Author Topic: The Bash Danny Ainge thread  (Read 19979 times)

Re: The Bash Danny Ainge thread
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Ainge is arrogant. Always has been. Not tweaking the roster in the offseason and then not making a move at the deadline was just dumb.

Don't mind him gettin Kyrie but he should have moved Rozier over the summer. Him not seeing that would be an issue was shortsighted.

Biggest failure to me is overvaluing Jaylon Brown. Should have made a deal with the Spurs for Leonard. But he was "saving" everything for Davis and well now we will have basically a college team with a broken down useless Gordon Hayward.

Boston will be scrappy and a tough out but not near the level we expected nor Danny thought at this point.

I expect this to be Danny's last year as he retires. He made the right call not to trade for Davis. But it is all the steps over the last year leading up to it i have an issue with.

Team makes game 7 of ECF and is expected to add two All-Star players, but the complaint is that he should have "tweaked" the roster in the off-season? ???

Yes by trading the biggest malcontent in the room. Should have dump rozier...now we are going to be stuck with him.

« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2019, 09:26:26 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Ainge failed in that he didn't correctly read the room at the deadline.  He should have known Irving wasn't happy.  He should have listened when Davis said he didn't want to be here.  He should have done something to try to fix the locker-room (to appease Irving) and make the team better since the conference was wide open for the first time in years. 

Ainge failed in that he didn't do anything to improve the roster since the Irving trade 2 years ago.  The team was stuck in neutral and not very good and Ainge didn't do anything to fix it.  Sometimes you have to make a trade just to change the culture. This team needed a culture change.

Ainge failed in that for years we kept hearing about Ainge acquiring a superstar.  That was Ainge's plan, and yet when superstar after superstar became available, the only one he really went after was BY FAR the weakest of the superstars.  Can't give up Smart, Crowder, and a late 1st for George.  Can't give up Brown for Leonard or Butler.  Have to save the assets for Davis.  Then can't give up Tatum for Davis. 

Ainge failed.  Period. 

Yup. Ainge has to own this, he blew it big time.

And Kyrie is justified in wanting to leave at this point. Ainge failed at his job, Stevens is incapable of relating to star players, and the fan base is full of scum bags intent on running Kyrie out of town. Kyrie would be an idiot to waste his best years here.

This team isn't worthy of my time nor attention right now. I'll come back to the team when Wyc gets his stuff together and gets some people running the team that are competent. Ainge has lost his fastball and seems content to rest on his laurels while the Lakers pass us in titles. Stevens is a college coach pretending to be an NBA coach despite clearly being in over his head.

It's utterly disgraceful they way things have transpired the last few seasons. And worst of all, we're probably stuck with Terry Turd as our starting PG for the near future.

Boards seem to be in their feelings  ;D

Danny is one of the best GMs in the league... and unless you've forgotten Kyrie isn't the easiest player to coach... check the Cavs coaching history. Kyrie is simply not a Celtic and I'm not sure why you all want him to stay. The Nets will learn just like we had to... not every superstar is a Kawhi...

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Ainge failed in that he didn't correctly read the room at the deadline.  He should have known Irving wasn't happy.  He should have listened when Davis said he didn't want to be here.  He should have done something to try to fix the locker-room (to appease Irving) and make the team better since the conference was wide open for the first time in years. 

Ainge failed in that he didn't do anything to improve the roster since the Irving trade 2 years ago.  The team was stuck in neutral and not very good and Ainge didn't do anything to fix it.  Sometimes you have to make a trade just to change the culture. This team needed a culture change.

Ainge failed in that for years we kept hearing about Ainge acquiring a superstar.  That was Ainge's plan, and yet when superstar after superstar became available, the only one he really went after was BY FAR the weakest of the superstars.  Can't give up Smart, Crowder, and a late 1st for George.  Can't give up Brown for Leonard or Butler.  Have to save the assets for Davis.  Then can't give up Tatum for Davis. 

Ainge failed.  Period. 

And Kyrie is justified in wanting to leave at this point. Ainge failed at his job, Stevens is incapable of relating to star players, and the fan base is full of scum bags intent on running Kyrie out of town. Kyrie would be an idiot to waste his best years here.

This team isn't worthy of my time nor attention right now. I'll come back to the team when Wyc gets his stuff together and gets some people running the team that are competent. Ainge has lost his fastball and seems content to rest on his laurels while the Lakers pass us in titles. Stevens is a college coach pretending to be an NBA coach despite clearly being in over his head.

It's utterly disgraceful they way things have transpired the last few seasons. And worst of all, we're probably stuck with Terry Turd as our starting PG for the near future.

Danny is one of the best GMs in the league... and unless you've forgotten Kyrie isn't the easiest player to coach... check the Cavs coaching history. Kyrie is simply not a Celtic and I'm not sure why you all want him to stay. The Nets will learn just like we had to... not every superstar is a Kawhi...
I would have been perfectly happy if Ainge traded Irving at the deadline.  But you should never be ok with losing valuable players for nothing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Ainge failed.  Period. 

This I agree with. Kyrie is a turd. He did not fit here and I do not think anyone in Boston even wants him back. Kyrie was a pointless Celtic who accomplished zero here. Ainge took a gamble. Did not work out. Now it is time to figure out how to construct a team that fits Steven's system.

The Hayward injury has set the Cs back big time. 2 wasted years from him. This needs to be a bounce back year for him. He cannot fade into the crowd anymore.

Ainge prolly should have moved Kyrie at the deadline. Got some sort of picks or players. Now we get zero. I think he was hoping it would work itself out and playoffs would jump start everyone. Just a miscalculation.

« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
So many hot takes. Ainge failed because Crowder pushed Hayward. Ainge failed because he misread how mature Kyrie is. Aine failed because like 14 other GMs he had no idea that the gangly, raw, 6'8 kid from Greece would transform into the best player in the NBA.

I fully expect the Celtics to be a much better team next year. The biggest problem this year was chemistry. Brad wants buy-in from everyone, and Kyrie never bought in, or at least only intermittently. He did his own thing, then when the team didn't win he threw the younger players under the bus. This naturally led to resentment and a fractured locker room. With far less talent than will be on the team next year Brad took the Celtics to back to back Eastern conference finals. Year 6 of a rebuild? Not winning a championship is a rebuild? We had several excellent years a series away from the finals and I expect that we'll have another deep playoff run next year once everyone buys in.

Someone predicted earlier in this thread, with utmost confidence, that Tatum and Brown will never be elite players. Never be superstar players. That we should have traded them for one-year rentals of established superstars. Absolutely the wrong move. Both could easily develop into top players in the NBA. If you look at the stats of many of the players at the pinnacle of the league now they compare very favorably.

First three years in the NBA
Kawaii: 7.9, 11.9, 12.8
Butler: 2.6. 8.6, 13.1
George: 7.8, 12.8, 17.4
Harden: 9.9, 12.2, 16.8

Brown: 6.6, 14.5, 13
Tatum: 13.9, 15.7

And Brown and Tatum had to defer to a domineering Kyrie on a team loaded with veterans (and Rozier) who always wanted shots. Ridiculous to claim that the Celtics will have no possibility of contention in the future when they have 2 of the best wings in the NBA for the foreseeable future.   

I'm excited. I want to see what the team can do when everyone buys in to the system and the young talent is allowed to flourish. The NBA is going to look very different next year - likely Kawaii, Durant, Butler, Kyrie and others are moving teams. How good will Toronto be without Kawaii? What happens if the Bucks lose Middleton? There's great opportunity here if the Celtics recover their scrappy roots that brought them to the ECF for two years. I don't want divas and malcontents. I want a hardworking team that supports each other and buys into the game plan. That's the best way forward, not throwing away a decade of competitiveness for one year of play from flaky superstars with feet already out the door.

« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2019, 09:37:06 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
Since this is a Bash Danny thread... my main complaint is that he only tries to build contenders through trades... so things like player development, feels like it only matters to him in order to increase value of assets to flip. Kawhi will get the headlines, but the growth of Siakam was just as important to the Raptors.

With the bevy of draft picks we got, we should have realized that our next contending team will have to be built through the draft like GS as opposed to through trades like our Banner 17 team.

« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Doesn't matter if Kawhi would have stayed. You trade Jaylen Brown for Kawhi and try to win a ring this year.

Then he might stay. And now that Davis wants to go to LA everybody makes more excuses for Ainge, he did the right thing by not giving up our young assets.

Actually it's his job to know that the asset that he's been holding out for for the last 3 years has no interest in staying in Boston.

so essentially he's just wasted our time over the last three years with all these non moves of literally nothing besides Hayward. No Kanter for free, No Orlando big man, no Terry Rozier for Serge ibaka no Jaylen Brown for Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green.

Didn't trade for Paul George and he stayed in Oklahoma City the guy sat on his hands made no moves while Toronto went storming past us the Bucks, made great acquisitions all year we did nothing.

« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
Since this is a Bash Danny thread... my main complaint is that he only tries to build contenders through trades... so things like player development, feels like it only matters to him in order to increase value of assets to flip. Kawhi will get the headlines, but the growth of Siakam was just as important to the Raptors.

With the bevy of draft picks we got, we should have realized that our next contending team will have to be built through the draft like GS as opposed to through trades like our Banner 17 team.

Well, by keeping Brown, Tatum, Smart and maybe Rozier, isn't that what we appear to be doing? Those guys are 21, 22, 25 and 25. Plus I think Williams has great upside. 

« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2019, 09:42:45 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Danny loves collecting assets but has a hard time parting with them. So many deals he could have made to improve this team he passed on or did not pursue. Now they are stuck having to make 3 first round picks and going to be a very young team.

This is ok...but the window we all thought was wide open 2 years ago does not exist. We are now starting over.

« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2019, 09:43:09 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I respect DA because he did exactly what I wanted him to do. You offer everything except Brown and Tatum and hope you steal Davis.

« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2019, 09:44:43 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown

Well, by keeping Brown, Tatum, Smart and maybe Rozier, isn't that what we appear to be doing? Those guys are 21, 22, 25 and 25. Plus I think Williams has great upside.

I hope so... but far too often these players become "available" in trade talks... I can't ever remember Steph or Klay being "available"

« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Would people have traded Tatum, Brown, Smart, Mem pick, #14 and 3 future unprotected 1sts for AD? Because that would be the necessary amount to beat the Lakers haul.

If you'd be happy with that you at one mad loon

« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2019, 09:45:50 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
We all need to respect the fact now that maybe Rozier had a reason to be a malcontent. That maybe he is that player scary Terry who brought us close to the promised land. Lets see how things fall now that the ball is out of Kyrie hands.

I'm wondering if there is a bigger douce bag then Kyrie in Celtics history. I was a supporter of Kyrie up until the trae yesterday. Now we know Kyrie is gone.

« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I hope so... but far too often these players become "available" in trade talks... I can't ever remember Steph or Klay being "available"
Klay was nearly traded for Kevin Love IIRC
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
We all need to respect the fact now that maybe Rozier had a reason to be a malcontent. That maybe he is that player scary Terry who brought us close to the promised land. Lets see how things fall now that the ball is out of Kyrie hands.

I'm wondering if there is a bigger douce bag then Kyrie in Celtics history. I was a supporter of Kyrie up until the trae yesterday. Now we know Kyrie is gone.