Who says 'no'?

The Sixers
13 (24.5%)
The Celtics
29 (54.7%)
Neither: they do the deal
11 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Poll: Who says 'No'? ~~ PHI / BOS Trade Proposal  (Read 10246 times)

Re: Poll: Who says 'No'? ~~ PHI / BOS Trade Proposal
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 03:39:52 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Danny seems to have very little interest in moving Smart.

What are you basing that on?

The absurd amount that he asked for Smart from Philly and that all beat reporters indicate that Smart is the least likely player on the roster to be moved.

all beat reporters don't say that, in my experience. if they did, that'd likely be an indication OF their interest in trading him, anyway (not unlikely Wyc repeatedly calling Sully "our best player this year")...

and the absurd amount Ainge asked for included... Noel?

anyway, getting a little into the weeds here. i get your POV.

He wanted Noel and the 3rd Pick. I'd say that's pretty absurd.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 03:47:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

The absurd amount that he asked for Smart from Philly and that all beat reporters indicate that Smart is the least likely player on the roster to be moved.

all beat reporters don't say that, in my experience. if they did, that'd likely be an indication OF their interest in trading him, anyway (not unlikely Wyc repeatedly calling Sully "our best player this year")...

with the 16th pick and Olynyk going back, which ain't nothin'. and -- he was turned away.

regardless if you buy that Ainge offered to trade Smart, then your argument that he doesn't wanna trade him is a little soft.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

with the 16th pick and Olynyk going back, which ain't nothin'. and -- he was turned away.

regardless if you buy that Ainge offered to trade Smart, then your argument that he doesn't wanna trade him is a little soft.

My argument is that he clearly doesn't seem too keen on moving Smart unless he's getting a massive package in return.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 04:03:48 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1781
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The 76ers say no.  You would need to include Mickey and a Brooklyn first.

Oh, just a Brooklyn first and [possibly] our best young prospect? Sounds about right...

Anyway, trade proposal seems pretty fair for both sides. It helps both teams even out their positional depth.

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 04:45:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
would have helped to just post the trade details.  for those that can't get to the trade checker, it's Noel and Covington for Sully and Smart.

For me, I think it's the C's.  Sully's value is up, Noel's is down.  Covington wouldn't get off the bench for a good team and Smart, while his offense isn't where I think it should be, is a game changer on defense while doing lots of the small things it takes to win.

If Noel wasn't a washout at PF or had more offensive skills, I'd think it'd be fairly even exchange but as the players are now, I'd say the C's would say no.

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 05:09:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Sully's value is up, Noel's is down. 

Exactly.

Covington wouldn't get off the bench for a good team.

Wrong.

Smart, while his offense isn't where I think it should be, is a game changer on defense while doing lots of the small things it takes to win.

Noel averaged 10, 8, 2, 2, and 2 last year. Highest combo of steals and blocks of any rookie since David Robinson. He doesn't?

If Noel had more offensive skills, I'd think it'd be fairly even exchange.

Double standard from the previous statement about Smart. Meanwhile, Noel could easily average 10-12 a game in pick-n-roll, offensive boards and putback on the Cs, not to mention the elbow face-up game he's worked on -- but can't show -- because defenses just hang out in the paint versus the Sixers.

If Noel wasn't a washout at PF...

There's exactly 1.5 reasons why Noel is playing PF in the NBA: Jalil Okefor, with a side of Joel Embiid. He'd play C on the Cs...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
The 76ers say no.  You would need to include Mickey and a Brooklyn first.

Please tell me you're kidding!?! I'm hesitant to give up Smart in a Nerlens deal never mind including Mickey or a Brooklyn 1st...

That being said I'd prefer to add in other assets to keep Smart out of the deal (not our 2016 Brooklyn pick)

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Fair trade for both sides.
I agree.   I'm not sold on Covington at all, but Smart + Sully seems to be what I'd expect Noel to go for.

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 05:35:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Supposedly.   That was what some random article claimed.  There was an article claiming that Ainge was ready to make a "godfather' offer if Okafor slipped to 3rd... then some report came out that we offered Smart for #3 and Noel.  Simmons later suggested that report was a joke.  If AInge really offered that, he's a troll.  From personal experience, stupid offers like that can get your e-mail blocked.

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 05:35:24 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I agree.   I'm not sold on Covington at all, but Smart + Sully seems to be what I'd expect Noel to go for.

Did you vote for #1 or #3?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'm gonna go with #1.  76ers say no.  I think they can do better than that for Noel.  I'm not sure Sully is much of an add for them and they'd have to eat up money to keep him.   If I'm then, I aim higher than Marcus Smart if I'm searching for a point guard.  I like the suggestion that they'd go after someone like Eric Bledsoe since the Suns have two starting PG's and no competent center.

But I'm firmly in the camp that believes Noel can superstar defensive big.  My view is probably a little slanted...  so I'll say that this is about as even as a trade idea can get on CelticsBlog. 

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 05:40:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I'm gonna go with #1.  76ers say no.  I think they can do better than that for Noel.  I'm not sure Sully is much of an add for them and they'd have to eat up money to keep him.   If I'm then, I aim higher than Marcus Smart if I'm searching for a point guard.  I like the suggestion that they'd go after someone like Eric Bledsoe since the Suns have two starting PG's and no competent center.

Don't see RMcD giving up either Knight or Bledsoe for Noel. I could be wrong, but let's assume I'm right. Who else? It's pretty lean list of obvious choices.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is a reasonable trade that is useful for both teams, yet painful for both teams at the same time since they both are giving up top of the draft players. As to who would say no, probably both GMs since they tend to overvalue their own assets. It's great to read trade ideas that aren't of the Sullinger and Zeller for Drummond variety. Nice job.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:48:12 PM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Don't see RMcD giving up either Knight or Bledsoe for Noel. I could be wrong, but let's assume I'm right. Who else? It's pretty lean list of obvious choices.
You may be right.  If I'm the Suns and I've made my decision on Bledsoe vs Knight... and Philly comes at me with an offer of Noel + 1 or 2 of their late 1sts this year (via OKC and Miami), I'd have to consider it.   But again, I'm basing this on my perhaps slanted view of Noel as someone who can be a perennial defensive player of the year candidate. 

I wonder what the overlap is from fans who believed Rondo was our "MVP" from 2009-12 and those who don't like Noel.   There wasn't any point during the KG era that I didn't see KG as our most valuable player.  Even as his offensive game waned, it was him who kept this team relevant thanks to his elite-level defense.  His on-court/off-court impact to our defense even in his later Boston years was unreal.   My thesis is that those who still credited KG as the backbone of the team as Rondo racked up the stats would be the same people who would trade for Nerlens Noel. 

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 05:58:49 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hjqsayw

Plus Philly gets Mavs first and a protected Boston/Brooklyn pick.

Suns get 2 second round picks.

Why do they do it?

Philly get the perfect stretch four next to Okafor, as Morris is a 3 and D guy.

Suns get an upgrade on Morris and Sully fits well with Chandler.