Author Topic: Moving forward  (Read 4500 times)

Moving forward
« on: March 09, 2020, 12:23:22 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Its not that I am giving up on the second seed, but given the scenario its getting unlikely that we will get it. Are my championship hopes dashed? Well, I don't have one in the first place. All I wanted was a better team than last year with improvements from everyone. But that's not to say that this season is over and meaningless.

So what about the rest of the regular season? What are things to watch out for and could be priority for the Celtics forward? Let's think about it.

1) Getting our core to build chemistry- our core players has only played a handful of games together. It is important that they get to play with each other more.
2) Finding out which of our bench players are playoff worthy- Our top 6 is set. 7/8 should be Kanter/RWilliams depending on the matchups. We have to see who among the rest step up.
3) Getting Kemba up to speed- Kemba has struggled the last month or so, most of it is due to being in and out of the lineup (injuries). Some believe that the Celtics shouldnt force it and give the ball to others. I say the opposite. The best way to get him out of his slump is to give him opportunities. If we are to make some noise in the future, Kemba is important.
4) Jayson Tatum needs to adjust to how teams are defending him now- Teams have caught on now and are now gameplanning their defense around him. He has some games left before the playoffs to learn how to counter whatever other teams are throwing at him, whether they are traps, collapsing on his drives or quick doubles etc. He isn't getting results now and is part of the reason why we struggled the last few games.
5) Load management- We might see us drop a few games due to this, whether its missing games or shortened minutes this is important to ensure we have enough in the tank for the playoffs. Striking a delicate balance between this and 1-4 is key.
6) Ainge will probably use this along with the post season to decide on moves to make in the offseason. Whether we do trades or just replace Wanamaker etc, you can bet he will be watching.

Re: Moving forward
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The team's in a tough scenario, because they want to get guys healthy, but I'm sure they also don't want to run out a starting lineup of Grant, Rob, Semi, Wanamaker, and Langford. The team doesn't "care" about seeding, per sé, but they probably don't want to fall to fifth or sixth. Tough balance.

The last week has been really ugly, and I think Kemba and Kanter might need to sit more games, which would make things uglier, but things will get REALLY ugly if the Cs get knocked out in the first or even second round.

I also understand the need to have "one eye on the future," so to speak—developing guys for the future, etc.—but I'll be very disappointed if this team doesn't reach the East finals. Tatum definitely needs to work on passing out of double teams, Smart needs to work on shot discipline, and the team has to work on end-of-quarter and late-game execution and not choking big leads.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I know a "LOT" of people are upset with our play lately. Count me among that group.

But we ALSO have to realize that no where is it noted that Danny Ainge was looking for us to actually CONTEND this year. My guess is that his plan was for that to perhaps happen LAST YEAR - with Kyrie, GH and Al....

We all know the story with LAST YEAR, so I won't go beating a dead horse...

Now? While Kemba was a GREAT addition to our team I believe Danny's plan moving FORWARD was to simply develop The Jays and go from there. I believe THAT plan is working wonderfully.

BUT - I don't think ANY of us here - including Danny - foresaw how well this NEW team would play this year...beating contenders...losing CLOSELY to other contenders...going on winning streaks...TWO All-Stars with another not far behind (Jaylen)...I doubt he foresaw how well our three-headed Centers would play...

Some of us thought that Gordon would NOT get back to Utah form. While he has been injured some this year I think we can safely say that he "IS" back...

All this has accumulated NOW in some assumptions that we are a contender. I still believe we ARE. But we still need to be COMPLETELY healthy and even THEN will need a few breaks here and there.

Calm down, people....don't need a new coach or to trade away everyone.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 05:54:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm coming to the mindset that I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get out of the 1st round and super-psyched if we get any further than that. I realize we can beat PHI or IND, but it is hardly a guarantee at this point.

Personally, I'd love to see as much TL and Langford as possible to finish the season. Of course I'd like us to try to win games, but - to me - those guys have proven enough to show they can greatly contribute beyond this season. Getting as much experience possible for those guys while making sure everybody else is healthy for the playoffs would be my goal.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 06:00:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
2007-2008 Celtics was an anomaly. It takes great teams to build chemistry after one year together. Walker has fit in seamlessly, but he still needs to know how the team works. This was supposed to be a bridge year, build up rookies, make the playoffs, and see how far the Jays take us.

We need to stop panicking, and give our team some patience.

Jeez, half the people here wouldn't have made it past 20 games in 2013-2014.

I know a "LOT" of people are upset with our play lately. Count me among that group.

But we ALSO have to realize that no where is it noted that Danny Ainge was looking for us to actually CONTEND this year. My guess is that his plan was for that to perhaps happen LAST YEAR - with Kyrie, GH and Al....

Now? While Kemba was a GREAT addition to our team I believe Danny's plan moving FORWARD was to simply develop The Jays and go from there. I believe THAT plan is working wonderfully.

BUT - I don't think ANY of us here - including Danny - foresaw how well this NEW team would play this year...beating contenders...losing CLOSELY to other contenders...going on winning streaks...TWO All-Stars with another not far behind (Jaylen)...I doubt he foresaw how well our three-headed Centers would play...

Some of us thought that Gordon would NOT get back to Utah form. While he has been injured some this year I think we can safely say that he "IS" back...

