Author Topic: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)  (Read 22070 times)

Neurotic Guy, SparzWizard, Celtics2021, 86MaxwellSmart, DefenseWinsChamps, sahara and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2024, 04:35:50 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
ClutchPoints: “He is likely out for next series as well. The hope is that he can make a return if the Celtics were to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals.” Chris Haynes on a potential timeline for Kristaps Porzingis, who has a right calf strain. (via @NBAonTNT) pic.twitter.com/StbyC0znRQ 17 hours ago – via

Not sure what this prognostication is based on, but here it is.....

Common sense?  Do people really think he's going to be back during the conference semis based on what we saw in Game 4, his injury history, the Celtics actual need for him right now, and what's been put out there on similar injuries?

I suppose it depends in part a little how long the second round series extends.  If it goes 7 games, it would be nearly three weeks from his injury, and by then I’d believe it possible he returns (if in part because it’s an elimination game).  But if Round 2 lasts the length it ought, I wouldn’t expect KP.

That's my thinking, as well.  I wouldn't rule out Game 6 or 7, but I think the clear preference would be to let him rest.  Plus, if he's still not 100%, it's not at all clear that his presence would be helpful.

It's not really possible to compare injuries with the data we have, but looking at Giannis, he last played on April 9.  That's 23 days, his team is on the brink of elimination, and he still may not play (listed as doubtful).  We don't know the severity of the strain, but we do know that Giannis is younger and has generally been healthier than KP.

I hope to hell I'm not proven wrong.  There's no way a series with CLE or ORL should be going 7 games.

With the Celtics and their Jekyll and Hyde team I'm not so sure if it does not go 7 games. C's did kinda benefitted from a Heat team without Butler, Rozier, and Jacquez. Let's see what they're really made of against a solid and healthy middle pack playoff team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2024, 04:39:56 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
One good thing is Porzingis has a lot of experience coming back from injury so he should know how to do it.

« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2024, 05:48:49 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
ClutchPoints: “He is likely out for next series as well. The hope is that he can make a return if the Celtics were to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals.” Chris Haynes on a potential timeline for Kristaps Porzingis, who has a right calf strain. (via @NBAonTNT) pic.twitter.com/StbyC0znRQ 17 hours ago – via

Common sense?  Do people really think he's going to be back during the conference semis based on what we saw in Game 4, his injury history, the Celtics actual need for him right now, and what's been put out there on similar injuries?

Hard to say. Earlier in the season, KP injured his other calf. That was on 11/24 and he was back 12/8 vs the Knicks. Hopefully it’s a similar timeline.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 06:00:32 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2024, 06:07:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474

I suppose it depends in part a little how long the second round series extends.  If it goes 7 games, it would be nearly three weeks from his injury, and by then I’d believe it possible he returns (if in part because it’s an elimination game).  But if Round 2 lasts the length it ought, I wouldn’t expect KP.

That's my thinking, as well.  I wouldn't rule out Game 6 or 7, but I think the clear preference would be to let him rest.  Plus, if he's still not 100%, it's not at all clear that his presence would be helpful.

It's not really possible to compare injuries with the data we have, but looking at Giannis, he last played on April 9.  That's 23 days, his team is on the brink of elimination, and he still may not play (listed as doubtful).  We don't know the severity of the strain, but we do know that Giannis is younger and has generally been healthier than KP.

Giannis is actually turning 30 this year, so he’s older than KP. Has been healthier, though.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2024, 06:22:15 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 744
Honestly the whole reason we got porzingis was for the playoffs and we did everything we could all year long to manage him and keep him healthy…4 games into the playoff and he’s likely to miss the end of the first round and the entire second round…and that’s best case scenario. Yikes. Not sure I get the optimism

Feeling the same - we bubble-wrap the guy all year and do a great job getting him to the playoffs healthy and then this happens.
Very frustrating - will the Bias curse ever leave us alone ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2024, 08:58:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Not many people are talking about this but the reality is, lets say he does return for the ECF. Is anyone expecting him to remain healthy? A few more bumps in the knee area and he could go down again, unfortunately he's just fragile like that.

Call me crazy but Kornet actually looks and plays stronger than Porzingis too which is insane (though KP is way more talented of course)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2024, 09:00:32 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
  • GOT IT!!!
Not many people are talking about this but the reality is, lets say he does return for the ECF. Is anyone expecting him to remain healthy? A few more bumps in the knee area and he could go down again, unfortunately he's just fragile like that.

