Author Topic: We didn't "take" the game  (Read 4058 times)

We didn't "take" the game
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I thought the game was there for the taking last night, but once again, we just didn't kick Miami in the teeth and "take" the game. Two particular parts of the game stand out to me:

1. With three minutes to go in the first half we're up 15 and we end up with a 7 point half time lead instead of stretching it to a 20 point lead.
* Hollins botched what should have been an easy dunk by putting it on the floor in the paint. Dude, you're 7 foot and you can jump, just gather and slam it - make it simple.

2. I thought Ray took a rushed Three point shot early in the shot clock as well and there were a couple other bone headed plays in that stretch.

They just really mismanaged those three minutes.

Then, later in the game with a 92-87 lead and again a 94-90 lead - you just have to figure out the way to close the game in those situations.

But this team, for some reason, seems to often times give it back to the opponent all the time. I have absolutely zero comfort level with this team when they have a lead. Over the years I've seen so many games that I think should be done that they somehow screw up.

It's the same thing as having the 18 point lead in game four against Philly in the second half - and then losing?

I love the team - love their heart - am so thankful for the five years of great basketball. But that game was theirs to take and they didn't "rip it" out of Miami. You have to "take" these games.

I think the Rondo non call in OT was complete BS - but I also think we should have had a 20 point lead at the half and the game should have been over when the score was 92-87...you have to somehow, some way close in that position. if you don't you deserve the loss.

Re: We didn't "take" the game
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
PS: Now this series is about mental toughness. I still think we can win the series but it's going to start with game 3 and I'm curious to see what kind of fire the guys play with from start to "finish". They win these next two games, which I think they are totally capable of, it's anybody's series.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:36:22 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
It should have been at least a double digit lead at the half.

The Heat got to the line a bunch of times and kept making 3 pointers they don't usually make.

Of course the C's didn't close that 2nd quarter as best as they could have but the Heat got great play by Chalmers to keep them a float.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yep and who put them on the line?   The NBA refs.   They kept them in the game until we got tired and blunted our momentum at every turn.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
You watch KG get mugged when he's trying to get post position. Then Pierce gives LeBron a little bump as he's coming across the lane and it's a whistle...

Still, I thought that game was ours to take and we had certain moments when we could've sealed it and failed to do so.

The end of the first half was huge to me.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The game was right there for the taking for sure. When Miami starts there run, the Celtics need to counter by attacking the basket. Most notably, where were the KG post ups during the bleeding. Instead the C's kept firing from the outside. And then they got a little lax in transition defense. The Game is 48 minutes.

AS Doc said, the C's need to play a smarter game (on both ends). The Celtics absolutely belong in this series and I expect a war in Boston on Friday. Go Celtics!

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Nope, we didn't take the game.  We lost it.  Miami's pretty good.  I still think we are in this series, though.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
First thing why we lost, is that our team had a 11 point lead and not able to close the game. Referees are extra thing. Seem to be a mental rpoblem not being able to close the games. We see the same symptom Vs 76rs, but mostly during the regular season.

Second thing: players has to play as a team. No selfish plays.
Third issue: more pressing VS Wade or Lebron.
Fouth issue; to have good FG%

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
The game was right there for the taking for sure. When Miami starts there run, the Celtics need to counter by attacking the basket. Most notably, where were the KG post ups during the bleeding. Instead the C's kept firing from the outside. And then they got a little lax in transition defense. The Game is 48 minutes.

AS Doc said, the C's need to play a smarter game (on both ends). The Celtics absolutely belong in this series and I expect a war in Boston on Friday. Go Celtics!

it alwats seems when we get in a jam we seem to rush or panic a little and get away from what was working. why take jumpers when the cheat were making a run???? why???? GO TO THE [dang] RACK!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
There were two plays that I thought would have tipped the C's over the edge. That missed three from Ray with less than three minutes left that would have put the C's up 8 and the missed shot by KG in OT that would have put them up 4.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Nope, we didn't take the game.  We lost it.  Miami's pretty good.  I still think we are in this series, though.

