Author Topic: Buyout Candidate - Stackhouse  (Read 8096 times)

Buyout Candidate - Stackhouse
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The OKC / CHA / DAL deal involving Felton, Watson, Nazr M and Diop - watch this space. If Stack goes to OKC it'll be for his contract (which is only partially guaranteed after this year), and Priesti may not want him around the kids, especially considering he's injured anyway. Here's an update on his health status:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/011009dnspomavssider.3d2d59a.html

Could be a good signing for us if this thing goes down.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Buyout Candidate - Stackhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I was thinking this too.  I think he is a very good option if he is bought out.  Yeah, he is not what he used to be, but he is much better than the other options we have.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think he'll go to a contending team where he can get meaningful minutes.

What's the situation in Dallas? Don't they have a need for a SG/SF off the bench? They've been rotating Antoine Wright and Gerald Green in there this season. If Stack can't beat out those two for minutes, I'm not sure what he can bring to the table. [If it's just him butting heads with Carlisle, that's another story altogether.]
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was reading on Hoopshype that Dallas is now shopping Howard. That made me go Hmmmmmmm.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I think he'll go to a contending team where he can get meaningful minutes.

We meet both of those conditions.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Stack could come here and immediately take over (as long as he's healthy) all of Tony Allen's minutes.  Much rather have him out there in the playoffs.  25 minutes a game, a meaningful role but he doesn't have to be The Man for us.  Can't see how he would have a much better situation that here, although he's also the kind of player that I could see San Antonion making a play for.  Still doesn't solve the most fundamental issues our bench is lacking, but he'd absolutely help.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
other option is: just trade for the guy. if they care primarily about steering clear of money past 2010 send em giddens, TA & Scal. yes yes i'm aware they all stink but they're pretty thin on the wing, and get a prospect and a slasher. not like donnie nelson always makes logical trades....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Stack could come here and immediately take over (as long as he's healthy) all of Tony Allen's minutes.  Much rather have him out there in the playoffs.  25 minutes a game, a meaningful role but he doesn't have to be The Man for us.  Can't see how he would have a much better situation that here, although he's also the kind of player that I could see San Antonion making a play for.  Still doesn't solve the most fundamental issues our bench is lacking, but he'd absolutely help.

Isn't Stack a horrible defender though?  Not sure I want him on the floor for that many minutes if he's a bad defensive player.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I was reading on Hoopshype that Dallas is now shopping Howard. That made me go Hmmmmmmm.
Any conversation about Howard will start with Ray Allen.  I would still say: hmmmmm.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 02:18:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I think Stackhouse would be a great addition. He can come in off the bench for both paul and ray, and would be a much beter option than TA or any of the rookies at this point.There has got to be a rift between Coaching/Management which is leading to his lack of playing time. Stack is a good shooter with a high basketball IQ, and I would take him over Marbury any day of the week.

I would not trade for Josh Howard at any cost. We need intelligent basketball players, not distractions like Howard. Hes talented and still young, but if Dallas is trying to ship him out that should tell you something.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 02:23:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I think Stackhouse would be a great addition. He can come in off the bench for both paul and ray, and would be a much beter option than TA or any of the rookies at this point.There has got to be a rift between Coaching/Management which is leading to his lack of playing time. Stack is a good shooter with a high basketball IQ, and I would take him over Marbury any day of the week.

I would not trade for Josh Howard at any cost. We need intelligent basketball players, not distractions like Howard. Hes talented and still young, but if Dallas is trying to ship him out that should tell you something.

They couldn't wait to get Devin Harris out of town either.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Just want to point out that over his career Jerry Stackhouse hasn't been considered the best of locker room guys and went so far as to hold up an entire trade for Kidd because he didn't want to be traded. I don't remember all the details. But both in Philly and Detroit Stackhouse was not looked upon favorably as a "Team" type of guy.

Adding him and Marbury, if that is truly the Celtics ultimate goal if Marbury gets set free, would be a colossal disaster.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm not a big fan of this ageing Stackhouse. I don't think he's good enough anymore to be a reliable and quality 6th man of a championship team. He's not nearly as good as Tony Allen defensively and I'd rather add a shooter than another slasher if I'm looking for another wing backup (and if I were Ainge, I'd be doing that). That said, for the vet. min. salary or something similar, he'd be an awesome addition till the rest of the season.

But this scenario is extremely hypothetical, right?

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm not a big fan of this ageing Stackhouse. I don't think he's good enough anymore to be a reliable and quality 6th man of a championship team. He's not nearly as good as Tony Allen defensively and I'd rather add a shooter than another slasher if I'm looking for another wing backup (and if I were Ainge, I'd be doing that). That said, for the vet. min. salary or something similar, he'd be an awesome addition till the rest of the season.

Well, I think the only thing they would offer him would be the vet minimum.  And even if he isn't as good defensively as Tony Allen, he is still a vastly better overall player.  Yeah, he is not a 6th man of year candidate, but he is at least a veteran, who can make his own shot, has a decent outside shot, and should be able to play at least passable defense.

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 02:57:54 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

if this stupid trade (it's really useless for both Dallas and Charlotte) goes down, it's not extremely hypoythetical.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)