Author Topic: The Raptors are the biggest cry babies in the league  (Read 9558 times)

Re: The Raptors are the biggest cry babies in the league
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
Anyone see that gang sign flashed by the Raps player in the first video of GG dunking  ;)

Pape Sow if I remember correctly ;) He was making fun of Gerald's missing finger but it looks like a "menacing hand gesture".

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
this isnt "biddy ball".....screw the raptors.  if the roles were reversed, i wouldnt like it, but i wouldnt cry about it. 

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Now the raptors are just being foolish. I know it sucks to go 0-4 against a division rival but come on. How were Rondo and Powe supposed to know they'd finally decided to give up the way they were fouling to stop the clock and attempting threes. Dunking in the final seconds of a blowout is one thing this was a 4 point game almost cut to one. Oh and the coach calling a time out and running to a play to spite the Celtics is the epitome of class  ::) 
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 05:47:41 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
1. The Toronto Sun is a third rate tabloid. The whole chain is (its across Canada and heck it has a Sunshine Girl every day).

2. The Raptors are a whiny organization that has never done anything and never will.

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I've lost my faith in fans on a national level. They did it to the Pats, and now the Celtics. This would be a non-issue if it were any other team. That dunk was far from climactic, or a crescendo, or any other word that I'm not that familiar with. Actually, this reminds me of a Nets game (possibly elimination? 02-03 playoffs?) where Kidd launched a meaningless half-court three that went in as the buzzer sounded. Nobody on the court cared despite the crowd reaction. Some bitter, irrational C's fans cried and whined. No one else cared in the slightest. That shot  wasn't disrespectful at all. It was meaningless.

There is no hope for getting a fair shake from now on as I see it........

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »

Offline klg05

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
"Interesting how that works.  I jump with giddy excitement every time something negative happens to the Raptors or Blazers.   Oddly enough, the best team in the league just whooped us (the Cavs) and yet I still have very little negative to say about them.  Kudos to LeBron-nation."

Yeah, except for the "Boston sucks" chants.  Not classy at all.  I hate it when the "Yankees suck" chants start at Fenway.  I guess what goes around comes around.

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 07:06:05 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
0:05   Trevor Ariza personal foul (O.J. Mayo draws the foul)   
0:02   Marc Gasol lost ball (Kobe Bryant steals)
0:01   Kobe Bryant makes dunk   
0:00   End of the 4th Quarter
0:00   End Game

It was a very similar situation (the score was 103-96 before that last second dunk).

I remember some fans making some noise about this - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/96130-kobe-bryants-unecessary-finish

; but I didn't find any mention on the Memphis press, nor comments from the Memphis players:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/dec/22/lakers-and-pau-drop-grizzlies-105-96/

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
The whole sporting community hates Boston.  I understand it completely with the Red Sox.  The team portrayed itself as the good guy underdogs the the Yankees empire built on filthy Steinbrenner bucks, but the Sox were the 2nd highest payroll for years.  And when they won the national championship, the media shoved them down everyone's throats for years.

But with the Patriots it has always been sour grapes.  They were the best team in the league for too long.  And now the Celtics are just victims of the cities overall sports success.

That explains the fans.  The raptors just have an inferiority complex.  I guess this means Jose Calderon won't be inviting Rondo over for tea.  Drats.

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Sweeping the Raptors will be one of the highlights of the season for me.  I can't help but feel like their fan base is full of annoying whining nits.  Beating that team and watching those ninny's squirm is a joy.  Just a joy.

I'm not very fond of Laker fans, either.  Obviously.  But I would have hated the Lakers regardless...

The only other fan base that has negatively impacted my perception of a team is the Portland Trailblazers.  I came into this season expecting to follow that team.  What's not to like about them, right?  Plus... I live in Seattle and they are now broadcasting their games for us locally.  But I've since been incredibly turned off by their whiney, grating little punk of a crybaby fanbase and have zero interest in following that team anymore.  Add to that their ghastly announcing team (one of them has a "blakey" festish) and their organization's recent threats regarding Miles... that team is dead to me.

