Are you okay with that type of Money for Kyrie

Yes.
65 (76.5%)
No.
12 (14.1%)
If Rozier accepted an 80 million dollar extension, I'd rather trade Irving
8 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Poll: Are you okay with paying Irving 200 Million  (Read 8712 times)

Re: Poll: Are you okay with paying Irving 200 Million
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2018, 06:44:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Think about it though...with this core - Hayward, Jaylen, Tatum, Al - are you better off with Kyrie or with Smart and Rozier?  This team's calling card is it's defense and Hayward's going to solve a lot of issues next year.  You can always find shooters.

Nothing is etched in stone - especially with Ainge calling the shots.  Let's see how Rozier plays next season.

I think this is a really valid question.  I'm not entirely sold that the team is better with Kyrie than without.

My question is, who are we trading Kyrie for?  I don't think it makes any sense at all just to plan on letting him walk in free agency.  We'd need to get a serious asset in return.

At that point, I think there's a legit debate that the asset + Rozier is better for this team than Kyrie + Rozier.
If Phoenix gets hosed in the lotto again I can see us moving for the 3rd/4th pick, and they trade one of Chriss/Bender with the 16th pick for a pick in the 6-10 range for a guy like JJJ/Carter.
Just to keep things in perspective.
There is NO WAY, Bender gets traded at age of 20, just when he got some meat on his bones and just after Kokoškov came in the club.
Kokoškov has a rep for developing young players and for the Suns to give up on a high lottery guy that young it would be foolish. On the other hand, Chriss has such low BBIQ, possibly in the bottom 3% percentile, and we, Celts have no use for those. Maybe after 10 years into his career, a la Gerald Green, but now, with our championship aspirations, I don't see it as a possibility. Both Bender and Chriss also have a much clearer path of development on the lowly Suns with a new coach, than just about anywhere else. Their stock can't be lower then it is now, therefore I don't believe they will get traded this summer.
You misunderstood. I meant a team with a pick in the 6-10 range. Also I can see a team biting, they're getting a 1st back as well.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 08:21:34 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
This thread is preposterous. Irving is the best player on the team. Having concerns about signing him to a max if the team is worried about his LT health is legitimate. Thinking this is  a better team without him is ludicrous.

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Think about it though...with this core - Hayward, Jaylen, Tatum, Al - are you better off with Kyrie or with Smart and Rozier?  This team's calling card is it's defense and Hayward's going to solve a lot of issues next year.  You can always find shooters.

Nothing is etched in stone - especially with Ainge calling the shots.  Let's see how Rozier plays next season.

I think this is a really valid question.  I'm not entirely sold that the team is better with Kyrie than without.

My question is, who are we trading Kyrie for?  I don't think it makes any sense at all just to plan on letting him walk in free agency.  We'd need to get a serious asset in return.

At that point, I think there's a legit debate that the asset + Rozier is better for this team than Kyrie + Rozier.
If Phoenix gets hosed in the lotto again I can see us moving for the 3rd/4th pick, and they trade one of Chriss/Bender with the 16th pick for a pick in the 6-10 range for a guy like JJJ/Carter.
Just to keep things in perspective.
There is NO WAY, Bender gets traded at age of 20, just when he got some meat on his bones and just after Kokoškov came in the club.
Kokoškov has a rep for developing young players and for the Suns to give up on a high lottery guy that young it would be foolish. On the other hand, Chriss has such low BBIQ, possibly in the bottom 3% percentile, and we, Celts have no use for those. Maybe after 10 years into his career, a la Gerald Green, but now, with our championship aspirations, I don't see it as a possibility. Both Bender and Chriss also have a much clearer path of development on the lowly Suns with a new coach, than just about anywhere else. Their stock can't be lower then it is now, therefore I don't believe they will get traded this summer.
You misunderstood. I meant a team with a pick in the 6-10 range. Also I can see a team biting, they're getting a 1st back as well.
I get what you mean, I just don't think it is the right time to give up on 20 year olds while new HC is arriving and he still didn't get a chance to try them out. If 1st pick arrives (read Luka) they don't need machinations with other teams, they need an evaluation/consolidation from within.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:55:20 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2018, 01:05:43 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Kyrie Irving is a max level player, IMO. I’d rather sell high on Rozier.

