Author Topic: What do you think was the key juncture in Game #1 loss?  (Read 3634 times)

What do you think was the key juncture in Game #1 loss?
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
For me it was the end of the first half. We have had trouble closing out halves (and quarters) all year. In game 1, we were only down a few with Kobe on the bench. Perfect time to make some hay and narrow or take the lead, Huh? NO! We let Farmar, of all people dominate us, driving to the basket at will and on one occasion making RR look like a real chump by ripping the ball out of his hands on an inbound play.

Not only did this put us down by 9, but it also set the tone for the decisive third quarter. Like Doc says, you gotta play the whole 48. Our boys don't always do that. Sometimes that will work, but not with these hungry Fakers.

One bit of hope, though, is that the Cleveland series started the same way. We played passively in that first game and lost, and they also wanted revenge on us for '08. We manned up after that and there were no more uncontested layups or shots after that. Fakers wanted it more yesterday. It better be different on Sunday, or we'll be talking about the 19th pick real soon, because the Fakers will have their revenge.

Re: What do you think was the key juncture in Game #1 loss?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »

Offline Bynum4MVP

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
Key juncture was TA subbing in for Ray.
Anything is POSSSIBBBLLEEE!!!!!
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16
REPEAT!

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
For me it was the end of the first half. We have had trouble closing out halves (and quarters) all year. In game 1, we were only down a few with Kobe on the bench. Perfect time to make some hay and narrow or take the lead, Huh? NO! We let Farmar, of all people dominate us, driving to the basket at will and on one occasion making RR look like a real chump by ripping the ball out of his hands on an inbound play.

Not only did this put us down by 9, but it also set the tone for the decisive third quarter. Like Doc says, you gotta play the whole 48. Our boys don't always do that. Sometimes that will work, but not with these hungry Fakers.

One bit of hope, though, is that the Cleveland series started the same way. We played passively in that first game and lost, and they also wanted revenge on us for '08. We manned up after that and there were no more uncontested layups or shots after that. Fakers wanted it more yesterday. It better be different on Sunday, or we'll be talking about the 19th pick real soon, because the Fakers will have their revenge.

I agree. It was the 3 by Artest and the turnover leading to a fast break that saw the lead go from 4 to 9 in less than 30 seconds.  Lakers got a stop and extended to 11 and that was, for all intents and purposes, was game over.

They extended in the 3rd to 21 and we had no answer, looking lethargic in the process.

credit due to LA, they clearly played harder and were the better  team in game one.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 02:39:55 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I thought the two for one by Pierce towards the end of the half was huge.  We needed a quality score there and he chucks up a three in transition.  Not only that, he did it too early and gave LA a chance for a two for one.  The lakers rebounded, no one got back on defense and they scored easily and then Rondo turns it over.  In that time the lakers got four points and the Celtics two with Rondo's shot to end the half.  Had he been patient and run down the clock only about three seconds would be left for the ball to hit the rim, the lakers rebound and then dribble it and try to score.  Worst case no one scores but instead we give up two points.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
the game was lost with 4 minutes left to play in the first half. teams were trading baskets until artest hit a 3 and fisher score putting LA up and sparking their run.

In addition Finley got blown by twice leading to 2 easy baskets and TA was a human turnover machine

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I think it was 20 seconds into the game, when Artest took Pierce down and they both got techs.  That made no sense to me - both got techs and no personals were handed out?  This double-tech thing is killing the Celts this postseason.  What that showed was that the Lakers could play hard and get away with a lot.  I also thought the travel on Pierce and the missed putback by Garnett on the Nate 3-point attempt deflated the C's a bit.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Every touch foul they called against our guards.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 03:59:55 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
i dunno if there was just one, but the main moments that stuck out for me:

1. the double-tech on artest-pierce. i thought it was kinda of a statement that showed, at least for game 1, the the lakers willing to "wrestle" with the c's.

2. when ray got into foul trouble in what seemed to be the first 2 minutes of the game.

3. the artest 3 late in the 2nd hald that help extend the laker lead

4. kg muffing up a putback with no one around him on consecutive tries.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Yeah, I agree with the OP. The game was tight as a drum until we gave away those points a the end of the second. It was a bad uphill climb after that. Rebounding is the key. If we can't get rebounds, it's good night Celtics..

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Yeah, I agree with the OP. The game was tight as a drum until we gave away those points a the end of the second. It was a bad uphill climb after that. Rebounding is the key. If we can't get rebounds, it's good night Celtics..

Good point, JH, and the common thread is focus (or the lack thereof) which has been the bane of this team this year. Focus impacts both the rebounding you mention as well as the way we end quarters and halves which killed us last night. The Fakers should never be able to extend a lead so dramatically with Kobe on the bench. Shame on us.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:25:42 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'm not sure if it was any "one" instance.

I was just upset over the many times our guys were just seemingly "standing around".

Lakers released and leaked out on our jumper attempts...our guards...no one running back.

After a few of our turnovers, Lakers had 2 or 3 against no one for fastbreaks. (This can't happen in the Finals)

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:17 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Agree 100%.  TP.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 09:43:25 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Please, not again in game two. Let's hope the horrible way we ended the first half again doesn't cost us again. C'mon Cs don't lose focus.