Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948978 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #2700 on: September 02, 2018, 05:53:14 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The Defiant Ones, with Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis.

I found it to be a very good movie.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/21853%7C0/The-Defiant-Ones.html

Two men, shackled together who can't stand one another are forced to help one another due to being shackled together and end up forming a close bond and mutual respect.

Perhaps we should shackle many folks together right NOW.........

That looks like really good stuff. Won Oscars for Original Screenplay and Black and White Cinematography. I might watch it soon.

« Reply #2701 on: September 02, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Airplane! (USA, 1980)

Parody of disaster films, set in an airplane where both pilots get food poisoned.

IMO one of the most influential comedies ever. It allowed Leslie Nielsen to relaunch his career as a deadpan comedian. It similarly encouraged more experimentation in Hollywood comedies. Personally, I have doubts about the quality of Airplane's intellectual offspring: many of the comedies that followed were derivative and any sense of a plot was lost in a succession of gags. But the impact Airplane! had is undeniable.

Also, although Airplane! has plenty of silly moments of its own (and its script is an unashamed pastiche of ideas taken from other films), I didn't get bored one minute while watching it. The delivery of the jokes is perfect and despite its density the movie is well structured and follows faithfully the love story of the pilot and stewardess to its (very) obvious conclusion.

I found this NYT piece, written to celebrate 30 years from the release of the movie, particularly good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/movies/27airplane.html

I'd say Airplane, Caddyshack and Jaws are the movies I quote the most.  The situations just come up so frequently.  Maybe add Month Python's Holy Grail to that list.
Yup

« Reply #2702 on: September 02, 2018, 10:11:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Has anyone seen Spike Lee's new movie?
Yup

« Reply #2703 on: September 02, 2018, 07:23:15 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Just watched The Defiant Ones.

The plot does a good job at developing the characters, and the acting is top-notch. I found the end a bit too optimistic about human nature, but it was in line with what you expected from the characters. It's a very good movie as GreenFaith said.

« Reply #2704 on: September 02, 2018, 08:01:05 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
I watched the Case for Christ.

The true story of an investigative journalist -- and avowed atheist -- who applies his skills to disprove the Christian faith of his wife... with life-altering results.

Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #2705 on: September 03, 2018, 12:06:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The true story of an investigative journalist -- and avowed atheist -- who applies his skills to disprove the Christian faith of his wife... with life-altering results.

My Aunt is a hardcore Baptist and she tried to get me to watch that propaganda when it came out in theaters.  She even sent me $20 in the mail suggesting I go see it.  I read about the “true story” and found multiple essays tearing it apart.  I think there’s even a book written called “The Case Against The Case For Christ”.  This atheist dedicated like 8 hours of YouTube videos doing a rebuttal of the book chapter by chapter:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j60-eK5sfwk&list=PL8B722E1FA8681B70

Bottom line was that Lee Strobel had been a pastor for 12 years before writing it and every single person he interviewed in his book was a devout Christian.  The idea that he was some non-believer who "accidentally" found god after speaking to historians is just some nonsense he uses to sell his books and make money off other Evangelicals.   

Google it and you’ll find plenty of rebuttals tearing apart his fragile arguments and outing him as dishonest.  Most don't even accept that he was ever actually "atheist".  He seems to define "atheist" as "someone mad at god".  He was a life-long Christian who at most lost his faith briefly (they refer to him as a "backslidden Christian") and then spoke to a bunch of evangelicals who helped him regain his faith. He made no attempt to speak to anyone who might give him an alternative view.

"Strobel's "shtick" is to present himself both as an investigative reporter (somewhat true - Strobel was once the legal editor of the Chicago Tribune) and a former atheist. For a self-professed investigative reporter, he seems utterly incapable of asking difficult questions, providing citations for his claims, confronting people when they make overly vague or conflicting statements if said statements cohere with his views or assertions, and seems to take The Bible at face value without argument. Likewise, his description of his atheist past sounds suspiciously like the way atheists are depicted by Christians (e.g. that he was rejecting God, despite knowing or suspecting that He existed(!), in order to be able to sin freely[1]).

Furthermore, he rarely interviews people critical of his position and when he does quote them, the quotes are usually superficial and used as a strawman argument for the following text. Comments that support his position are often taken at face value, without analysis or scrutiny and there is almost never any investigation of the claims made which are in support of his arguments.

It is perhaps fitting, given these "credentials", that Strobel was hired as Professor of Christian Thought[2] by Houston Baptist the-bible-is-literally-true[3] "University" where he now works alongside "I'm a professional philosopher, no really"-William Lane Craig."

FWIW, I heard the movie is actually not as terrible as some other Christian propaganda films like “God's Not Dead” (consistently panned as some of the worst movies ever made).   This one got a 50 out of 100 on metacritic which is actually borderline watchable if you are the niche audience for it. 

