Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 342995 times)

Re: Woj: Pelicans agree to trade Davis to LAL
« Reply #4215 on: June 15, 2019, 08:25:53 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
My conclusion based on the available information is that Danny didn't think AD was going to re-sign here (probably because he knows Kyrie's not coming back either). Otherwise we had the assets to complete a deal. We had the assets to blow that LA deal out of the water. But sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. A good GM puts you in position to be able to make deals and have options, whether you complete them or not becomes a judgment call on their part.

It appears Danny wasn't convinced that giving up the future of the franchise for a possible year of AD was a good idea. I'm ok with that. We're still in a good position.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4216 on: June 15, 2019, 08:25:56 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I am disappointed that the Lakers got better.

But i am relieved the Anthony Davis saga is over. The dude didn't want to commit to Boston. Watching the Celtics was awful last season. Let's see what Jayson, Jaylen and Smart, etc can do! I hope Horford returns though. Gotta have a few adults on the team.

I think I am ready for Kyrie's saga to be over too. I feel really worried about commiting 35 million per year on those busted knees.

« Reply #4217 on: June 15, 2019, 08:27:58 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
This feels like a bad joke. The Lakers and their incompetence have been an embarrassment to the rest of the league ever since Buss died, yet because they are located in Los Angeles, they got Lebron and now AD. Not even fair.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #4218 on: June 15, 2019, 08:32:20 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Nothing you can do if the player and his agent are saying he’ll be gone at the end of next season. As someone else said, it’s over at that point and you just have to move on. Which is what Ainge did and he is correct in doing so. It blows but there’s nothing you can do.  The Lakers always have a cake walk to rebuilding.

We’ll just have to kick their backsides when we play them.

Probably the pest thing about this happening is that now with LeBron, Davis, all their role players and a max slot available you can be guaranteed that one of Kawhi, Butler or Irving will also now sign with them. If I’m the Lakers my clear #1 choice is Kawhi. If I’m Kawhi my clear #1 choice is going home and plying for the Lakers.

« Reply #4219 on: June 15, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
This feels like a bad joke. The Lakers and their incompetence have been an embarrassment to the rest of the league ever since Buss died, yet because they are located in Los Angeles, they got Lebron and now AD. Not even fair.

I agree with Ainge in not trading Tatum for AD if it was likely that AD would walk next summer.

I'm actually intrigued and excited to see what he has planned next now that Kyrie and AD are gone. Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Rozier, Smart, Horford are a group that could get to the conference finals under Stevens, and we still have assets to add to that significantly.

I love Kyrie, but I have to agree he was not a good fit here, our younger core regressed markedly when he returned, and I also think he held Hayward back.

If our front office believes in Tatum and Brown, then let them flourish

« Reply #4220 on: June 15, 2019, 08:34:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
WOW. Unbelievable.

The Lakers always get what they want, right? SMH

Gonna be another disappointing Celtics season, as far as I'm concerned. No AD, Kyrie's probably gone, and Danny will probably keep Rozier. Ugh. Gross.

In case you're wondering, no, I don't think Tatum and/or Brown and/or Rozier are gonna be superstars.

They didn't get KG, remember?

True. And we got a whopping one title out of him, thanks to his knee.

So I'll amend what I previously said: The Lakers almost always get what they want.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4221 on: June 15, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Lot of people overreacting on this thread. Without filling out the roster with good fitting players the Lakers aren’t winning anything. And that’s beyond the fact that Lebron is already trending downwards and AD is not the healthiest player.

It was never a clear cut answer whether or not it was best to trade for AD given the context. I’m fine with the result, as this is probably the best long-term play.

Hopefully the Jays can make that jump as expected and get us to that promised land.

« Reply #4222 on: June 15, 2019, 08:35:33 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Honestly ... I do not care about Kyrie leaving

But AD not coming here ... now that hurts. This guy was the saviour. The MVP caliber player. The player you build your whole franchise around. A once in a generation star talent. He had the mix of Bill Russell and Bill Walton. He just needed some guidance. To get away from all that terrible coaching in New Orleans.

Ugh ... it's like losing out and not getting KG or Larry Bird.

Don't worry; from what some here are saying, Tatum and Brown are gonna bring us like 5 titles.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4223 on: June 15, 2019, 08:36:14 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
AD was the only player that could have saved that train wreck of a franchise.  Here's to hoping AD keeps being the guy who misses 25 games a year and spends half of the games in the locker room because he stubbed a big toe.

