Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120149 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Have to agree with Pick'NRoll...

the eye test...risking bodily harm to get the ball...favors Smart over most players in the league.
And this juices up his teammates.  When he dives to the ground to tie up an opponent it probably doesn't count as a loose ball...absolutely love having Smart on this team.

If he weren't a good PG as well maybe I wouldn't mind sacrificing all that he brings for more offense..but he's done a good job as a facilitator as well as the intangibles/defense.

If he's too expensive...look at Melvin Frazier and Jevon Carter....but don't expect them to see as many minutes as Brad gives Smart. 

And also look to balance his loss with a better 3 point threat whose defense is good enough to see minutes...Khyri Thomas please!  DiVincenzo? Allen?  (none will be as good as Smart...at least not next year).

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/1009236648331218944

Smart on the Mavs’ radar for the right price. IIRC, Smart is from the Dallas area, too, and similar to OKC (his college home) he’s elevated his play in Dallas throughout the years. So they could be a serious threat to sign Smart away from us. I wonder what they’re considering the right price, though.

Edit: Seems like they’re looking for him only if cheap (e.g. < $10M per), which I think we’d match.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/marcus-smart-could-be-targeted-by-mavs.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:20:19 PM by jpotter33 »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In some sort of vacuum I'd say he is worth that. In the NBA he's not. I'm beginning to think there will be less and less players making money like this. There will be big stars on teams making around 20 or more, one MLE guy, and like that's it

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I can't see MS getting the $15M he craves unless he's doing it on one or 2 year deals. As Eja said above, the "middle class" of the league is going to dwindle under this cba.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
In some sort of vacuum I'd say he is worth that. In the NBA he's not.

I'm really trying to understand these two sentences...

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
In some sort of vacuum I'd say he is worth that. In the NBA he's not.

I'm really trying to understand these two sentences...
Not to put words in his mouth, but I think he's saying relative to a $100 million + cap, Smart is worth $15 million. But in the current system where max players get most of the $$, it doesn't make sense to pay him that.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We will see what happens

Celtics draft Divicenzo for example

Celtics bid for Smart drops a couple of million

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
We will see what happens

Celtics draft Divicenzo for example

Celtics bid for Smart drops a couple of million

I really don’t think DiVincenzo makes it to 27.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://bostonsportsextra.com/boston-celtics/2018/06/marcus-smart-targeted-three-teams-per-reports

not sure how legit this source is

I can buy that Dallas could be interested.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
http://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/1009236648331218944

Smart on the Mavs’ radar for the right price. IIRC, Smart is from the Dallas area, too, and similar to OKC (his college home) he’s elevated his play in Dallas throughout the years. So they could be a serious threat to sign Smart away from us. I wonder what they’re considering the right price, though.

Edit: Seems like they’re looking for him only if cheap (e.g. < $10M per), which I think we’d match.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/marcus-smart-could-be-targeted-by-mavs.html

That's the hope, isn't it? That Smart gets some real interest from a team (or teams) unwilling to give him 7 figures a year so he comes back to Boston for, like 4 years/$44 mil.

I know this could result in him taking the qo just as well, but hopefully he's looking for the security of a long term deal.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
No rumors yet...  :o

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
can we re-sign him already! now that LeBron is out of the East, we need him more than ever!

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Is there anyway we can do right by Smart but avoid the Tax by some carefully structured deal going forward?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
can we re-sign him already! now that LeBron is out of the East, we need him more than ever!

We need Smart more because Lebron is gone?

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16

We need Smart more because Lebron is gone?

We need him to help ensure that our odds increase for winning the East now that Lebron is gone. Smart is a better distributor and point guard than Rozier. He also is much better defensively than Rozier. They really need to bring him back (I bet BS agrees).