Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 121315 times)

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
3 year, $33m deal for Dante Exum for Utah... Looks like Marcus's price range is $10m-12.5m per year.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Been saying for a long time that I thought this would be an awful market for Smart and in it he was probably worth around the non-taxpayers MLE. I would have no problem bringing Smart back at his QO if he thinks he can finally start hitting shots to prove his value is over $10 million a year. I also have no problem returning him on a 4 year $7-8.5 million a year contract.

This is a perfect market for Danny to resign RFAs in. There's no money out there. Danny needs to squeeze Smart some to get a team friendly deal.

Can't ever see Smart being much more than he is now. His QO is the best he's going to do. Is he even meeting with anyone?

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
Follow Follow @KeithSmithNBA
More
Sources: The Boston Celtics and Marcus Smart have had good dialogue on a new deal. Still not there, but neither side is in a rush. With cap space drying up around the league, it lessens need to rush to a new contract.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
3 year, $33m deal for Dante Exum for Utah... Looks like Marcus's price range is $10m-12.5m per year.

Pffft and who is going to pay that aside from the C's? Let's not bid against ourselves here..

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

Pffft and who is going to pay that aside from the C's? Let's not bid against ourselves here..
It is NOT bidding against yourself.  If you don't pay them this year you will have to face paying them next year in a larger market as unrestricted free agents.  The deal you sign them to this year likely saves you money in future years.  Smart has very little incentive to take a below market deal.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'd be shocked if Smart took the QO.

Ben Gordon and Greg Monroe are the only two players who have taken the QO and struck gold.

Reasons why Smart doesn't take the QO:

1. Hi playing style: which will never change, unless he's playing cautiously which is highly unlikely to happen. The more cautiously he plays. the less he's worth.

Smart's balls-to- the-wall playing style has made him susceptible to injury throughout his career. An injury during a QO year will make his stock plummet. Hard to see him chance that.

2. There are 4 teams left who can offer him more than the MLE: Philly, Hawks, Bulls and Kings. He will use them to leverage us, but will give us a hometown discount

I can see him getting 10-12 a year from us for 4 years=financial security for life.

I really fear that Philly squeezes us. I would hate to see him there. Maybe the Wilson Chandler acquisition chills Philly for us.

Bulls have Dunn and Payne and Grant and LaVine still hanging.

Hawks can offer the most.

Don't fear Sac....Smart would NEVER play for such an organization.

3. Ainge and Stevens love him as the heart and soul of the team. If push comes to shove, I see them matching up to 4 yrs/50mil or do a S&T.

Very very few players in any year play for the QO. Not only are you betting on yourself to take a big step forward, but you are also betting you wont be injured.

Smart is too smart for that.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Ben Gordon and Greg Monroe are the only two players who have taken the QO and struck gold.

1. Hi playing style: which will never change, unless he's playing cautiously which is highly unlikely to happen. The more cautiously he plays. the less he's worth.

Smart's balls-to- the-wall playing style has made him susceptible to injury throughout his career. An injury during a QO year will make his stock plummet. Hard to see him chance that.

2. There are 4 teams left who can offer him more than the MLE: Philly, Hawks, Bulls and Kings. He will use them to leverage us, but will give us a hometown discount

I can see him getting 10-12 a year from us for 4 years=financial security for life.

I really fear that Philly squeezes us. I would hate to see him there. Maybe the Wilson Chandler acquisition chills Philly for us.

3. Ainge and Stevens love him as the heart and soul of the team. If push comes to shove, I see them matching up to 4 yrs/50mil or do a S&T.

Very very few players in any year play for the QO. Not only are you betting on yourself to take a big step forward, but you are also betting you wont be injured.

So Smart is worth double Baynes? This just seems like overpay to me..

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Been saying for a long time that I thought this would be an awful market for Smart and in it he was probably worth around the non-taxpayers MLE. I would have no problem bringing Smart back at his QO if he thinks he can finally start hitting shots to prove his value is over $10 million a year. I also have no problem returning him on a 4 year $7-8.5 million a year contract.

This is a perfect market for Danny to resign RFAs in. There's no money out there. Danny needs to squeeze Smart some to get a team friendly deal.

Can't ever see Smart being much more than he is now. His QO is the best he's going to do. Is he even meeting with anyone?

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
Follow Follow @KeithSmithNBA
More
Sources: The Boston Celtics and Marcus Smart have had good dialogue on a new deal. Still not there, but neither side is in a rush. With cap space drying up around the league, it lessens need to rush to a new contract.

I like that news. It makes it sound like both parties are focused on keeping Smart here now it's just a negotiation. Hopefully one that keeps him here for 4 years.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Smart vastly outplayed Exum over the course of their careers so far. If Exum gets 11 per, Smart must be looking for 14-15 per. Not sure the Cs go that far and I dont see any teams offering that either. Not

Smart might just bet on himself again and sign QO if Cs don't get close to what he wants.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

It is NOT bidding against yourself.  If you don't pay them this year you will have to face paying them next year in a larger market as unrestricted free agents.  The deal you sign them to this year likely saves you money in future years.  Smart has very little incentive to take a below market deal.

The Celtics may prefer paying less this year and more in the future.  They will be close to the luxury tax and will most certainly go well over the following season.  By staying under that this year, they can avoid the repeater penalty for a year. 

I can see Smart settling for the qualifying offer.  He seems to believe in himself and that he's a better shooter than his results have shown.  If he can get his 3 point percentage above 35%, he will get a large contract.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Um, yes. Getting Smart for 4/40 would be a steal. In an era where perimeter offense rules the day, having a savvy, big, and versatile perimeter defender like Smart is essential. This kind of contract is even better looking given the uncertainty of Brown’s next contract if we max out Kyrie this summer.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Smart vastly outplayed Exum over the course of their careers so far. If Exum gets 11 per, Smart must be looking for 14-15 per. Not sure the Cs go that far and I dont see any teams offering that either. Not

Smart might just bet on himself again and sign QO if Cs don't get close to what he wants.

"Vastly"

Exum is a far far better offensive player and it's not even close. Defensively Smart is better but not so much it takes away his offensive deficiencies.

Give me Exum all day,unless you're going to talk some "intangibles"...

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Doesn't sound too far off to me.  I think DA got a good deal on Baynes -- Smart much younger, still growing his game (IMO), and plays nearly twice the minutes Baynes does.  MPG will probably decrease, but Smart's value in the 4th is very high.  Marcus won't start, but he'll finish.   

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

This is a good summary of who has cap space left but keep in mind that Boston is approaching the Tax limit.  I don't see them going over the tax for Smart.  They probably don't need to.  It is not the money as much as starting the clock on the repeater status.  As I have said before, 4 years starting at $8M with an opt out after two years.  With annual escalation, that might end up at close to $37M for 4 years or if he plays well and stays healthy, he can opt out and go for a bigger contract in a better market.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Doesn't sound too far off to me.  I think DA got a good deal on Baynes -- Smart much younger, still growing his game (IMO), and plays nearly twice the minutes Baynes does.  MPG will probably decrease, but Smart's value in the 4th is very high.  Marcus won't start, but he'll finish.

Are you sure?  Who will he play over in the 4th?  Probably not Kyrie or Brown.  Not over Tatum or Hayward.  I think that is the problem.  Unless someone is hurt, i don't think Smart is a game closer for us anymore.