I feel torn but felt this was a no win situation for the C's.  You get AD but gut your team.  He leaves after 1 year and you will be a lottery team for years to come. 

You keep the young guys, hope to pick up some solid players to play around them and this is still a 50 win team as the 4 seed.  Need a ton of luck to get to the ECF but it's not impossible.  In 2 years max FA spot there and if the Jay's or the C's hit on another pick or two are playing at a high level you are back to championship contention. 

This is probably the best case scenario.  I think Al is going to be traded for an asset.  I believe this team is going to be young with Gordon the Vet playing at an allstar level.  I'm glad we will get to see what a year out of Kyrie's shadow does for Tatum and Brown. 

My pipe dream is somehow the C's get Brogdon to run point.  This is the guy I want.  Big time D, great shooter, huge PG.  Man this would make this off season for me bearable.

« Reply #4224 on: June 15, 2019, 08:36:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Nothing you can do if the player and his agent are saying he’ll be gone at the end of next season. As someone else said, it’s over at that point and you just have to move on. Which is what Ainge did and he is correct in doing so. It blows but there’s nothing you can do.  The Lakers always have a cake walk to rebuilding.

Probably the pest thing about this happening is that now with LeBron, Davis, all their role players and a max slot available you can be guaranteed that one of Kawhi, Butler or Irving will also now sign with them. If I’m the Lakers my clear #1 choice is Kawhi. If I’m Kawhi my clear #1 choice is going home and plying for the Lakers.

Kawhi already one two Finals MVPs , one in each conference, without riding anyone's coat tails. I see him staying in Toronto or going to the Clippers.

« Reply #4225 on: June 15, 2019, 08:36:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I agree with Ainge in not trading Tatum for AD if it was likely that AD would walk next summer.

I'm actually intrigued and excited to see what he has planned next now that Kyrie and AD are gone. Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Rozier, Smart, Horford are a group that could get to the conference finals under Stevens, and we still have assets to add to that significantly.

I love Kyrie, but I have to agree he was not a good fit here, our younger core regressed markedly when he returned, and I also think he held Hayward back.

If our front office believes in Tatum and Brown, then let them flourish

TP. Agree with this perspective.

« Reply #4226 on: June 15, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
The worst thing is that this is going to embolden other players and agents to act in this ridiculous manner to get what they want.

« Reply #4227 on: June 15, 2019, 08:48:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

So you think that after having had his own team, and the opportunity to manage the game with the ball in his hands with Toronto, that Kawhi would be willing to go to LA to be third banana behind LeBum and AD? I can't see it happening. I think Kawhi likes winning, but he likes winning on his terms. He will never have the chance to dictate the play on a team with LeBum. There were many news reports during the season about Kawhi not being interested in the Lakers because Lebum was there.

As for Kyrie, I posted this in another thread. He forced his way out of Cleveland to be The Man. Now we think he would be willing to go crawling back to a team where he would be the third option? He's willing to move to a worse team than he is in now because he wants his own team around him, players who will listen to him and not chafe under his leadership the way that the young guys on the Celtics did.

I think motivations for top players are changing. They want to go where they have a chance to win, but they want to go on their terms, and for their reasons. Especially if they've already won a championship. It's not as clearcut as it used to be i.e. go to the team that gave you the best chance to win. If it was, there'd be no debate about KD leaving the Warriors.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4228 on: June 15, 2019, 08:54:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Okay, let's get RW3 geared up to block AD shots multiple times again!!!

« Reply #4229 on: June 15, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's a massive win/win for both sides.  Pelicans get an unprecedented haul for an expiring contract.  Lakers position themselves to have a Big 3 of LeBron/Davis/Kemba (or Butler or Kyrie)...  Lakers should be the frontrunners to win a title and the Pelicans will have one of the most exciting young teams in the league. 

I didn't see us outbidding that offer without giving up Tatum, Brown, Smart, #14, #20, #22, and the Memphis 1st - and that wasn't going to happen without Davis agreeing to stay long term and Kyrie agreeing to re-sign long term.

As far as the Celtics concerned - they are about to step into irrelevance, but it'll be fun to watch Tatum develop over the next several years.