Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 399137 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #825 on: November 24, 2019, 12:12:12 PM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Lakers are 14-2, but I don't think they are as good as their record right now. They have had a ton of close games against inferior teams...Even more, many of those teams jumped out to double digit leads, and they had to come from behind to barely win.

Lebron and AD are great, but there's really no one else contributing consistently. To put the burden on those two for an entire 82, it's not a question of "if", but just "when" they will have injuries.

« Reply #826 on: November 24, 2019, 12:12:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd like to give a shout out to Markell Fultz and Domantas Sabonis.

Markell FINALLY hitting his stride...and Domantas evoking some thoughts of his dear ol' dad...

Domantas averaging 19, 13 and 4...won't be 24 until next May.

« Reply #827 on: November 24, 2019, 12:36:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

Markell FINALLY hitting his stride...and Domantas evoking some thoughts of his dear ol' dad...

Just like Jaylen, that contract for Sabonis was a great investment.

As for Fultz, the Sixers could really use him this season.

« Reply #828 on: November 24, 2019, 12:43:00 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Lakers are 14-2, but I don't think they are as good as their record right now. They have had a ton of close games against inferior teams...Even more, many of those teams jumped out to double digit leads, and they had to come from behind to barely win.

Lebron and AD are great, but there's really no one else contributing consistently. To put the burden on those two for an entire 82, it's not a question of "if", but just "when" they will have injuries.
No they're not as good as their record.  However the Lakers 8.8 point differential is tied for 2nd in the league.  They're certainly much better than many on here predicted.  Come playoff time I think they're the 2nd most likely to make the finals from the West after the Clips. 

Lebron has been a paragone of good health and playing lots of minutes.  Don't see why last year's groin injury trumps that history.  AD certainly has an injury history but he's not being load managed like Kawhi. 

« Reply #829 on: November 24, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

No they're not as good as their record.  However the Lakers 8.8 point differential is tied for 2nd in the league.  They're certainly much better than many on here predicted.  Come playoff time I think they're the 2nd most likely to make the finals from the West after the Clips. 

Lebron has been a paragone of good health and playing lots of minutes.  Don't see why last year's groin injury trumps that history.  AD certainly has an injury history but he's not being load managed like Kawhi.

They have a vet supporting cast that know their roles and how to battle in the playoffs, with Rondo, Bradley , Dudley, Danny Green, Java McGee. Also, Kuzma and KCP are good role players for them. I wouldn't underestimate them.

Lebron is also playing like he knows his chances for another ring are limited. They are going all in this year.

« Reply #830 on: November 24, 2019, 12:54:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

They have a vet supporting cast that know their roles and how to battle in the playoffs, with Rondo, Bradley , Dudley, Danny Green, Java McGee. Also, Kuzma and KCP are good role players for them. I wouldn't underestimate them.

Lebron is also playing like he knows his chances for another ring are limited. They are going all in this year.

What Hpantazo said.

The Lakers are indeed a dangerous team...and will be moreso in the playoffs.

Playoff Rondo WILL show up.

LeBron, AD and Dwight ALL with a lot to prove...let's not forget Boogie Cousins......

Things are shaping up for an EPIC Western Conference Finals...Lakers vs Clips...for the soul of California.

If the Clips can beat THAT team.....get even ONE championship...it will start to change folks' opinions of the two franchises somewhat...can't say anymore that LA is in fact The Lakers' team.

« Reply #831 on: November 24, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

No they don't need Fultz.  Fultz is shooting 20% from 3.  He's putting up pedestrian numbers on a bad team.  He'd barely help them in the regular season let alone the playoffs.  Mentally he's fragile. 

Then you have to factor in his contract.  9.7M this season.  12.2M next season.  Having Fultz means they wouldn't have Horford to begin with. 

« Reply #832 on: November 24, 2019, 12:58:22 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

What Hpantazo said.

The Lakers are indeed a dangerous team...and will be moreso in the playoffs.

Playoff Rondo WILL show up.

LeBron, AD and Dwight ALL with a lot to prove...

Things are shaping up for an EPIC Western Conference Finals...Lakers vs Clips...for the soul of California.

If the Clips can beat THAT team.....get even ONE championship...it will start to change folks' opinions of the two franchises somewhat...can't say anymore that LA is in fact The Lakers' team.
They've also got several one year contracts that could be moved at the deadline and are likely to be a hot destination for buyouts.  I expect Iggy to end up there. 

« Reply #833 on: November 24, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

No they don't need Fultz.  Fultz is shooting 20% from 3.  He's putting up pedestrian numbers on a bad team.  He'd barely help them in the regular season let alone the playoffs.  Mentally he's fragile. 

Then you have to factor in his contract.  9.7M this season.  12.2M next season.  Having Fultz means they wouldn't have Horford to begin with.

That is better than Ben Simmons, though...and I'm certain that Fultz will get better as the season goes on.

Look, Simmons is a FINE player but he gets a pass because he's 6'10".......if Rajon Rondo was EVER that tall we'd be talking about Rondo being an all-time great.

« Reply #834 on: November 24, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

That is better than Ben Simmons, though...and I'm certain that Fultz will get better as the season goes on.

Look, Simmons is a FINE player but he gets a pass because he's 6'10".......if Rajon Rondo was EVER that tall we'd be talking about Rondo being an all-time great.
Surely you're not suggesting they'd be better off with Fultz than Simmons.  Simmons with his faults is still >>>>>>>>>>> than Fultz.  The Sixers wouldn't be better off with Fultz on their bench.  They need a solid 3pt shooter off the bench.   

Rondo is my fav.  Simmons is definitely lacking what a 6'10" Rondo could have been but Simmons is still young and could develop into it. 

« Reply #835 on: November 24, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Surely you're not suggesting they'd be better off with Fultz than Simmons.  Simmons with his faults is still >>>>>>>>>>> than Fultz.  The Sixers wouldn't be better off with Fultz on their bench.  They need a solid 3pt shooter off the bench.   

Rondo is my fav.  Simmons is definitely lacking what a 6'10" Rondo could have been but Simmons is still young and could develop into it.

All I'm saying is that as much as I "LOVE" Ben Simmons it is quite baffling to me why he hasn't developed a three...

Will he be a linchpin this post season once again? Greek Freak has been quite serious about the development of this part of his game.

Ben Simmons develops a three and he is a top 10 player, easily. If he hasn't done it yet then sadly he won't, this season at least.

And Fultz? ORL is only 3 games below 500 and the season is young...I wouldn't sleep on them.

« Reply #836 on: November 24, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

All I'm saying is that as much as I "LOVE" Ben Simmons it is quite baffling to me why he hasn't developed a three...

Will he be a linchpin this post season once again? Greek Freak has been quite serious about the development of this part of his game.

Ben Simmons develops a three and he is a top 10 player, easily. If he hasn't done it yet then sadly he won't, this season at least.

And Fultz? ORL is only 3 games below 500 and the season is young...I wouldn't sleep on them.
Maybe Giannis is serious about his shooting but he really hasn't improved.  He shot better as a rookie from 3 and from the line than he's shooting now.  Sure, his 3 point attempts are up, but he's still below 30%.  He's at 59% from the line.  This is his 7th year.

« Reply #837 on: November 24, 2019, 02:25:35 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The difference is that Giannis takes a 3 now and then so teams pay some attention while in Simmons' case nobody pays attention. Sure Giannis is nowhere close to a decent 3p% but keeps defences more honest than Simmons

« Reply #838 on: November 24, 2019, 02:36:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
The difference is that Giannis takes a 3 now and then so teams pay some attention while in Simmons' case nobody pays attention. Sure Giannis is nowhere close to a decent 3p% but keeps defences more honest than Simmons
Giannis can shoot all the 3s he wants.  Just keep him out of the paint. 

« Reply #839 on: November 24, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Maybe Giannis is serious about his shooting but he really hasn't improved.  He shot better as a rookie from 3 and from the line than he's shooting now.  Sure, his 3 point attempts are up, but he's still below 30%.  He's at 59% from the line.  This is his 7th year.

[dang], already? time flies!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)