I ended up using the $20 from my Aunt to see "Fast and the Furious 8".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:04:48 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2706 on: September 03, 2018, 12:40:35 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

My Aunt is a hardcore Baptist and she tried to get me to watch that propaganda when it came out in theaters.  She even sent me $20 in the mail suggesting I go see it.  I read about the “true story” and found multiple essays tearing it apart.  I think there’s even a book written called “The Case Against The Case For Christ”. Bottom line was that Lee Strobel had been a pastor for 12 years before writing it and every single person he interviewed in his book was a devout Christian.  The idea that he was some non-believer who "accidentally" found god after speaking to historians is just some nonsense he uses to sell his books and make money off other Evangelicals.   

Google it and you’ll find plenty of rebuttals tearing apart his fragile arguments and outing him as dishonest. 

"Strobel's "shtick" is to present himself both as an investigative reporter (somewhat true - Strobel was once the legal editor of the Chicago Tribune) and a former atheist. For a self-professed investigative reporter, he seems utterly incapable of asking difficult questions, providing citations for his claims, confronting people when they make overly vague or conflicting statements if said statements cohere with his views or assertions, and seems to take The Bible at face value without argument. Likewise, his description of his atheist past sounds suspiciously like the way atheists are depicted by Christians (e.g. that he was rejecting God, despite knowing or suspecting that He existed(!), in order to be able to sin freely[1]).

Furthermore, he rarely interviews people critical of his position and when he does quote them, the quotes are usually superficial and used as a strawman argument for the following text. Comments that support his position are often taken at face value, without analysis or scrutiny and there is almost never any investigation of the claims made which are in support of his arguments.

It is perhaps fitting, given these "credentials", that Strobel was hired as Professor of Christian Thought[2] by Houston Baptist the-bible-is-literally-true[3] "University" where he now works alongside "I'm a professional philosopher, no really"-William Lane Craig."

FWIW, I heard the movie is actually not as terrible as some other Christian propaganda films like “God's Not Dead” (consistently panned as some of the worst movies ever made).   This one got a 50 out of 100 on metacritic which is actually borderline watchable if you are the niche audience for it. 

You might as well reserve your place in Hell for that act of abomination.

« Reply #2707 on: September 03, 2018, 12:50:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

My Aunt is a hardcore Baptist and she tried to get me to watch that propaganda when it came out in theaters.  She even sent me $20 in the mail suggesting I go see it.  I read about the “true story” and found multiple essays tearing it apart.  I think there’s even a book written called “The Case Against The Case For Christ”.  This atheist dedicated like 8 hours of YouTube videos doing a rebuttal of the book chapter by chapter:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j60-eK5sfwk&list=PL8B722E1FA8681B70

Bottom line was that Lee Strobel had been a pastor for 12 years before writing it and every single person he interviewed in his book was a devout Christian.  The idea that he was some non-believer who "accidentally" found god after speaking to historians is just some nonsense he uses to sell his books and make money off other Evangelicals.   

Google it and you’ll find plenty of rebuttals tearing apart his fragile arguments and outing him as dishonest.  Most don't even accept that he was ever actually "atheist".  He seems to define "atheist" as "someone mad at god".  He was a life-long Christian who at most lost his faith briefly (they refer to him as a "backslidden Christian") and then spoke to a bunch of evangelicals who helped him regain his faith. He made no attempt to speak to anyone who might give him an alternative view.

You might as well reserve your place in Hell for that act of abomination.
It was arguably a more realistic movie.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:33:11 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2708 on: September 03, 2018, 12:57:02 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Just watched The Defiant Ones.

The plot does a good job at developing the characters, and the acting is top-notch. I found the end a bit too optimistic about human nature, but it was in line with what you expected from the characters. It's a very good movie as GreenFaith said.
Been quite a while since I've seen it but it is good movie.  I actually don't remember the ending though.  Sidney Poitier is one of my favorite actors.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend In the Heat of the Night. 

« Reply #2709 on: September 03, 2018, 07:31:27 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Castle In The Sky (Japan, 1986)

Animated steampunk adventure by Hayao Miyazaki. A young girl and a boy fight against a host of enemies in their quest to discover a mythical city floating in the sky. The plot mixes several of Miyazaki's themes: a young but strong-willed female character, ecology, anti-militarism,  and some goofy and likeable pirates. I think the plot made a very good job at developing the characters and pushing the story forward at the same time.

It is astonishingly beautiful visually. I particularly enjoyed the miners. Miyazaki was quoted as saying  "I was in Wales just after the miners' strike. I really admired the way the miners' unions fought to the very end for their jobs and communities, and I wanted to reflect the strength of those communities in my film."

There can be endless discussions about what the city/island in the sky might actually mean. You have an invisible but  powerful city, with a very advanced (maybe even: perfected) technology, and lots of treasures - actually when the army reaches Laputa they demonstrate a greed reminiscent of the conquistadores in Latin America. Miyazaki as usual uses a great number of references: for instance, its name (Laputa) comes from Gulliver's Travels; whereas it is mentioned in the film that it was fire from that city that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. Add to this that Laputa seems like an automated, post-scarcity society and you throw in any number of theological, Marxist and literary explanations about Laputa. All this depth is added in the movie without making it feel one bit pretentious - this is IMO one of its greatest achievements.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:02:25 PM by greece666 »

« Reply #2710 on: September 03, 2018, 08:03:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Animated steampunk adventure by Hayao Miyazaki. A young girl and a boy fight against a host of enemies in their quest to discover a mythical city floating in the sky. The plot mixes several of Miyazaki's themes: a young but strong-willed female character, ecology, anti-militarism,  and some goofy and likeable pirates. I think the plot made a very good job at developing the characters and pushing the story forward at the same time.

It is astonishingly beautiful visually. I particularly enjoyed the miners. Miyazaki was quoted as saying  "I was in Wales just after the miners' strike. I really admired the way the miners' unions fought to the very end for their jobs and communities, and I wanted to reflect the strength of those communities in my film."

There can be endless discussions about what the city/island in the sky might actually mean. You have an invisible but  powerful city, with a very advanced (maybe even: perfected) technology, and lots of treasures - actually when the army reaches Laputa they demonstrate a greed reminiscent of the conquistadores in Latin America. Miyazaki as usual uses a great number of references: for instance, its name (Laputa) comes from Gulliver's Travels; whereas it is mentioned in the film that it was fire from that city that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. Add to this that Laputa seems like an automated, post-scarcity society and you throw in any number of theological, Marxist and literary explanations about Laputa. All this depth is added in the movie without making it feel one bit pretentious - this is IMO one of its greatest achievements.

Wow, I've somehow missed this my whole life! Definitely going to watch it soon
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2711 on: September 04, 2018, 08:03:40 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Are you a Miyazaki fan? How is he received in Australia?

« Reply #2712 on: September 04, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
The Story of Louis Pasteur (USA, 1936)

Biopic starring Paul Muni. Won three Academy Awards (Best Actor, Best Screenplay and Best Story). Note that the distinction between original and adapted screenplay did not exist back then, and that the Award for Best Story has ceased to exist.

My expectations were high but the film fell short of them. To be fair, its subject is a very difficult one. Pasteur lived the life of an academic and a researcher. Absorbed in science his personal life was by no means exceptional - this is hardly good material for a Hollywood movie. The filmmakers try to compensate this by making an educational film: there is no music at all, very little dramatic tension, and the film focuses on highlighting the struggles that Pasteur met in his life and the importance of his work for humanity.

But here comes a second, perhaps even more serious flaw: although The Story of Pasteur feels like a documentary, much of the information contained in it is inaccurate. I quote from the French Wikipedia:

"The film being strongly romanticized, it goes without saying that as a history of science it  is outrageously concealed and oriented to meet certain needs. A number of events are entirely fabricated: Napoleon III forbade Pasteur any activity, when in reality he appointed him senator for life. In the same way, Pasteur was struck down by a hemiplegia in 1868 when the film began and not after the war, as the plot claims. Other elements are above all sensational: the public demonstration of 1881 which consists of verifying the effect of vaccination on fifty sheep suffering from anthrax, and the Alsatian rescued from rabies in 1885, are among them."

I have some quibbles with the above (afaik there was indeed a boy that cured from rabbis) but overall it is spot on. The screenwriters wanted to have a Pasteur that conflicted with the scientific establishment, but Pasteur met with recognition quite early in life. At the age of 26 he was already a university professor in Strasbourg - the beginning of a career that was in every sense brilliant and met with support of the government. If they wanted a biopic to educate the general public about vaccination Brandon Jenner was a better choice, as he was a maverick rather than an academic.

This film has in heart in the right place, but the outcome is flat and even dull. There is no character development, and you feel emotionally detached even at moments when you expect to feel strong empathy (the treatment of the Alsatian boy). Still, Paul Muni's amazing performance comes to the rescue and turns what would have been an indifferent film into a memorable experience. There is no doubt in my mind that Muni is among the Hollywood's greats in the same league as Marlon Brando and Orson Welles.

« Reply #2713 on: September 04, 2018, 07:55:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of Miyazaki. He has a pretty big following in Australia actually, or at least in the city I live in people love his work.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2714 on: September 05, 2018, 05:30:30 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of Miyazaki. He has a pretty big following in Australia actually, or at least in the city I live in people love his work.

I've been to the Ghibli museum a couple times in Japan dedicated to the works of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghibli_Museum

It's pretty great.  They only have a limited amount of tickets available daily, because they want people to appreciate it without fighting through thousands of people.  They also don't allow photography inside for the same reason - they want people to enjoy the magic.   You have to reserve the tickets at least a month in advance.    There's some really cool exhibits and there's always a short animated film they show in the museum theater that's exclusive to the museum.   Also kinda cool is the actual museum ticket they give you is a 35mm film strip from one of their films:

It's definitely one of my favorite places to visit in Japan.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:35:50 AM by LarBrd33 »