Author Topic: A Cs fan's dilemma  (Read 4382 times)

A Cs fan's dilemma
« on: January 15, 2009, 11:07:14 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Been awhile since I've posted, but I have what I think might be an interesting question so I figured I'd throw it to the board.  As some of you may know, my new job has me basically living alone; my GF is in a different state so we see each other only every few weeks or so.  Most of the people I work with are married with kids, so I spend a lot of time by myself.  The downsides of this are pretty obvious, but the upside is that I get to live the bachelor lifestyle for a year or two, including watching an unhealthy number of NBA games. 

Anyway, in looking ahead to this weekend's games, I see that the 2 teams ahead of us in the East (Orlando and Cleveland) are playing the 1 team ahead of us in the West (Lakers), in LA on Friday and Monday nights, respectively.  My question is, who should I root for when watching what should be a good couple of games?  Orlando and Cleveland losing obviously helps us climb the ladder in the East, which is more immediately useful to our playoff chances, but that would require cheering for the Lakers, which I don't know if I can stomach.  I'm not mean-spirited enough to root for a rash of injuries or for the earth to swallow the Staples Center whole, either.

So what's the best stance for a dedicated Celtics fan to take?  I'm leaning toward rooting for Orlando and then hoping the Cavs lose to the La...<hurp> the Lak...<HHUURRRPP>...the other team.

Re: A Cs fan's dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Been awhile since I've posted, but I have what I think might be an interesting question so I figured I'd throw it to the board.  As some of you may know, my new job has me basically living alone; my GF is in a different state so we see each other only every few weeks or so.  Most of the people I work with are married with kids, so I spend a lot of time by myself.  The downsides of this are pretty obvious, but the upside is that I get to live the bachelor lifestyle for a year or two, including watching an unhealthy number of NBA games. 

Anyway, in looking ahead to this weekend's games, I see that the 2 teams ahead of us in the East (Orlando and Cleveland) are playing the 1 team ahead of us in the West (Lakers), in LA on Friday and Monday nights, respectively.  My question is, who should I root for when watching what should be a good couple of games?  Orlando and Cleveland losing obviously helps us climb the ladder in the East, which is more immediately useful to our playoff chances, but that would require cheering for the Lakers, which I don't know if I can stomach.  I'm not mean-spirited enough to root for a rash of injuries or for the earth to swallow the Staples Center whole, either.

So what's the best stance for a dedicated Celtics fan to take?  I'm leaning toward rooting for Orlando and then hoping the Cavs lose to the La...<hurp> the Lak...<HHUURRRPP>...the other team.

tough call, i personally am rooting for a split while we clean up. I can live with an orlando win as long as clevland losses.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

tough call, i personally am rooting for a split while we clean up. I can live with an orlando win as long as clevland losses.

Orlando beats Lakers
and
Lakers beat cleveland
my less worst. ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:31:24 AM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
Tough call.  It makes me think about a conversation I had with a co-worker the other day, who do you hate more, Kobe or James.  Then I realized that I hate them both equally, so root for no one.

In this case, you have to stand on your values and beliefs, for me, I say never root for the Lakers.  Never.

"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I personally feel the Magic are going to earth at some point.  That shooting can't be sustained for a long period of time.  So I would definitely be rooting for them to beat the Lakers.

For the Cavs @ Lakers, it's a little tougher.  But since it's a home game for the Lakers, they're expected to win.  And the chances of the Celtics facing the Cavs in the playoffs are greater than facing the Lakers, so HCA against the Cavs is more crucial, IMO.

But either way, with the way the Lakers, Cavs and Magic have been playing, it will just be good to see one of those teams lose each night.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Don't root for a team, just try to enjoy the performances of individuals.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88
Most logically I'd have to root for Orlando to beat LA, and then for LA to beat the Cavs.  Sadly my Laker hate overcomes all logic, so I'm rooting for LA to be 0-2

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:55:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
BTW, regardless of how these games turn out, we actually have a great chance to catch up or pass all 3 teams in front of us.  Here's each team's sked between now and the All-Star Break:

Cleveland:
@Chicago, New Orleans, @LAL, @Portland, @Golden St, @Utah, @Sacramento, @Orlando, LAC, @Detroit, Toronto, @NY, LAL, @Indiana, Phoenix

LAL:
Orlando, Cleveland, "@"LAC, Washington, San Antonio, Charlotte, @Minnesota, @Memphis, @NY, @Toronto, @Boston, @Cleveland, OKC, @Utah

Orlando:
@LAL, @Denver, Boston, @Miami, Indiana, Cleveland, @Toronto, Dallas, LAC, @Indiana, New Jersey, Denver

3 pretty tough slates of games, especially for Cleveland and the Lakers (who are mediocre on the road).  We could easily be back in 1st by the All-Star break if we continue to build our momentum and beat the teams we should beat.  Big if the past month or so though.  Here's hoping...

