Author Topic: Wiseman Doesn't Want to be Drafted by Minnesota' Because of Karl-Anthony Towns  (Read 5734 times)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Smart man. This type of attitude should be encouraged.

Players should not have their own careers stymied by a team. Path your own life.

Interestingly enough this is the approach they use in Europe with their soccer leagues. There is no draft, any rookie can sign with any team and can go to whoever team gives them the most money or who they feel they have the best chance of success with. In addition there is no salary cap so teams like Manchester City, Real Madrid and Paris St Germain can offer hundreds of millions for a player because they have rich owners. It's ironic that Europe with its so called social democracies have much less restraints on trade on players than the American sports leagues in the so-called heart of capitalism.

Of course, the negative is that in each league there's only 2 or 3 competitive teams any given year and it's the ones with the richest owners because they always have the best players and the best rookies. The other teams are just there to make up the numbers.

That sounds absolutely awful. Not all that different from the MLB in terms of spending, but at least they hold a draft. I am a Red Sox fan, but even I acknowledge the advantages they've had on other teams through the years. I was pretty bummed when the Dodgers beat the Rays in the WS this year. Like, of course the Dodgers are perennial contenders - they spend so much money.

Of course some of this occurs in the NBA with a team like the Lakers having a major FA (or trade, in the case of AD and Kobe) advantage over teams like the T-Wolves or Grizzlies.

As this relates to Wiseman - usually this type of thing would get me a little mad at the player, but going #1 and then sitting behind Towns for years would be pretty terrible for his career. And neither one of them really has any business playing PF full-time.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Of course he does. He saw what happened in Philly with all their lotto bigs that they stymied
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Mo bamba vol 2

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Mo bamba vol 2
Lol, what? Their only similarity is they are both long athletes...

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I am normally annoyed by any prospect refusing workouts however in this situation I can't say that I blame him in this situation. The league with a few exceptions is firmly entrenched into the 1 big style of play. Even a team like the Lakers when push comes to shove goes to 1 big and 4 perimeter players in the most high leverage situations. If KAT was AD or Giannis then I would fault Wiseman for his decision but KAT is an inside the paint big and not defensively versatile.

If Wiseman is drafted #1 by Minn he will be thrust into a starting role where at 7'1 he will likely be forced to defend down against smaller players and allow KAT to defend the paint. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
NBADRAFT has dropped him down to 11?? lol

Is there baggage?   I mean there was the moving expenses situation that caused him to withdraw from college.   He compared his game/ceiling (along the lines) to Giannis and Durant  ;D

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Is there baggage?   I mean there was the moving expenses situation that caused him to withdraw from college.   He compared his game/ceiling (along the lines) to Giannis and Durant  ;D
If he falls that far we have to trade up for him, assuming his personality checks out.

No way he does

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If he falls that far we have to trade up for him, assuming his personality checks out.

No way he does

Yeah, no way.

Nbadraft.net has been all over the place this year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

No way he does

Yeah, no way.

Nbadraft.net has been all over the place this year.

That’s pretty much been the case in the twenty or so years I’ve followed that site.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team