Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 489152 times)

CelticsWhat35, Who, DefenseWinsChamps, Phantom255x, Atzar, celticsclay, smicker16, hpantazo and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #6015 on: April 24, 2024, 11:55:24 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Still wouldn’t count out Lakers just yet..Russell, Reaves, Hachimura, Prince can have big games plus getting  Vanderbilt & Wood back also..but hoping Nuggets win tomorrow then it’s over 😁

Lakers have lost 10 straight to Denver. Even if they win tomorrow, I don't see them winning 4 out of the next 5 against the Nuggets.

Seriously.  Not to mention huge games from Lebron and Davis (through three quarters at least) didn't get the job done but we're supposed to fear what can happen if one of those guys go off?

I do think LA will win the next game and will also probably get an extremely favorable extend the series whistle. As we have seen with embid and to a lesser extent Leonard it is tough to come back from being out for injury and then jumping into playoff basketball. May be tough for Vanderbilt to come back and make a defensive impact.

« Reply #6016 on: April 24, 2024, 12:03:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Lakers won’t win the series, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take one or both of the next two games at home. Denver is a lot different team in the road (33-8 at home vs 24-17 on road this year), and I doubt they’re able to consistently come back from big deficits every game on the road like they are at home.

Hopefully LA makes it at least a challenge for them.

« Reply #6017 on: April 24, 2024, 12:28:22 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3010
  • On To Banner 18!
A lot of people are talking about the Lakers players and refs without acknowledging that Denver has not played great at all and are up 2-0. Murray hit the game winner but over the last two games he's shooting a combined 18-48. Denver's gotten off to bad starts in both games.

The Lakers could play better but it's also possible the Nuggets simply decide to show up from the start and just dominate the Lakers with Murray shooting very well. Nuggets haven't played their best whereas honestly, idk how much better the Lakers can play from Game 2. It felt like they poured their all into that and built a 20 point lead.

Still think Nuggets in an easy 5
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6018 on: April 24, 2024, 02:00:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1554
Still wouldn’t count out Lakers just yet..Russell, Reaves, Hachimura, Prince can have big games plus getting  Vanderbilt & Wood back also..but hoping Nuggets win tomorrow then it’s over 😁

Lakers have lost 10 straight to Denver. Even if they win tomorrow, I don't see them winning 4 out of the next 5 against the Nuggets.

Seriously.  Not to mention huge games from Lebron and Davis (through three quarters at least) didn't get the job done but we're supposed to fear what can happen if one of those guys go off?

I do think LA will win the next game and will also probably get an extremely favorable extend the series whistle. As we have seen with embid and to a lesser extent Leonard it is tough to come back from being out for injury and then jumping into playoff basketball. May be tough for Vanderbilt to come back and make a defensive impact.
It isn't easy for anyone, but it is also a lot harder for the best player than it is a role player like Vanderbilt. The Sixers and Clippers (and Bucks when Giannis is back) absolutely need and rely on Kawhi and Embiid, way more than the Lakers need Vanderbilt.  They just need solid minutes if decent play from Vanderbilt for him to make a difference. The Clippers and Sixers need their guy to be a monster. That is just so much harder to do right away.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6019 on: April 24, 2024, 02:43:37 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
Dallas has been incredible with this 5 man starting rotation.  Think they are something like 16-2 with that starting 5.  The lineup just works well together and really accentuates what makes Lukabso good.

In particular, PJ Washington is +156 in 29 games, replacing Grant who was -116 in 47 games.  Per 36, Washington is +6.0, Grant -3.4.  That is a big difference.  Kleber has been playing more minutes than Gafford or Lively in the playoffs and the results with Kleber on the floor are much better, +7.5 for Kleber (best on the team), -7.5 for Lively, -8.0 for Gafford (worst and second worst on team).

If Kawhi can play at or near his healthy, mid season level, I still favor LAC.  Without Kawhi, or with a less than 100% Kawhi, DAL certainly has a chance to steal this series.  They "clicked" at the right time.

It is interesting (at least to me) that PJ Washington was -6.5 in 44 games for CHA while Grant was a little better, "only" -4.4 in 29 games (actually one of the better +/- of the CHA regulars, although Grant tailed of towards the end of the season).  It is rare for a player to go to DAL and be better.  More common for players to improve after leaving DAL.

« Reply #6020 on: April 24, 2024, 02:49:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I still think the Lakers can make it a good series with Nuggets.  Should be 1-1 right now.  Lebron and AD combo has been playing great.  They just need their role players to step up.

« Reply #6021 on: April 24, 2024, 03:45:40 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
My main takeaway watching the LAL vs DEN series that that Lebron is experiencing what Peirce/Garnett experienced going up against Lebron back in the early 2010's. Guy(s) on the back half of their career who aren't quite at the peak of their powers anymore going up against an all-time great playing at peak MVP level, and 6they just don't have enough.