Call me crazy but Kornet actually looks and plays stronger than Porzingis too which is insane (though KP is way more talented of course)

That's why the trade was always a gamble. It's going to be scary regardless of when he returns. The dude has never had a long playoff run to rely on.

« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2024, 09:05:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!

That's why the trade was always a gamble. It's going to be scary regardless of when he returns. The dude has never had a long playoff run to rely on.

I still love the guy but admittedly I wish he'd bulk up a little more or something. He sometimes looks like a twig out there, even if someone has a bad (non-incidental) fall in his legs that could be it for KP.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2024, 11:32:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2425
I hope to hell I'm not proven wrong.  There's no way a series with CLE or ORL should be going 7 games.
I am the opposite. I would be surprised if it didn't go 6 or 7.

« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2024, 11:44:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2425
I am higher on Orlando than most others. So I understand why I see them as more of threat than some do.

I think they are the best team in the league at uglying up games. They have an excellent defense. They are big and athletic. They are difficult to matchup with. Thankfully, their offense is limited which stops them from being an elite team. But they can take you down to their level with their defense.

They remind me a lot of the Miami teams Boston has struggled with in the previous 3 postseason matchups. Boston was the better team in all 3 matchups and should have won all 3 matchups. Instead they lost 2 and only won 1. Miami was able to ugly things up. They had a star in Jimmy Butler. They had physicality. That messed Boston up.

Porzingis is the piece that gives Boston resilience against these types of squads. Without Porzingis, Boston will be much more like the teams of the past that struggled with Miami. We have seen it in the regular season. How more perimeter orientated they become with Porzingis. Whether it is shooting 3s or drives from 25 feet. Little movement or action inside the arc.

Orlando do not get credit for how difficult they are to matchup with in terms of size and physicality. Especially at the forward slots. Boston normally has an advantage with Tatum and Jaylen at forward given their skill, quickness and athleticism. Very few teams can matchup effectively with them. Orlando can. They have Franz Wanger, Banchero and J Isaac. They have 3 big physical forwards to throw at our two best scorers and make them play on both ends of the court.

They have solid matchup at center with Wendell Carter Jr against Horford. I see an advantage at backup center with Mo Wagner against Boston's more limited (Kornet) or more defensive orientated options (Tillman).

They have the best defensive guard in basketball in Suggs. They have a solid guard in Gary Harris. Cole Anthony is a wild card. He has struggled so far but he is the type of small quick PG that causes problems for our bigger combo guards.

I would be surprised if Orlando did not play Boston very tough in several games in this series and won 2. I would also expect BOS to blow them out in the other games because they will be games were ORL's offense backfires so spectacularly that they cannot compete. So BOS blowouts and hard fought games.

If BOS chokes like they have done in playoffs past against tough defensive teams, this could easily become one of those head scratchers like Miami beating BOS 2 out 3 times. It could be one of those ones where it goes 7 against MIL despite them not having Middleton.

I do expect a series against Orlando to go at least 6 games. And it is because they are so good at uglying up the game. And BOS are more vulnerable to that without Porzingis.

« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2024, 12:13:43 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 483

Playoff basketball is a whole different animal.  Teams are too good not to make it a fight.

« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2024, 02:16:16 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 564

Honestly I just don't see how either team is going to score enough on the Celtics to make this interesting. You NEED to keep pace offensively with Boston, its you only hope. Neither team has good enough spacing or enough perimeter creation talent to do that.

Any team can get hot for a game, even two, and win with a three point shoot barrage like Mia game two. But can't see that 4 times in 7.

Against Orlando its C's in 5. Against Clevland its C's in no more than 6 (one insane Mitchell win, one insane shooting win). 

« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2024, 02:57:32 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Celtics play Defense, Celtics Win.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2024, 03:19:10 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Orlando has size and length that can abuse Boston inside (now with Porzingis out). Either way, the mental factor still is a problem for this team. Won't surprise me if it goes 7 games. They might even have some ridiculous shooting night like last year's Heat team where all their shooters were like Ray Allen. Orlando is a much more competent and healthy team than Miami anyways.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2024, 04:35:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1401
Celtics play Defense, Celtics Win.

This is really it in a nutshell...even if we don't shoot well we have too many weapons offensively. But we have to stop them scoring.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D