Author Topic: Jeff Green will be the successor to Paul Pierce  (Read 5898 times)

Jeff Green will be the successor to Paul Pierce
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
I think its obvious. His physical measurements make him a good answer to Lebron who we will be facing for years.

The fact that Danny Ainge originally drafted him then wanted him back later says a lot.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:31:13 PM by lightspeed5 »

Re: Jeff Green will be the successor to Paul Pierce
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:01:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think its obvious. His physical measurements make him a good answer to Lebron who we will be facing for years.

"Jeff Green will be the successor to Paul Pierce" =  "Jason Bateman will be a great successor to Mikey Fox as the next Teen Wolf"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »

Offline cdiraimo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
2 totally different players.  One is a stud... the other definitely is not. Green could start or come off the bench and it wouldn't matter, he will average 14-16ppg and get some decent numbers but I don't think he will ever have that competitive spirit that makes PP great.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
One is a stud... the other definitely is not.

Yeah, that's basically my opinion.  Paul Pierce is a Hall of Famer.  I'd be surprised if Jeff Green ever made an all-star team, even though he seemingly has the physical tools to do so.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I think Green, in the right environment, can become a very good player. I think that place is here, with Doc and this team. So...I'm thinking his best years are to come. However...as others have mentioned...Paul Pierce is going to the HOF. Sure, its possible Green can get to that point (he does have plenty of talent)...but comparing anyone to a future HOFer isn't a good idea.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »

Offline cdiraimo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
And hey I didn't mean to jump all over that first comment either. I liked the Green trade for perk I thought Green was going to be the difference in us winning more 'Ships.. has a tone of talent he just needs to play with the confidence that makes the greats like pierce great.

I'm all for resigning him I see him as a, one day with tons of work put in, mini josh smith running/dunking on people getting the crowd hyped. He can learn a lot from KG if they're both back next year

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
They have different games and I haven't seen anything to indicate that Jeff Green will ever reach Paul Pierce's ability.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58

The fact that Danny Ainge originally drafted him then wanted him back later says a lot.

Presti drafted him, not Danny. Boston picked for Supersonics.

I hope he resigns this summer cause I think he can be a very good player but successor to Pierce? C'mon

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Funny how he's become a better player in people's minds through not playing. My hope is that we sign and trade him for some value, then pick up a high potential wing from the draft. Jeff Green is alright but he has yet to prove to me that he should be a starter.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:51:33 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Funny how he's become a better player in people's minds through not playing. My hope is that we sign and trade him for some value, then pick up a high potential wing from the draft. Jeff Green is alright but he has yet to prove to me that he should be a starter.

He already was a starter on okc to the point of 15ppg....I think he can be about on par to deng for the bulls

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

He already was a starter on okc to the point of 15ppg....I think he can be about on par to deng for the bulls

Jeff Green's 15 ppg for the Thunder was as a power forward, not a small forward.

And on defense he was a sieve. If he was scoring 15 he was letting in 20.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 05:55:45 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Defense can. Be taught...see ray allen

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 05:58:01 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Green's garbage.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Being a successor does not mean we're comparing the two players. It just means he'd take the torch as primary 3 as PP winds down his career.

And garbage? Like Bradley was garbage? He'll be fine.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I think Jeff Green can be Pierce's successor, for sure, just not in a literal sense of replacing what Pierce can and has done.

Jeff Green could be Pierce's successor, as follows:

1. He succeeds Pierce as the starting small forward for the Boston Celtics
* To me that's where the comparison stops.

2. I think Jeff Green can start at the SF position on a championship team - but as a 3rd or 4th option, almost a role player in the starting line up that possesses 2 other max guys. He could kind of be like Danny Ainge was for the 80's Celtics.

3. I think on an uptempo team, with Rondo at the helm, Green could average 18 and 7 at SF but wouldn't be your go to guy by any stretch of the imagination. Just a great 3rd or 4th option.

4. I like his size & athleticism at the 3. I think Ainge grabbed him because he thought he could be a great compliment on a high octane team, which is coming soon to a Boston Celtics court near you.