Author Topic: Blazers Issue Warning About Miles  (Read 16379 times)

Blazers Issue Warning About Miles
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:40:36 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Here is the full text of Miller's statement that was dispatched to rival teams Thursday:

"Team Presidents and General Managers,

"The Portland Trail Blazers are aware that certain teams may be contemplating signing Darius Miles to a contract for the purpose of adversely impacting the Portland Trail Blazers Salary Cap and tax positions. Such conduct from a team would violate its fiduciary duty as an NBA joint venturer. In addition, persons or entities involved in such conduct may be individually liable to the Portland Trail Blazers for tortuously interfering with the Portland Trail Blazers' contract rights and perspective economic opportunities.

"Please be aware that if a team engages in such conduct, the Portland Trail Blazers will take all necessary steps to safeguard its rights, including, without limitation, litigation.''

Blazers issue warning on signing Miles
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:41:13 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Via SI:
The Portland Trail Blazers have placed a warning to other NBA teams that if they signed Darius Miles and put him on the court, they may get sued, according to a report by Ian Thompsen from Sports Illustrated.

"The Portland Trail Blazers will take all necessary steps to safeguard its rights, including, without limitation, litigation,'' wrote Blazers president Larry Miller in an e-mail addressed late Thursday night to all NBA team presidents and general managers.

Miles has played in 8 preseason and regular season games, and is only two games away from having his full salary reinstated on the Blazers' payroll for this season and next. The ramifications from this would not only push Portland over the luxury tax this season, but eliminate their ability to sign a max free agent next season.

Here is the full text of Miller's statement that was dispatched to rival teams Thursday:

"Team Presidents and General Managers,

"The Portland Trail Blazers are aware that certain teams may be contemplating signing Darius Miles to a contract for the purpose of adversely impacting the Portland Trail Blazers Salary Cap and tax positions. Such conduct from a team would violate its fiduciary duty as an NBA joint venturer. In addition, persons or entities involved in such conduct may be individually liable to the Portland Trail Blazers for tortuously interfering with the Portland Trail Blazers' contract rights and perspective economic opportunities.

"Please be aware that if a team engages in such conduct, the Portland Trail Blazers will take all necessary steps to safeguard its rights, including, without limitation, litigation.''

Now I'm no lawyer by any stretch of the imagination, but doesn't this hamper Mile's professional career? Can he not in turn sue the Blazers for pretty much destroying any chance he had to play in the NBA again? 

Re: Blazers Issue Warning About Miles
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:41:40 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
The Blazers just ruined any chance Miles had at a comeback...

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:43:47 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
Beat me to it Jsaad! oh well mods, can delete my thread!

I'll just repost my reply.

Now I'm no lawyer by any stretch of the imagination, but doesn't this hamper Mile's professional career? Can he not in turn sue the Blazers for pretty much destroying any chance he had to play in the NBA again?

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Beat me to it Jsaad! oh well mods, can delete my thread!

I'll just repost my reply.

My thoughts exactly. This will blackball Miles from ever playing another NBA game. What a cutthroat statement.

Re: Blazers issue warning on signing Miles
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:48:20 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

thats the first thing that popped into my head when i read it.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 07:51:51 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
In all fairness, the Blazers don't have any legs to stand on. How can they prove a team signed Miles just to screw them over? They can't, the email was as a sign of desperation as opposed to a warning. Slimeball move from Larry Miller.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:01:04 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
In all fairness, the Blazers don't have any legs to stand on. How can they prove a team signed Miles just to screw them over? They can't, the email was as a sign of desperation as opposed to a warning. Slimeball move from Larry Miller.

Good (Tommy) point cm, there is no way the Blazers can prove sabotage. But, Miller is putting it out there that signing Miles will result in a burned bridge. Other teams might be hesitant to go down that road for a sub par SF coming off of a major injury.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 08:01:46 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

yup.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 08:03:44 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell

You know what, I'm going to call this prediction now... After this email backfires, Miller gets charged with blackmail for trying to payoff Miles not to sign anywhere this year!

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 08:04:46 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Let's sign Miles! ;D

Funny how Portland is trying to punk other teams into not signing him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 09:05:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I said on the front page I can not wait to see a team sign him and then get to take a look at the Blazer's lawsuit and how they plan to go about proving intent of a corporation to screw them financially if Miles is contributing on the floor.

Should make for some good old fashion comedy Perry Mason style. (Youngsters please ask mom, dad, grandma, or grandpa who Perry Mason is). GOD I'M OLD!!

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 09:19:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
As a lawyer, I can assure everyone here that this is the most bogus threat I have seen in a long time.  The only retaliation that other clubs could fear would be the Blazers refusing to do business (i.e. trades) with the club that signs him. I am disgusted with the idea that their attorneys would issue this threat.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's great to hear the 6 preseason games counted toward the 10.

After sending out that email, I hope Miles gets signed. I just don't see any team wanting him unless they are depleted with injuries.

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
As a lawyer, I can assure everyone here that this is the most bogus threat I have seen in a long time.  The only retaliation that other clubs could fear would be the Blazers refusing to do business (i.e. trades) with the club that signs him. I am disgusted with the idea that their attorneys would issue this threat.

Footey, do you think Darius has a case against the Blazers now?