meh, i do not know man. The toughest thing about this loss is morale and mental toughness. Games like that just completely destroy teams will and morale. They put up a great effort, ahould not have even been close (thanks refs) and then get hosed at the end. That is when many throw their hands up in the air and say what the hell more do we have to do to win? we cannot do any more! I feel to have any chance to win this series we had to get a split in miami. Way too much pressure now against a [dang] good miami cheat team to get two straight wins at home. how are we going to play any better at home than we did last night? seriously? We did everything and got HOSED. I doubt we ever get a 15 point lead at home like we did in miami. Too much to overcome now i feel. The team knows the refs are biased and it is a 8 on 5 game now. Stuff like that kills morale.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
There were two plays that I thought would have tipped the C's over the edge. That missed three from Ray with less than three minutes left that would have put the C's up 8 and the missed shot by KG in OT that would have put them up 4.

yep. you took the words right out of my mouth. I was thinking the same thing. both those plays probably would have sealed the deal for us. I'm sick. Literally sick again. Really? what more can we do? The fix is in I am afraid and I am not a conspiracy theorist but they are ruining the game.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
TP to Mr. October. That's pretty much is exactly how I feel, what I think. I've made other post about this. That is, this team just some how seems to "not" take advantage of it's best opportunities when they are there for the "taking". They either, as you say, throw up jumpers that aren't going in, get kind of complacent on D, or also as you say, stop doing what was working for them. Rondo even said as much in one interview. He said, "when we get leads we kind of stop doing what got us those leads...".

It's a trait of this team that is really tough to deal with as a fan. They dominate and then give it all back over and over again.

Examples:
1. Game seven of the 2010 finals. I know, I know, "but the refs..." How about, you have a 16 point lead with about 14 minutes to go to win a world championship. Get bloody, go head long for the rim, figure out, somehow, some way to seal the win, having a 16 point lead. C'mon...

2. I think it was 2010 also, we're rolling along down the stretch with home court advantage over everyone. And then, in about a two week stretch it's like we checked out, losing home court advantage to the top 4 to 5 teams we most likley would have to go through to win a ring. And a fair share of those losses were to cellar dwellar teams. Would have been really awsome to have had the home court for games 6 and 7 against the Lakers in 2010 but we "gave" it away.

3. Bosh goes down, you'd think we'd be licking our chops knowing if we close out Philly quick, we can get some much needed rest. Game 2, we come out with the second worst playoff performance in Celtics history. Philly ties the series 1-1.

4. Game 4 against Philly, 18 point lead in the 3rd, with an opp to go up 3-1 heading back to Boston for game 5, close and get rest...lose.

5. 15 point lead against Miami in game 2 with three minutes to go in the half. Instead of executing and stretching it to 20 and sticking our foot in their teeth, we make a series of bone headed plays on offense and defense - 7 point half time lead...

I love the team. I know the refs gave us some bad calls - but the above games were ours to take -but we gave them back. WE get lackadaisical, uninterested.

If your jumpers aren't going in, go head long for the rim. We never do that, we keep taking the jumpers.

You have to attack, attack, attack.       

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The refs and whistles came out that finals too.  Look at the FT disparity.

I don't buy the we are jumpers excuse either.  Rondo wasn't shooting a jumper when he got hit in the face.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

meh, i do not know man. The toughest thing about this loss is morale and mental toughness. Games like that just completely destroy teams will and morale. They put up a great effort, ahould not have even been close (thanks refs) and then get hosed at the end. That is when many throw their hands up in the air and say what the hell more do we have to do to win? we cannot do any more! I feel to have any chance to win this series we had to get a split in miami. Way too much pressure now against a [dang] good miami cheat team to get two straight wins at home. how are we going to play any better at home than we did last night? seriously? We did everything and got HOSED. I doubt we ever get a 15 point lead at home like we did in miami. Too much to overcome now i feel. The team knows the refs are biased and it is a 8 on 5 game now. Stuff like that kills morale.

I guess that remains to be seen, but I think this is a very mentally strong team, and their morale will not be broken by what has transpired in the first two games.

We shall see back in Boston.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson