Author Topic: What's with this slump?  (Read 15304 times)

Re: What's with this slump?
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2020, 10:40:21 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
pre tanking slump.

also ....bad Karma jinx on all ya ll who said Ducan was greater than KG , has brought bad luck down upon the Celtics  ;D

I will always love KG but anybody who puts him over Duncan is crazy.  But that's neither here nor there for this topic of discussion.   8)
Because of "ringz, Erneh"? 8)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2020, 01:37:51 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
We just got to face the facts: Celtics are just an average team..
That's an absurd comment. We're 27-13.

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2020, 01:44:42 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Please explain to me in what way this team is average.  Make the case to me. And know that if you just tell me it's based on your subjective impression from watching them, I will not be persuaded.

Give me objective facts that suggest the Celts are merely average.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2020, 02:04:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Please explain to me in what way this team is average.  Make the case to me. And know that if you just tell me it's based on your subjective impression from watching them, I will not be persuaded.

You know there’s no chance of that happening, right? ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2020, 02:17:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Just as much as Phosita persuading us that putting Garnett over Duncan is crazy ;)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2020, 04:16:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Some people will fiercely insist that Jacob Poetl wouldve gotten us out of this slump. ****

No, it can't be because we are missing a starter often. It can't be because we just played our 9th game in 13 days (!!!!!!!!). It cant be because we dont have practice in a while. It must be because the likes of WCS and Poetl should be playing over Theis.

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2020, 04:30:22 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Danny Ainge modeled this team after the GSW dynasty of Steph.
But clearly this current Celts team is nowhere near the level of Steph's GSW from 2015-2019.

That's all he ever does: model the team after what's en vogue, and then people wonder why we end up with inferior versions of the top teams. That's exactly what you get when you trust stats too much.

Yeah, it's kinda successful in the regular season, but it won't win you a championship, either.

Treadmill Danny.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2020, 04:39:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Danny Ainge modeled this team after the GSW dynasty of Steph.
But clearly this current Celts team is nowhere near the level of Steph's GSW from 2015-2019.

That's all he ever does: model the team after what's en vogue, and then people wonder why we end up with inferior versions of the top teams. That's exactly what you get when you trust stats too much.

Yeah, it's kinda successful in the regular season, but it won't win you a championship, either.

Treadmill Danny.
Huh??? What stats are you looking at to come up with this conclusion? I doubt your knowledge of stats extends past the raw box score, which most people who "trust stats" don't rely on too much (if at all) to evaluate players. And I guess getting a 7 footer with a video game skillset in '08 was modelling the team after what's en vogue ::), remind me of the championship contenders with an oversized Sidney Moncrief roaming the court on defence and distributing like a guard on offence before '08?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:45:52 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2020, 04:49:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Some people will fiercely insist that Jacob Poetl wouldve gotten us out of this slump. ****

No, it can't be because we are missing a starter often. It can't be because we just played our 9th game in 13 days (!!!!!!!!). It cant be because we dont have practice in a while. It must be because the likes of WCS and Poetl should be playing over Theis.
To be fair Poeltl is a rock solid centre who'd be starting if there wasn't an All-Star in Aldridge in front of him, the likes of WCS is nowhere close to his calibre. But yeah he's not the answer to our problems lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2020, 09:14:18 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I think it comes from rating teams across 3 tiers - elite (capable title winners), middle of the pack (average), terrible teams (no chance of playoffs).

So only a few elite teams - Lakers, Clippers maybe the Bucks.

And then there are terrible teams like Atlanta, Golden State, New York, Washington and so forth.

Then everyone else is in the middle class. No differentiating much between teams that are say upper middle class, middle class, lower middle class. All just average.

It is one way to look at it. Some people do. You are either good enough to a win a title or you are not.

That is my guess anyway. Why some folks look at Boston as an average team. I'd say above average but not elite (ie not good enough to win a title). But that could just be a case of semantics. Saying the same thing but saying it differently. My guess anyway.

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think it comes from rating teams across 3 tiers - elite (capable title winners), middle of the pack (average), terrible teams (no chance of playoffs).

So only a few elite teams - Lakers, Clippers maybe the Bucks.

And then there are terrible teams like Atlanta, Golden State, New York, Washington and so forth.

Then everyone else is in the middle class. No differentiating much between teams that are say upper middle class, middle class, lower middle class. All just average.

It is one way to look at it. Some people do. You are either good enough to a win a title or you are not.

That is my guess anyway. Why some folks look at Boston as an average team. I'd say above average but not elite (ie not good enough to win a title). But that could just be a case of semantics. Saying the same thing but saying it differently. My guess anyway.
Or the poster is a bastion of negativity and loves taking a shot at the Celtics, their players, their coaches and their general manager any chance he gets.

That's another possibility

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2020, 11:19:48 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Last year everyone couldn't figure why our beloved Celtics, with all that depth and talent couldn't win consistently. Everyone thought, including myself, that we were set to compete for a ring. I remember the bench players even giving themselves a handle (Bench with an attitude) or some other nonsense.

When we found out the team couldn't play together we were in shock. We blamed Kyrie, he must be the problem right? He hogs the ball, he dribbles too much, he isn't liked, he thinks the earth is flat. We blamed Hayward, he was finished by the injury and would never be the same.

Horford decided to leave, why? Does anyone really know? He obviously felt that the 76ers had a better chance of winning than this Celtic team, I get it. What did Big Al see that turned him off on this Celtic team?

Now Kyrie is gone too, and we got off to a nice start. Yet still something is wrong with this team. It's undeniable that this Celtic team on offense is predictable. It's no secret... the TV analysts see it and routinely comment on it. They half-heartedly run their weave and pick and roll offense while what's really on their mind is personal gratification. They don't honestly look for each other. This Celtic offense while talented, is rudderless. When no one player has a hot hand they severally struggle to assist each other.

What I'm saying is, maybe what Al saw and what Kyrie saw is still on this team. We have players who have deemed themselves as stars that play with blinders on and with undeserved egos. 

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
Last year everyone couldn't figure why our beloved Celtics, with all that depth and talent couldn't win consistently. Everyone thought, including myself, that we were set to compete for a ring. I remember the bench players even giving themselves a handle (Bench with an attitude) or some other nonsense.

When we found out the team couldn't play together we were in shock. We blamed Kyrie, he must be the problem right? He hogs the ball, he dribbles too much, he isn't liked, he thinks the earth is flat. We blamed Hayward, he was finished by the injury and would never be the same.

Horford decided to leave, why? Does anyone really know? He obviously felt that the 76ers had a better chance of winning than this Celtic team, I get it. What did Big Al see that turned him off on this Celtic team?

The issue they are having that is the same as last year is that they are never playing with a full roster. They can't get any continuity while other teams are. They need to play and sit for everything.

Now Kyrie is gone too, and we got off to a nice start. Yet still something is wrong with this team. It's undeniable that this Celtic team on offense is predictable. It's no secret... the TV analysts see it and routinely comment on it. They half-heartedly run their weave and pick and roll offense while what's really on their mind is personal gratification. They don't honestly look for each other. This Celtic offense while talented, is rudderless. When no one player has a hot hand they severally struggle to assist each other.

What I'm saying is, maybe what Al saw and what Kyrie saw is still on this team. We have players who have deemed themselves as stars that play with blinders on and with undeserved egos.

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

oh I will soon as I get home from work
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2020, 05:19:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

oh I will soon as I get home from work
Looking forward to it :)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)