All this has accumulated NOW in some assumptions that we are a contender. I still believe we ARE. But we still need to be COMPLETELY healthy and even THEN will need a few breaks here and there.

Please stop.

Logic isn't allowed here anymore.

TP to all above me though.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 11:34:56 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
2007-2008 Celtics was an anomaly. It takes great teams to build chemistry after one year together. Walker has fit in seamlessly, but he still needs to know how the team works. This was supposed to be a bridge year, build up rookies, make the playoffs, and see how far the Jays take us.

Please stop.

I think this is why we are carrying lots of rookies. Ainge was thinking that this is a bridge year. He probably didnt know that we would be this good.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 12:39:06 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Please stop.

I think this is why we are carrying lots of rookies. Ainge was thinking that this is a bridge year. He probably didnt know that we would be this good.
This is my first post since the Kemba turnover, just too upset to dwell on the Celtics when life is so beautiful in other ways...that said...

This sounds right to me, RockinRyA.  It also explains why he didn't sign a FA when there were vets to be had.  A bridge year...yes, yes...well I feel better and might even watch another game this year, lol.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 01:42:25 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
A LOT would have to come together perfectly for us to even come close to a championship run this year. Personally I'm enjoying the season for what it is with no expectations, watching the young players continue to get better.

The future is BRIGHT though. I won't be shocked to make a serious run at a championship within the next five years if we can keep the core together and improve around them.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 02:29:15 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I think the front office is aiming at being one of the top-tier clubs in the 2020s. So, that decade starts now, and we're in good position for that to be the case:

- Potential perennial All-NBA threat (Tatum)
- Potential perennial All-Star threat (Brown)
- Current All-Star who should be in it for the next few years (Kemba)
- Potential to resign a 2-way playmaking wing with great size, feel, chemistry, borderline All-Star (Hayward... hopefully at a discount :D)
- A few decent bigs who can share the load (Theis, both Williams, Kanter)
- A mid-first rounder (Memphis) and some young players to develop or trade (Langford, Williams)

But a lot of this hinges on Tatum reaching his ceiling (I think he will) and the team finding ways to add talent at the margins. A few things could break our way - maybe Williams becomes a clear starting-caliber C. Maybe Brown really is a perennial All-Star. Maybe Kemba and Hayward play at an All-Star level over the next 4 years. But the fact we are an outside contender right now, as the youngest team in the league, bodes well for our outlook over the next few years.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 02:39:02 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Celtics has 2 great players in Tatum and Walker..Brown has to take the next step like Tatum and can’t be inconsistent..Smart is sometime a good offense player but great defense..Hayward be here one more year..Ainge no doubt have to improve the bench to be a serious threat..plus a big man is a must..small ball not going to win it..I say a second round exit this year but future does look better
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »

Offline GreenRunsDeep33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Let's see I think I can predict how this game will gi.

Celtics either come out and get down 21-6 or go up 21-6
Celtics build a big lead.
Brad will stand with his arms folded all game like hes watching his 10 yr old play.
Wanamaker, Semi, GWill, Langford come in and the lead wilts to the Pacers taking the lead.
Brad takes out Kemba and Tatum mid 4th quarter while the game is in the balance. It will be nip and tuck from 4 mins until the end.

We will not see Kantor. RWill, Theis or GWill play together but the Pacers will play Sabonis and Turner together. We get killed on the boards because Stevens thinks his advantage is always small ball.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Let's see I think I can predict how this game will gi.

Celtics either come out and get down 21-6 or go up 21-6
Celtics build a big lead.
Brad will stand with his arms folded all game like hes watching his 10 yr old play.
Wanamaker, Semi, GWill, Langford come in and the lead wilts to the Pacers taking the lead.
Brad takes out Kemba and Tatum mid 4th quarter while the game is in the balance. It will be nip and tuck from 4 mins until the end.

We will not see Kantor. RWill, Theis or GWill play together but the Pacers will play Sabonis and Turner together. We get killed on the boards because Stevens thinks his advantage is always small ball.

You write anything other than whining and complaining on these boards?

Because honestly that's literally all I've seen you do.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 07:25:17 PM »

Offline GreenRunsDeep33

• Xavier Tillman
Yes because I know the true potential if this team. This team is performing at about 80% of what they're capable of. This team is too versatile and athletic to play the style they play. Dont worry about me...what's your thoughts?

Guys need to be held accountable for all these 3s and bad shots.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 07:33:36 PM »

Offline GreenRunsDeep33

• Xavier Tillman
Look one thing these guys and coaches have to understand is they play for the Celtics. Everyone knows what that means. Teams come hard after the Celtics because they're the gold standard in the NBA and no one cries tears when we are bad or get crushed. They love to hate us but would love to pay for a storied franchise like the Celtics.

Once these guys and coaches understand just competing isn't good enough then we will win anothe chip. I will complain until I see true Celtics basketball being played.

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 07:52:37 PM »

Offline GreenRunsDeep33

• Xavier Tillman
Please, Semi STOP shooting and drive you're open for a reason...drive and dish to a better shooter.

The IQ of this team is nerve racking.

Does anyone notice now that many of the 2008 Celtics are either commentators, coaches or mentors. That was a smart team. Perk, KG, PP. TA, Scal, Allen, Posey. Cassel, House, Rondo.  Doc didn't have to say or do much.