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think homecourt over cleveland is more important than homecourt in LA...I have full confidence we can win in LA, And i have no confidence whatsoever about winning in cleveland, so best scenario is Magic beating the Lakers, Lakers beating the Cavs, and all 3 of them hitting a rough patch somewhere unexpected
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
BTW, regardless of how these games turn out, we actually have a great chance to catch up or pass all 3 teams in front of us.  Here's each team's sked between now and the All-Star Break:

Cleveland:
@Chicago, New Orleans, @LAL, @Portland, @Golden St, @Utah, @Sacramento, @Orlando, LAC, @Detroit, Toronto, @NY, LAL, @Indiana, Phoenix

LAL:
Orlando, Cleveland, "@"LAC, Washington, San Antonio, Charlotte, @Minnesota, @Memphis, @NY, @Toronto, @Boston, @Cleveland, OKC, @Utah

Orlando:
@LAL, @Denver, Boston, @Miami, Indiana, Cleveland, @Toronto, Dallas, LAC, @Indiana, New Jersey, Denver

3 pretty tough slates of games, especially for Cleveland and the Lakers (who are mediocre on the road).  We could easily be back in 1st by the All-Star break if we continue to build our momentum and beat the teams we should beat.  Big if the past month or so though.  Here's hoping...

I agree that Orlando will coome to earth.  You can only stay hot for so long while relying on the 3.

As for the Cavs upcoming schedule......I am not sure why this looks so tough.  At worst, the Cavs will split with the Lakers and possibly lose to Portland on the road.  Outside of those 2 teams, who do you think will give the Cavs fits?  NO possibly, but the Cavs are unbelievable at home.  Make Chris Paul a jump shooter and take your chances.

Orlando's next 6 games are brutal

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Cleveland:

LAL:

Orlando:

I agree that Orlando will coome to earth.  You can only stay hot for so long while relying on the 3.

As for the Cavs upcoming schedule......I am not sure why this looks so tough.  At worst, the Cavs will split with the Lakers and possibly lose to Portland on the road.  Outside of those 2 teams, who do you think will give the Cavs fits?  NO possibly, but the Cavs are unbelievable at home.  Make Chris Paul a jump shooter and take your chances.

Orlando's next 6 games are brutal

Utah and Orlando on the road would appear to be tough games as well. detroit is also no pushover in the palace.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:21:14 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
Orlando will be tough if they are making 50% of their 3s.  But, of course, any team is tough when they are doing that.  Cavs play tough enough defense that this shouldn't be an issue.  Cavs should also have Z back by then. That will help extend the floor and get Howard out of the middle.  I would look for he Cavs to attack Howard to try and get him in foul trouble early.  Who is Orlando's inside presence once Howard sits?

Utah could be tough at home.  Cavs usually play them well on the road.

Cavs were up 16 on Detroit last time at the palace before they fizzled out on the back end of a back to back.  I am pretty confident they should be able to handle the Pistons. 

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »

Offline idrinkdetergent

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
Can't I just hope somehow the Lakers and Cavs can both lose the game? Some fluke rule that makes them both get a loss. Because my  Laker hate doesn't allow me root for them even against the Cavs. So I'm putting my hopes on both of them losing somehow and then being mad one won.
"Sam Cassell was heckling on the sideline when I walked down, He looked at me and was like, ‘You're getting the ball, I know you're getting the ball!'
said Allen.

And did Cassell, a man of many words, have anything to say after that?

"No, I told him he needed to wear a tie."

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
Can't I just hope somehow the Lakers and Cavs can both lose the game? Some fluke rule that makes them both get a loss. Because my  Laker hate doesn't allow me root for them even against the Cavs. So I'm putting my hopes on both of them losing somehow and then being mad one won.

As a Cleveland fan, I have this same dillema this week, just in the NFL.  I loathe both teams in the AFC championship right now

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
It would benefit the Celtics more if the Cavs especially lose and possibly the Magic too.  But there is no way on earth I can cheer for a Lakers win.   No way.  ever.