Author Topic: What do you think about the fan's whistle at Utah/GS that stopped play?  (Read 3188 times)

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
This made me think of the Blazers having 6 men on the court.

On Monday when Golden State was playing in Utah, a fan blew a whistle so everybody stopped playing.  Kyle Korver realized it wasn't an official's whistle so he ended up getting a wide open dunk cuz he kept playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiK51nxUiOY

Now I don't think this is as bad a call as the 6 men on the court, but it's up there with it.  When it seems like 9 of the 10 players on the court thought play was dead, something is obviously wrong.  I know the refs can stop or reset play over an inadvertent whistle and/or fan interference (and in this case we have both), so shouldn't they have done that here?

My problem with both this and the 6-on-5 is that both times it favored the home team.  And in both games the home team won by a small margin.  It's like home court advantage is getting a whole new meaning. 

(This is a few days old, but I haven't seen any discussion on it yet so I thought I'd bring it up, if it's already been discussed feel free to delete).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: What do you think about the fan's whistle at Utah/GS that stopped play?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think that's a tougher call than the 6 vs 5.

No rule was actually broken on the floor.

I'd hate if that happened to us, but I can understand the basket still counting.

There should be a ban on whistles in arenas to avoid a repeat.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:14:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
the fan whistle thing has happened before in games.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I think it is totally different thant the 6v5 on the court.  The 6v5 was avoidable if the refs had been competent.  The whistle was a wild card - a fan.

Now, I do think that fan should have been ejected (if they know who did it) and if they had season's tickets, they should be taken away.  I'm all about influencing the game as a fan, but not like that.  It's just cheap.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The NBA - where the new referee requirement tests are being able to count to five and distinguishing whether a whistle blown was your own - happens!!

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
I remember when I was like in junior high I had a buddy who asked weird scenarios like this all the time, what if we bring a whistle to the game and randomly blow it to confuse the other players? What if we take a big light and shine it in the opposing teams players eyes when they're shooting free throws? I guess all that stuff is legal after all.  ;)

Or I remember this stuff happening when we played in small high school gyms with only one scoreboard.  There could be 2 minutes left in the game, or 30 seconds, or even 10 seconds, but if we had the ball an opposing teams fan would start yelling out 4, 3, 2, 1! And if a player wasn't really aware of how much time was left they would throw up a desperation shot thinking the horn was about to sound.  Luckily I never had the ball in those situations cuz I might have launched a half court shot with 1:55 still left in the 2nd quarter and then probably never would have gotten back in the game ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:36:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The fan should be banned permanently from NBA venues. No place for that nonsense.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:09:57 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
stephen jackson was a pacer wasn't he? he should have went up and found the whistle.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
stephen jackson was a pacer wasn't he? he should have went up and found the whistle.

Hahaha oh man that's dark.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:17:19 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
To make it worse Korver travelled.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
To make it worse Korver travelled.

Nah man that's a crab dribble.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 10:56:48 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I remember when I was like in junior high I had a buddy who asked weird scenarios like this all the time, what if we bring a whistle to the game and randomly blow it to confuse the other players? What if we take a big light and shine it in the opposing teams players eyes when they're shooting free throws? I guess all that stuff is legal after all.  ;)

i think we all have someone we know like this, lol.  u made me think of a buddy of mine!