It's rare that I want a team to get destroyed just to tick off a group of fans. 

Interesting how that works.  I jump with giddy excitement every time something negative happens to the Raptors or Blazers.   Oddly enough, the best team in the league just whooped us (the Cavs) and yet I still have very little negative to say about them.  Kudos to LeBron-nation.

I feel exactly the same way, especially about the Blazers. Before the first game against the Blazers in the Garden, they wer hyping it up and creating the is psuedo-rivalry. They get so pumped to play us, and I have no idea why. We've never had any important games or playoff series against them, we just beat them in the regular season in routine games, and they make this big deal out of it. I hate the Blazer fans.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 07:40:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

It was a very similar situation (the score was 103-96 before that last second dunk).

I remember some fans making some noise about this - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/96130-kobe-bryants-unecessary-finish

; but I didn't find any mention on the Memphis press, nor comments from the Memphis players:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/dec/22/lakers-and-pau-drop-grizzlies-105-96/

The thing is that Kobe raced down the floor to get that Dunk. What Rondo & Powe did was basically just an after thought play. He was there by himself, and Powe was running full speed and he just bounced off the floor and Powe finished. They were way to open right under the basket. It was kind of like Rondo looked at Powe and they both were thinking "hey! Why Not? It is right there".

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 07:44:59 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I live in Toronto and I know guys in the organization and even they admit that it's true. I wish I could portray to you guys how much I do and you should loathe the Raptors. I've been saying for years so I won't go off on it but they're pathetic. If any of you watch hockey just look at the path the Leafs have taken, same management, and same results. They're the closet version of the L.A. Clippers, they're about selling tickets, not winning rings. J.O.'s a cash grab, Colangelo and his running style fill up the seats, they get cheap coaches for the same reason, they play a run and gun style for the same reason, blech, pathetic.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Jose calderon is one player in this league that i just can not stand.

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 10:22:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Somewhere in heaven Red Auerbach is smoking a very expensive cigar, shaking his head, wondering what has happened to the game he helped to pioneer.

When he coached men played the game and if you didn't like what they guy was doing you put him on the floor hard the next time he came in the lane. When he coached men played the game and if you didn't want a guy dunking a ball on you to end a game you manned up, played defense and made sure he never got that chance. And when he coached the victors got to smoke cigars, throw the ball in the air in celebration, and do whatever you wanted because you earned the right to do so.

Basketball is a competition, a battle, a war. It isn't some gentleman's game where etiquette and certain unwritten guidelines exist. You get to trash talk. You get to pump your fist. You get to posterize your opponent. Foul language is used all the time on the court and basketball is a contact sport with hits, checks, elbows, pushes, pulls, and take downs.

So maybe someone should tell this to the Raptors and some other teams in this league.

Heck I find the horrible flopping that certain types of players are renown for more insulting to me and the game than dunking a basketball with time still left on the clock to play.

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:35 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
BOO HOO!  :'(

honestly, they are just ridiculous. if they stopped whining about everything and played hard they could be a pretty good team.

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

The thing is that Kobe raced down the floor to get that Dunk. What Rondo & Powe did was basically just an after thought play. He was there by himself, and Powe was running full speed and he just bounced off the floor and Powe finished. They were way to open right under the basket. It was kind of like Rondo looked at Powe and they both were thinking "hey! Why Not? It is right there".

Well, it wasn't exactly equal, but still a very similar situation.

However, my point is more that although I personally think that the play was unnecessary and Rondo should have dribbled out, I also don't like the fact that Triano and some of his players are complaining about it on the media. I don't think that's the way you handle this kind situation; there are better ways of making your displeasure known to your opponent - as probably the Memphis players did. If a similar situation happens to the Celtics (being us the team dunked on) I hope Doc and the lads downplay the situation (publicly).