Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 273662 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2010, 04:38:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have nothing to add right now, but I am making plans for my annual trip to London, and can't wait for some real Ale.  I know its not really the American thing to like Beer that is not ice cold, but to me, there is nothing better than English Cask Ale. 

« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Chincook IPA just got done bubbling in my primary. By Saturday I will have switched it to my secondary, and will have started my Oatmeal Hybrid breakfast stout!

Tis a good season for beer in my house.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #152 on: November 11, 2010, 04:59:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Since I put this (rather dumb in retrospect) comment in the thread I've been on a little journey and had, somewhat, of an epiphany.

I would hereby like to rescind the above comment and it's sarcastic undertones.

A few things happened.  My wife spotted me leafing through a book called '1001 beers to try before you die' and my son "bought" it for me for fathers day.  That, coupled with the fact that I have lost my drinking partner for the last 6 months (another C's fan is due in January) means that I've been trying a frikkin lot of beers !!!

So ... if it's okay, I want in on this thread?!

I'm not gonna gush all at once .. so here's a few bits ..

--fairweatherfan mentioned it earlier and I got a case of it for my birthday (he's a good boy, my boy!) .. but Brooklyn Breweries Black Chocolate Stout is a must ..  it is 10% though so be careful  :P

--Maredsous 8 is a phenomenal Belgian beer if you can get it.

--Porterhouse stout (brewed in Ireland) is great in bottles (plain, celebration, wrasslers) and is now my go-to beer ..

--Yes, yes .. you American types make some very very nice beers!!! 

TP, welcome to the dark side - drinking microbrews is a great hobby since once you transition to a beer or two a night it's nice and relatively cheap to make those beers good ones. 

Based on what you're describing here are a couple of recommendations:

Strong stout beer with excellent flavor.  9% so it packs a bit of a punch.

Hennepin is a saison-style ale; belgian styled but brewed in Central New York.  My #1 favorite beer.

Have fun discovering new beers - post em here so I can try them too!

« Reply #153 on: November 11, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
Tee hee!  Send 'em in the post to me, eh!

I've actually got an ace up my sleeve too .. my sister lives in Belgium and comes home every few months (there are only a few craft/micro brewers here in Ireland - big volume drinkers tho!) .. last time, for my birthday, I got about 15 of Antwerps finest!  I've just finished the last one which I was saving til I was ready (like the good padawan learner that I am). It can't be bought in a shop/store - here's the link ... http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm
Tasted great! completely unfiltered and tasted like it had black treacle in it .. It was the 8 .. I think I might like Belgian 8's !!

Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #154 on: November 11, 2010, 05:34:17 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Chincook IPA just got done bubbling in my primary. By Saturday I will have switched it to my secondary, and will have started my Oatmeal Hybrid breakfast stout!

Tis a good season for beer in my house.

Sweet.  I've got to make a starter tonight, the weather looks to be gorgeous so I'm brewing a smoked bock this weekend. 

« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Tee hee!  Send 'em in the post to me, eh!

I've actually got an ace up my sleeve too .. my sister lives in Belgium and comes home every few months (there are only a few craft/micro brewers here in Ireland - big volume drinkers tho!) .. last time, for my birthday, I got about 15 of Antwerps finest!  I've just finished the last one which I was saving til I was ready (like the good padawan learner that I am). It can't be bought in a shop/store - here's the link ... http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm
Tasted great! completely unfiltered and tasted like it had black treacle in it .. It was the 8 .. I think I might like Belgian 8's !!

I'm so jealous, Westvleteren is famous for its quality and how [dang] hard it is to get any.  Enjoy.

« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2010, 06:00:02 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Im fom Croatia, and we have some great beers over here. My favorite is Ozujsko, really refreshing and tasty,and it's better to me than any other imported sort of beer(I'm 21 so I still have much to experience).
Beer rocks!!!
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »

Offline steefp2

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Hi guys, i'm mostly a lurker but being a big beer lover i just had to share some of my favorites.

I'm from belgium so i mostly only drink belgian beers but if you ever have the chance to drink any of these, go for it.

Some classic and well known great beers (atleast in belgium) include:

Orval, Rochefort and Chimay. These are all trapist beers which basically just means they're brewed by monks (or atleast they were). These are all pretty dark and strong beers; ideal for winter drinking.

some new ones i recently tried and enjoyed greatly (didn't know them before but love trying new ones) are:

Lucifer and Tumulus Magna
oh and can't forget Wolf (the wolf 7 is my favorite)

i think someone mentioned the Maredsous 8 aswell which i agree is a fantastic beer.

I dont know many american beers but i'm hoping to come over sometime next year to see a c's game so if you guys could recommend some great ones, that would be much appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, guess i'm just enthusiastic.

« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
I love getting a few guys together for taste teasting unlabeled beers, and at least with pilsner/lighter beers, can always get a consensus of which is "best" when one is Samuel Adams Light.

It doesn't matter what the other beers are (but they have to be blind taste tests).

Try it if you don't believe me!

« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2010, 08:51:28 PM »

Offline BostonIrishGuy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • BEAT L.A.! Yankees s****!
Off Shoot to this Whats the Best semi widely available IPA? I go through stages with beer and right now I'm on an IPA kick

Depends on where you live. 

My IPA of choice right now is the Smuttynose IPA.  Partly I love the picture of the two old men on the label.  But also it is a good IPA from a bottle, IMHO.

When I lived in CA (moved to NYC in July '09), my IPA of choice was Lagunitas, with Racer 5 a close 2nd.  These need to be poured into glasses to be fully enjoyed.

Agree with this guy here, whenever I go visit my cousin in Northern CA, I always enjoy Lagunitas IPA or Bear Republic Racer 5. I even found these two here at a local packy in Charlestown, hell yeah.

Locally, man I love me some Harpoon IPA and Beer Works brown ales. Also, you can NEVER go wrong with Sam Adams Octoberfest.  ;D
I believe in God, Family, and The RED SOX!

« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
allagash curio, MAine made belgian style blonde ale, aged in jim beam casks. mmmhmmmh good.

« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4659637284_bc4270f050_o.jpg

Sorry, I can't post the label since it has an "expletive" in it.

But dang, that was a good beer!

« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Not the best I've had but certainly not the worst, either.

« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Amazing beer.  The cherry flavor was quite subtle, I thought.  Very thick, luscious, sweet-but-not-cloying doppelbock, with all of the kind of subtle roastiness and dark-fruitiness.  I've heard it described as kind of port-like, and I'd agree with that.  A big beer, but no harsh alcohol notes.  Warming. 

« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2010, 12:10:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Amazing beer.  The cherry flavor was quite subtle, I thought.  Very thick, luscious, sweet-but-not-cloying doppelbock, with all of the kind of subtle roastiness and dark-fruitiness.  I've heard it described as kind of port-like, and I'd agree with that.  A big beer, but no harsh alcohol notes.  Warming. 

I'll have to look for this. I am not a big fan of Widmers' Hefeweizen (just doesn't taste like a true hefe to me), but I did like their Cascade ale when I last tried it on tap.

This weekend marks the annual Holiday Ale Festival here in Portland. I hope to attend at some point, with or without the SO. Here's what plans to be on tap:

http://holidayale.com/mitem-2010-beer-lists/standard-release.html

I'll happily report any findings later.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague