Are you okay with that type of Money for Kyrie

Yes.
65 (76.5%)
No.
12 (14.1%)
If Rozier accepted an 80 million dollar extension, I'd rather trade Irving
8 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Poll: Are you okay with paying Irving 200 Million  (Read 8720 times)

Re: Poll: Are you okay with paying Irving 200 Million
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2018, 11:55:26 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It's my hope the NBA quickly fixes the stupid salary cap structure they currently have and we wont have to pony up that kind of money for anyone!!

This comment makes no sense. Are you telling us you think the top players should be paid less?

If so, that's a bizarre take. Many of the top players would actually fetch even larger contracts in a completely open market. And that aside, if you further limited max contracts all you would be doing is shifting the amount of money the players are guaranteed, in aggregate, to lesser talented players.

Do you really want to pay the top players in the league less just so you have to pay more for lesser talented players?

I could be in the minority but I dont think there should be max contracts at all. I think there should be a hard cap and teams can spend it how they wish. If somebody wants to give Lebron 90 mil a year because he is "the best player in the world" let them, but I dont see how somebody like Lebron should be getting the same 'max' contract as a guy like DeMar Derozen. You want to spen 90mil for lebron fine, now you have 110 mil for the rest of your roster. Let teams spend what they want for any given player  and force them to work the rest of their roster accordingly if they want to give a guy crazy money.
This would be infinitely worse for a team like the celtics.  We would not be able to pay all of our players with a hard cap as the team would be dismantled more that it would be under the current scenario.

I'd be okay with the old rules.  Pay your players what you want without the penalties.  That way you would have a huge advantage to keep your players, which is how it should be.

Of course, in a "free market" the team's salary could still balloon out of control.

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Good news is the max for his upcoming contract is going to be roughly $188 over 5 years.

Tp Fafnir. Was waiting for the Max for Him.

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 02:20:27 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

I just think this is A fair topic now, that Rozier has came so far so fast, Irving has been banged up his whole career, and after watching Hayward go down all season long is it really worth tying up that that much money on one player.

As opposed to letting him walk? When we traded our lotto pick for him, we already decided that he's either going to retire a Celtic or be traded for a player of equal value. Assuming he can still play basketball, he's getting the money.

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Rozier talk is insane. At least one dude over at Liberty Ballers tought he'd be getting the max. Is no-one around old enough to remember Mike James?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Think about it though...with this core - Hayward, Jaylen, Tatum, Al - are you better off with Kyrie or with Smart and Rozier?  This team's calling card is it's defense and Hayward's going to solve a lot of issues next year.  You can always find shooters.

Nothing is etched in stone - especially with Ainge calling the shots.  Let's see how Rozier plays next season.

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Think about it though...with this core - Hayward, Jaylen, Tatum, Al - are you better off with Kyrie or with Smart and Rozier?  This team's calling card is it's defense and Hayward's going to solve a lot of issues next year.  You can always find shooters.

Nothing is etched in stone - especially with Ainge calling the shots.  Let's see how Rozier plays next season.

I think this is a really valid question.  I'm not entirely sold that the team is better with Kyrie than without. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2018, 02:59:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think this is a really valid question.  I'm not entirely sold that the team is better with Kyrie than without.

My question is, who are we trading Kyrie for?  I don't think it makes any sense at all just to plan on letting him walk in free agency.  We'd need to get a serious asset in return.

At that point, I think there's a legit debate that the asset + Rozier is better for this team than Kyrie + Rozier. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2018, 03:02:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You can always find shooters.
In the distance Sam Presti collapses to the ground silently weeping

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

same here

we will out as to how far this unit makes it vs the team with Kyrie next season

I would not entertain extension talk with Kyrie until the end of next season (also need to see how his health holds up)

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 01:59:55 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I would plan on keeping Kyrie. 

Probably sell high on Rozier and sign Marcus Smart to a team friendly contract extension.  4/40 or 4/48 is palatable and reasonable considering despite his elite defense he still can't shoot.

The question is what could we flip Rozier for?  We can't afford to let him walk for nothing.  He's a valuable player who could start on half of the teams in the league and be an improvement.  And he's still young with further upside to reach.

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 02:10:20 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don’t think Danny has any reason to do anything drastic.

Play Smart against the market and resign him. Resign Baynes with the MLE.

See how next season goes and take it from there. I don’t believe it will ever come down to a Irving vs Rozier situation.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2018, 02:13:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

My question is, who are we trading Kyrie for?  I don't think it makes any sense at all just to plan on letting him walk in free agency.  We'd need to get a serious asset in return.

At that point, I think there's a legit debate that the asset + Rozier is better for this team than Kyrie + Rozier.
If Phoenix gets hosed in the lotto again I can see us moving for the 3rd/4th pick, and they trade one of Chriss/Bender with the 16th pick for a pick in the 6-10 range for a guy like JJJ/Carter.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 06:13:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

If Phoenix gets hosed in the lotto again I can see us moving for the 3rd/4th pick, and they trade one of Chriss/Bender with the 16th pick for a pick in the 6-10 range for a guy like JJJ/Carter.
Just to keep things in perspective.
There is NO WAY, Bender gets traded at age of 20, just when he got some meat on his bones and just after Kokoškov came in the club.
Kokoškov has a rep for developing young players and for the Suns to give up on a high lottery guy that young it would be foolish. On the other hand, Chriss has such low BBIQ, possibly in the bottom 3% percentile, and we, Celts have no use for those. Maybe after 10 years into his career, a la Gerald Green, but now, with our championship aspirations, I don't see it as a possibility. Both Bender and Chriss also have a much clearer path of development on the lowly Suns with a new coach, than just about anywhere else. Their stock can't be lower then it is now, therefore I don't believe they will get traded this summer.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 06:15:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Why on earth would they move for Kyrie, when there is such a tiny chance that he would stay?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2018, 06:18:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
To move Kyrie would be repeating Cavs mistake. Blunder.
I go by the:
You never trade away a guy that cannot be stopped from scoring logic.
If he can't walk at all, for years, then I'd reconsider.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:26:25 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."