Author Topic: Tatum: Too concerned with stats  (Read 2751 times)

Tatum: Too concerned with stats
« on: December 26, 2023, 01:58:10 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
There's been a lot of times where teams will dribble out the clock at the end of the game when it's clearly over.

The rule is it's a team turnover not a player turnover whenever the shot clock runs out and the player is just standing/dribbling the clock out with both sides conceding.

Yesterday's game. I knew right away why White was perplexed at Tatum at the end of the game. Tatum jumped out of the way so he "wouldn't" be stuck with the turnover and thus creating a turnover for White instead of just receiving the ball and getting a team turnover.

Obviously a minor situation in the grand scheme of things but it shows that Tatum is too concerned with stats and doesn't have knowledge of the game rules.

Re: Tatum: Too concerned with stats
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 02:31:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
I saw this more as a good-natured ribbing sort of thing, and it seemed as if White took it for the intended humor once he realized what Tatum was doing.,
Yup

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 02:44:30 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1013
I don't have a problem with padding stats as long as you win the game.

Padding stats and still lose then that's an issue

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 02:44:39 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 700
  • MASTER OF PANIC
A few things...

Tatum as the point forward with the second unit is 10 times better than Jaylen playing hero ball with the second unit.

Mid 3rd and 4th Tatum running the offense was very good. Celtics went inside over and over, traded baskets with LA and then shut the door when the Lakers cracked. They did not fall into the 3 point barrage late in the game.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 02:54:29 PM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
It didn't put Tatum in a good light. Win or lose. It looked petty. White was just a better man at not continuing to make it an issue.

I'm starting to think does Tatum do other things that don't hurt his stats like shooting a three quarter shot before the quarter is over so he's three pt percentage doesn't go down.

Does he rip a rebound harder when it's between him and a teammate so he can get credit for the rebound?

Does Tatum being the superstar leader understand all the rules of the game because he clearly didn't on that play.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 03:00:18 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
There's been a lot of times where teams will dribble out the clock at the end of the game when it's clearly over.

The rule is it's a team turnover not a player turnover whenever the shot clock runs out and the player is just standing/dribbling the clock out with both sides conceding.

Yesterday's game. I knew right away why White was perplexed at Tatum at the end of the game. Tatum jumped out of the way so he "wouldn't" be stuck with the turnover and thus creating a turnover for White instead of just receiving the ball and getting a team turnover.

Obviously a minor situation in the grand scheme of things but it shows that Tatum is too concerned with stats and doesn't have knowledge of the game rules.

I think even that is overstating this.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 03:16:20 PM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21

I think even that is overstating this.

The amount of threads talking about minor situations involving the Celtics or crazy trade offers on here. Not sure your reply holds up considering it's mainly a Celtics chatroom.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2023, 03:27:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25611
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I saw this more as a good-natured ribbing sort of thing, and it seemed as if White took it for the intended humor once he realized what Tatum was doing.,

Yeah, seems like they had a laugh about it.

But hey, the one stat I'm okay with the team trying to avoid is turnovers. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 04:03:28 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This is overthinking it lol

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2023, 04:45:55 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 378
I think it was a little odd and, yes, a little selfish. But he’s clearly not driven by stats as his almost 2 less fga per game attest to.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2023, 09:12:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
I don't think Tatum is any more concerned with stats than any of the other great players.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2023, 06:19:45 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 980
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Tatum wants to win MVP, but one turnover will not make any difference. Much ado about nothing.

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2023, 07:13:26 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Tatum wants to win MVP, but one turnover will not make any difference. Much ado about nothing.

Even that doesn't make sense in my opinion. It's not an achievable goal. You have the obvious ones in Jokic, Embiid, Doncic, Antetokounmpo and the emerge of Gilgeous-Alexander, Haliburton and the "old" guys Curry, Davis, James, Leonard and Durant still performing at a high level. Arguably Tatum isn't a top 10 player right now.

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2023, 08:18:12 AM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'd still prefer to see Tatum get to 6 ast per game.  This is simply giving up 1.5 step back three with a guy in his face for a drive and kick.  His teammates will shoot a better percentage than him when they are wide open on the kick, especially if it is white or Holliday that receives the kick, or Hauser.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2023, 09:04:52 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1779
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't know why Tatum is taking the blame here. White was the one who passed it to Tatum at the last second for some random reason. When you are dribbling out the clock, you don't pass it to your teammate to possibly take the TO instead of you. I've heard the rule about it being a team TO instead of personal TO, but is that always true?