Will the 2019-2020 season resume?

Yes. Some Regular Season Games To Finish, Then Postseason
18 (18.4%)
Yes. With Postseason Beginning Right Away
22 (22.4%)
No. It's Going To Be Cancelled
58 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?  (Read 20348 times)

Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?
« on: March 15, 2020, 12:11:08 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Wondering what people are predicting.

Obviously the next few weeks will be telling since we'll see what happens with the Coronavirus now that more and more schools, restaurants, etc. are temporarily closed. And also it'll be monitored if this virus spreads as much as it did in places like Italy, or if it stagnates and slowly declines over the next month.

I also wonder if the NHL and NBA decide together what they want to do. I can't imagine one league is cancelled while the other resumes at one point. Feels they'll either both resume, or both cancel.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 12:58:59 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm not sure, but I think any NBA activity will start in June or July at the earliest.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 01:31:35 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I think it’s definitely over for non-playoff teams. 

Playoffs is probably still in play but not till any chance of virus transmission is over.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 01:46:42 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
It'll continue, but to start the playoffs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
There will be no decision made until late April at the earliest, I predict. Everyone needs more information to plan.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think if the NBA can get most of its people (players, coaches, and essential arena staff) cleared, we're going to see some games with no fans in attendance. The NBA can at least get the TV revenue for that time. So we'll get a couple more games before the playoffs.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 02:13:00 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm going to be optimistic and say that it'll resume with the playoffs but I won't be shocked if the season is over.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 02:20:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Season is over, IMO. How far do you push the season when you still need to do the draft combine, the draft, Summer League and free agency and get this all done to start the next year's training camp in September.

Also what are the legal ramifications regarding players contracts in their last year? Do the contracts end on July 1st? Does the league extension of the season also mean players on expiring contracts or with opt out options have to still play?

Best to just call it a lost season, take the financial hit and start anew next year.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Season is over, IMO. How far do you push the season when you still need to do the draft combine, the draft, Summer League and free agency and get this all done to start the next year's training camp in September.

Also what are the legal ramifications regarding players contracts in their last year? Do the contracts end on July 1st? Does the league extension of the season also mean players on expiring contracts or with opt out options have to still play?

Best to just call it a lost season, take the financial hit and start a new next year.

It has been proposed previously that subsequent season start in December.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hawks-ceo-steve-koonin-proposes-to-start-nba-season-in-december-league-is-open-to-the-idea/

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Best to just call it a lost season, take the financial hit and start anew next year.
Free agency and expiring contracts is the big obstacle.  The draft could be pushed after free agency with the draft combine made a single day for measurables, medicals and interviews.   Summer league can be canceled.   

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 03:02:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I picked Yes - Post Season beginning right away.

My guess is that this country is about a month or more behind what we "should" have been doing in regards to COVID-19, unfortunately - but I believe we will see a conclusion to this season.

Just have to stay safe - for everyone.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Depends how much longer this goes, and if the Olympics is postponed. Not sure if they will be able to have the season going and the Olympic basketball competition going at the same time.

The Globe had an article about this https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/13/sports/heres-an-attempt-answer-some-lingering-questions-about-nbas-suspension-its-season/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 04:15:04 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Depends how much longer this goes, and if the Olympics is postponed. Not sure if they will be able to have the season going and the Olympic basketball competition going at the same time.

The Globe had an article about this https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/13/sports/heres-an-attempt-answer-some-lingering-questions-about-nbas-suspension-its-season/

Good point. What happens to the Olympics will have an affect on a lot of things I imagine

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 04:21:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Hope you are correct.  Would hate (as someone suggested is being discussed) for next year to begin late.  Use this time for lifting NBA profile by supporting healthcare and financial relief efforts.  NBA players and owners are, by and large, wealthy people so I'm certainly not worried about their financial status.  As long as the stadium folks are somehow taken care of I think it's best to just cut losses and gear up for a great 2020-21 season.   

As a side benefit, would just love for the Lakers not to win a championship this season. 

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 04:36:51 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Hope you are correct.  Would hate (as someone suggested is being discussed) for next year to begin late.  Use this time for lifting NBA profile by supporting healthcare and financial relief efforts.  NBA players and owners are, by and large, wealthy people so I'm certainly not worried about their financial status.  As long as the stadium folks are somehow taken care of I think it's best to just cut losses and gear up for a great 2020-21 season.   

As a side benefit, would just love for the Lakers not to win a championship this season.

I selfishly agree lol. On the other hand, I wish the Bruins had a chance to avenge last season and win it all this season