« Reply #6022 on: April 24, 2024, 04:05:38 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Lakers won’t win the series, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take one or both of the next two games at home. Denver is a lot different team in the road (33-8 at home vs 24-17 on road this year), and I doubt they’re able to consistently come back from big deficits every game on the road like they are at home.

Feel slimy admitting it but would it be upset if lakers win a game so I get to go another game and see the lakers get eliminated here in Denver. Also word to my Celtics fans if we somehow end up with a Denver Celtics final, you can probably get a hotel and flights and tickets for cheaper than you can just the tickets in Boston.

« Reply #6023 on: April 24, 2024, 04:07:23 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
My main takeaway watching the LAL vs DEN series that that Lebron is experiencing what Peirce/Garnett experienced going up against Lebron back in the early 2010's. Guy(s) on the back half of their career who aren't quite at the peak of their powers anymore going up against an all-time great playing at peak MVP level, and 6they just don't have enough.

While Lebron did play well in the 4th of the last game he really
Has seemed to run out of gas in the 4th quarter overall. Especially on defense where he rests. Was definitely a mistake for ham to not call his timeouts or try to get a few minutes of break when the lakers were up huge in third. Lebron is superhuman but he can’t play 19 second half minutes at altitude and be good on both ends.

« Reply #6024 on: April 24, 2024, 04:34:57 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
A lot of people are talking about the Lakers players and refs without acknowledging that Denver has not played great at all and are up 2-0. Murray hit the game winner but over the last two games he's shooting a combined 18-48. Denver's gotten off to bad starts in both games.

The Lakers could play better but it's also possible the Nuggets simply decide to show up from the start and just dominate the Lakers with Murray shooting very well. Nuggets haven't played their best whereas honestly, idk how much better the Lakers can play from Game 2. It felt like they poured their all into that and built a 20 point lead.

Still think Nuggets in an easy 5

This is why I think the Lakers are done. Denver isn't even in peak form right now and Murray's been comically inefficient. LA still couldn't manage to steal one. They've wasted 2 great efforts from Davis in the process, what happens when he has an off night or when Denver decides to show up full force from the jump? 
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6025 on: April 24, 2024, 06:18:01 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3010
  • On To Banner 18!

Feel slimy admitting it but would it be upset if lakers win a game so I get to go another game and see the lakers get eliminated here in Denver. Also word to my Celtics fans if we somehow end up with a Denver Celtics final, you can probably get a hotel and flights and tickets for cheaper than you can just the tickets in Boston.

I don't doubt that. I was looking at Finals tickets prices at TD Garden, the cheapest I can see is $850, BUT once you go to the checkout page it goes up to like $1150 because they just tack on another $300 just for "convenience fees". And that's for like the cheapest ticket (balcony, last row)  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6026 on: April 24, 2024, 06:56:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1554
I hope the Lakers beat the Nuggets as the Nuggets are the only team in the sport I'd favor against the Celtics. It will not happen, but it sure would be nice.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6027 on: April 24, 2024, 06:57:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2417
Average PPG during 2024 season = 114.2
Average PPG during 2024 playoffs = 100.8

« Reply #6028 on: April 24, 2024, 07:07:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2417
StatMamba
@StatMamba

Malik Monk is the first player in 35 years to lead the league in bench points in back-to-back seasons without winning 6MOY.

StatMamba
@StatMamba

Malik Monk this season:

• Most PTS off the bench
• Most AST off the bench
• Most 20-point games off the bench
• Most 25-point games off the bench
• Most Clutch PTS, FGM, 3PM off the bench

StatMuse
@statmuse

6th Man of the Year snub?

— 15.4 PPG
— 5.1 APG
— 1st in bench points
— 1st in bench assists
— 1st in clutch points by a bench player

First player since Lou Williams with 1,000+ points and 350+ assists off the bench in a season.

Naz Reid got the award. Sixth Man.

Tyrese Maxey got Most Improved.

The assists in addition to the scoring is highly impressive for Malik Monk. I had no idea he was averaging 5.1apg off the bench. I knew of his scoring threat. That is a fantastic combination.

Sean Cunningham
@SeanCunningham

Naz Reid received 45 first place votes to Malik Monk’s 43 first place votes. The difference was two first place votes. A total of 352 to 342 in total points
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 07:15:09 PM by Who »

« Reply #6029 on: April 24, 2024, 10:21:07 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I hope the Lakers beat the Nuggets as the Nuggets are the only team in the sport I'd favor against the Celtics. It will not happen, but it sure would be nice.

We all know why you want the lakers to win and it isn’t this lol. I appreciate it though got a badly needed chuckle when I was feeling completely miserable so tp.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 10:56:00 PM by celticsclay »