Author Topic: Would You Trade Mookie Betts or Pay Mookie?  (Read 14180 times)

Re: Would You Trade Mookie Betts or Pay Mookie?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 02:41:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You have an in-his-prime MVP talent on your team, I don't really care what sport, you pay that guy and figure out the rest later.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
You have an in-his-prime MVP talent on your team, I don't really care what sport, you pay that guy and figure out the rest later.

Every other major American sport has some sort of slotted contracts, though. So I think baseball is a unique situation. Plus they're 1 of probably 15 guys on your team who all have equal importance.

Football has 1 guy touching the ball every play.
Basketball you're 1 of 5 guys on the court, playing 70-80% of the game.
Hockey you're 1 of 6 guys on the ice, and playing 50% of the game.
Even soccer, the unique impact of one guy is so important because you don't score often.

I just think baseball is different.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 02:51:14 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I would only trade him if I knew he was leaving in Free Agency

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 03:02:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Having MVP or Cy Young level players on your baseball team clearly matters in MLB. Washington had Rendon, Soto, Scherzer and Strasburg. Boston had Mookie, Martinez, Price and Sale. Houston had Altuve, Bregman, Springer and Kuechel. Cubs had Bryant, Rizzo, Lester and Arrieta.

The Sox have a guy that could be one of those players for years to come. Getting rid of him because of financial reasons when you are a team whose value has increased a whopping, on average over the last 18 years, $327 million a year is foolish asset management.

Imagine crying poverty, whimpering about the need to get under luxury tax line, whining about how $400 million over 12 years isn't affordable, all while increasing ticket prices as you increase your franchise value $327 million a year like you have every year for 18 years?

Just pay the man!

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 03:21:54 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Having MVP or Cy Young level players on your baseball team clearly matters in MLB. Washington had Rendon, Soto, Scherzer and Strasburg. Boston had Mookie, Martinez, Price and Sale. Houston had Altuve, Bregman, Springer and Kuechel. Cubs had Bryant, Rizzo, Lester and Arrieta.

The Sox have a guy that could be one of those players for years to come. Getting rid of him because of financial reasons when you are a team whose value has increased a whopping, on average over the last 18 years, $327 million a year is foolish asset management.

Imagine crying poverty, whimpering about the need to get under luxury tax line, whining about how $400 million over 12 years isn't affordable, all while increasing ticket prices as you increase your franchise value $327 million a year like you have every year for 18 years?

Just pay the man!

It's more than just money for a team that is way above the tax.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax

Beginning in 2018, clubs that are $40 million or more above the threshold shall have their highest selection in the next Rule 4 Draft moved back 10 places unless the pick falls in the top six. In that case, the team will have its second-highest selection moved back 10 places instead.

But I still see your point!

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 04:54:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Just pay the man!

Beginning in 2018, clubs that are $40 million or more above the threshold shall have their highest selection in the next Rule 4 Draft moved back 10 places unless the pick falls in the top six. In that case, the team will have its second-highest selection moved back 10 places instead.

10 spot drops in the 2nd round or in Rule 4 drafts mean nothing.

Baseball, more than just about any sport, is pretty much hit or miss from the first few picks on until the end of the draft. You could just as easily miss horribly on your first 3 rounds of picks and grab an MVP level/Cy Young level/All-Star level guy in the later rounds of the draft.

That's the way baseball has been forever. If you simply draft really good, regardless of where your picks land, in baseball that's all that matters. Look at the Dodgers. They generally draft late in rounds but they always seem to have one of if not the best farm systems in the league.

But I get your point. There are other competitive reasons not to be in the luxury tax, especially if you feel you aren't good enough to compete for a title. Great business people don't waste tens of millions a year if they don't have to.

I just think they bumbled this from the start and two to three years ago, they should have overwhelmed him with an offer and kept him from going to free agency. They played themselves right into losing their best asset because they tried to give him "fair market value" low ball offers for years.

Now it's too late.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 05:02:25 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Just pay the man!

10 spot drops in the 2nd round or in Rule 4 drafts mean nothing.

Baseball, more than just about any sport, is pretty much hit or miss from the first few picks on until the end of the draft. You could just as easily miss horribly on your first 3 rounds of picks and grab an MVP level/Cy Young level/All-Star level guy in the later rounds of the draft.

That's the way baseball has been forever. If you simply draft really good, regardless of where your picks land, in baseball that's all that matters. Look at the Dodgers. They generally draft late in rounds but they always seem to have one of if not the best farm systems in the league.

But I get your point. There are other competitive reasons not to be in the luxury tax, especially if you feel you aren't good enough to compete for a title. Great business people don't waste tens of millions a year if they don't have to.

I just think they bumbled this from the start and two to three years ago, they should have overwhelmed him with an offer and kept him from going to free agency. They played themselves right into losing their best asset because they tried to give him "fair market value" low ball offers for years.

Now it's too late.

I agree with this, but also the $$ component is really broken. Small market teams regularly pass on players high in the draft due to signing concerns, while big market teams buy better talent. Ditto for international prospects.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 05:32:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am okay with a trade. I understand Mookie was MVP in 2018 and was an integral part of why we won the WS that year. I also understand that Red Sox essentially have unlimited money; but I do think it's odd that he wants to go to FA no matter what and will seemingly go to whatever team pays him the most.

I also think Mookie is a bit overrated. No way do I seem him anywhere near the level of Trout and I could see whatever team who signs him too a mega-deal regretting it. The Harper deal was killer and WAS won the WS right after he left - it's not like the Sox won't be able to figure it out eventually.

Not that I think we will be better off without him and I do wish we could get an elite prospect in return, but dumping another big contract and acquiring a couple of high end prospects isn't terrible. Sometimes teams need to reset and that's what I see them doing here.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 06:07:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Trade him. Unfortunately I think he was leaving in FA anyways.