I totally agree with this. There's no way Kyrie would get outplayed by TJ McConnell. Kyrie is the best ball handler in NBA history, and can beat double teams much easier than Rozier can. Also, in order to beat LeBron you need a player who can outscore him mano-e-mano. Kyrie is that guy. As well as Rozier has played, he is not on Kyrie's level. I would max Kyrie and sell Rozier to the highest bidder.

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
We have Irving's Bird Rights... right?

And also, as phenomenal as Rozier has been so far, it's hard to ignore that while he's been Scary Terry at home... he's been relatively average in all the road games so far. Not historically bad or anything, but nothing special either. Kyrie is more consistent both home and away
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

And also, as phenomenal as Rozier has been so far, it's hard to ignore that while he's been Scary Terry at home... he's been relatively average in all the road games so far. Not historically bad or anything, but nothing special either. Kyrie is more consistent both home and away

Nah we don't.

Just kidding, we do. :)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2018, 03:56:15 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

I just think this is A fair topic now, that Rozier has came so far so fast, Irving has been banged up his whole career, and after watching Hayward go down all season long is it really worth tying up that that much money on one player.

Yes.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Nah we don't.

Just kidding, we do. :)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kyrie's a 25/26 year old player who is a top 10 performer when healthy.

Look at the list of superstar guards in the league right now ... most of them are several years older than Kyrie with more miles on them.

Kyrie is going to be good for a long time.  The Celts should do all they can to keep him.

Kyrie, Tatum, Jaylen, Hayward ... that's the future.  Horford hopefully will be around here as long as possible as well, though the money may get tight.

I like Rozier a lot and I'm happy for him that he's earning himself a lot of $.  That said, even playing as he is now, he's not better than Kyrie, and I don't think his current level of play is sustainable over a whole season.  The Celts may keep him around for another year in the hopes of making a run next year, or maybe they'll get some value for him this summer or at the trade deadline next year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2018, 04:33:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Look at the list of superstar guards in the league right now ... most of them are several years older than Kyrie with more miles on them.

Kyrie is going to be good for a long time.  The Celts should do all they can to keep him.

Kyrie, Tatum, Jaylen, Hayward ... that's the future.  Horford hopefully will be around here as long as possible as well, though the money may get tight.

I like Rozier a lot and I'm happy for him that he's earning himself a lot of $.  That said, even playing as he is now, he's not better than Kyrie, and I don't think his current level of play is sustainable over a whole season.  The Celts may keep him around for another year in the hopes of making a run next year, or maybe they'll get some value for him this summer or at the trade deadline next year.

Literally nailed my thoughts... It's amazing how quick people are to jump the gun that Irving is rendered useless due to Rozier's emergence..

TP.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:38:37 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Literally nailed my thoughts... It's amazing how quick people are to jump the gun that Irving is rendered useless due to Rozier's emergence..

TP.
After not watching him for a while I think people have forgotten how good he is
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

TP.

Just to be clear. The vast majority of people advocating for trading Irving are doing so only for two players: AD or Kawhi. Some people have mentioned Ayton as a possibility, as well. Nobody thinks we should just let Kyrie walk away for free so we can keep Rozier; they just think that Rozier would make a serviceable PG in addition to the superstar we get in return for Kyrie. I blame it all on Ainge - he has instilled in us fans that everybody and everything is an asset  :-*

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2018, 07:01:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

TP.

Just to be clear. The vast majority of people advocating for trading Irving are doing so only for two players: AD or Kawhi. Some people have mentioned Ayton as a possibility, as well. Nobody thinks we should just let Kyrie walk away for free so we can keep Rozier; they just think that Rozier would make a serviceable PG in addition to the superstar we get in return for Kyrie. I blame it all on Ainge - he has instilled in us fans that everybody and everything is an asset  :-*
We're all heartless monsters now!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2018, 07:15:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The best thread ever was let's Dump Kyrie for Steven Adams. I read it and I was like, Wait.... What??

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We're all heartless monsters now!
I'm not emotionally attached to players we didn't draft not named Kevin Garnett. Sue me :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."