Author Topic: Kyrie now opt in?  (Read 13174 times)

Re: Kyrie now opt in?
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would prefer one of two options.
Davis without Kyrie or sit tight until we can get rid of Hayward and have cap room to sign one of the few players in the NBA that can actually win us a championship.

Trading for Davis without Kyrie is an insane gamble.  If Davis walks, this franchise is setback years.

Hope you like rebuilds.
They keep putting it out there they will do it.

I'm skeptical ownership says okay if Kyrie won't tell them he's in.

They took all these steps post PP/KG to slowly build back up.   To still mortgage much of the future via an AD trade without Kyrie just seems to be ridiculously counter-intuitive to what the team has been building at for the past 6 or so years.

The thing is, who is the next guy to maybe become available if they pass on Davis?

If not AD, the next big name who seems like he might possibly be available is at least 3-4 years away.

There isn't a guy who is currently All-NBA caliber and near the start of his prime who seems likely to be available in the next few years. 

Is Danny going to sit on all his assets and just be like, "Yeah okay let's keep doing this asset collection thing for another 3-5 years"?

Are you willing to roll the dice on AD resigning in Boston?  Even if they do acquire him but Kyrie walks, they're probably not winning the title, nevermind getting out of the East next season, IMO.   

I think the more prudent thing to do would be to focus on a Plan B of not trading for AD and keep the young pups. At least the cupboard isn't bare.  Your hope is either Tatum or Brown make the leap.  It's not ideal but its better than losing Kyrie, AD walking after a season & 2nd round exit, & the Celtics facing, most likely, another rebuild in '19-20.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
Kyrie opt out deadline in 2-3 days right?

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
SAS reported that Kyrie flew to SF to convince Durant to team up in BKN. 

Kyrie should be smart enough to know he can’t do this by himself.

Maybe he reconsiders the Knicks if they are able to get Davis.

May also explain why Kyrie is being aloof with Boston. Why give them any indication that would encourage them to outbid the Knicks or Nets for KD.

I mean, if that’s the case he could tell them outright that he’s not re-signing, which would be about as much as he could do to dissuade an AD to Boston trade.

« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2019, 12:54:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
SAS reported that Kyrie flew to SF to convince Durant to team up in BKN. 

Kyrie should be smart enough to know he can’t do this by himself.

Maybe he reconsiders the Knicks if they are able to get Davis.

May also explain why Kyrie is being aloof with Boston. Why give them any indication that would encourage them to outbid the Knicks or Nets for KD.

I mean, if that’s the case he could tell them outright that he’s not re-signing, which would be about as much as he could do to dissuade an AD to Boston trade.
Assuming Ainge wasn't lying and he hasn't done that, everything that's leaked about Kyrie indicates he's hedging his bets.

He's setup BKN to go to if they can land another max level guy to compliment him, NYK is an option, and even the Celtics if the roster gets reworked to the point its his best option.

I'm still thinking he is gone unless every other location that wants to pair two max FAs strikes out. (or gets two guys who aren't Kyrie)

« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Kyrie is 100% opting out, even if he is planning to resign in Boston.

I think the KD injury changes the whole landscape though. It means KD will opt in with the Warriors, which I think helps the C’s chances in retaining kyrie.
- LilRip

« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2019, 12:58:57 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Have to say.  After the circus of having a superstar on the roster whose free agency is approaching I'm not sure how I feel about going through it all over again (especially a Klutch client).

That being said I think I want to get Davis more just so the lakers can't get him.  Not a good way to approach it (like playing a game not to lose instead of playing to win). 

« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2019, 01:40:00 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Have to say.  After the circus of having a superstar on the roster whose free agency is approaching I'm not sure how I feel about going through it all over again (especially a Klutch client).

That being said I think I want to get Davis more just so the lakers can't get him.  Not a good way to approach it (like playing a game not to lose instead of playing to win).

I think that’s just the reality of stars today. They’re always going to be asked about their free agency. What’s interesting is Kawhi, being outside the US market, has largely got a pass from the media on his own free agency...the hype around him leaving was much higher on Kawhi, KD and AD than it’s been for him. And he’s hardly faced any blowback or vitriol from the Toronto fan base or the media for his lack of commitment to them. Kyrie committed to us at the start of the season and it just made everyone more insecure about his intentions  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
Kyrie is 100% opting out, even if he is planning to resign in Boston.

I think the KD injury changes the whole landscape though. It means KD will opt in with the Warriors, which I think helps the C’s chances in retaining kyrie.

Yeah but we will not know will KD opt in before June 28th i think. Somewhere around that date.

« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2019, 02:48:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Are you willing to roll the dice on AD resigning in Boston?  Even if they do acquire him but Kyrie walks, they're probably not winning the title, nevermind getting out of the East next season, IMO.   

I think the more prudent thing to do would be to focus on a Plan B of not trading for AD and keep the young pups. At least the cupboard isn't bare.  Your hope is either Tatum or Brown make the leap.  It's not ideal but its better than losing Kyrie, AD walking after a season & 2nd round exit, & the Celtics facing, most likely, another rebuild in '19-20.

I've been arguing for exactly that plan of action for a while now.

I'm just saying that I believe Ainge is going to be willing to take the risk.

All indications are that Ainge's goal in building this team is to make a big move or two that sets up the team with 2-3 superstar players at the top, much like he did in 2007.

If he passes on AD, as I said before, the next opportunity to do so is probably far enough in the future that the current slate of assets that Ainge has put together might have already declined significantly in value. 

For example, even if Tatum and Brown continue to play well and improve, a few years from now they will probably be earning $20 million a year or more.  The picks Ainge has compiled will have turned into players. 

In other words, passing on AD might mean almost having to start over again in terms of turning current pieces into assets for a future trade.  Does Ainge really want to have to roll over the whole team again in the hopes that the next time around things will work out more favorably and the guy he targets will be more inclined to be here?

I tend to think Danny is just going to take the risk.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2019, 02:57:43 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
Who knows, maybe AD will get to like Celtics and re-sign with Celtics if we get him. Nobody knows. Irving also said he will re-sign, you never now. Everything is a risk in this sport.

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2019, 03:07:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It's very likely that Kyrie opts in. If he wanted to play for the C's for one more year he would probably just sign 2 year deal with the second year being a player option. That would allow him to make more money and have another year he could opt into if he got injured and couldn't get a new contract.

There really isn't any benefit to him opting in.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Yes.  Thursday, June 13, is the opt-out deadline for Kyrie and Baynes.

Tuesday, June 18, is the opt-out deadline for Al Horford.

Thursday, June 20, of course, is the draft.

Kyrie will almost certainly opt-out on Thursday, given that he stands to make about 10M more next year no matter where he signs.

A key factor that folks need to remember that probably play into Kyrie's "long term plan" is that he will be eligible for the 10-year veteran max base contract of 35% of cap in two years.   He's currently only eligible for 30%.

What that means is no matter where he goes, he will want to sign a new contract in either 2 or 3 years.

If he stays in Boston, then he'd want to sign a new contract in 2 years and at that time, probably try to lock up a 5-year max Bird Right's contract that will pay him max money through his age 33 season.

If he goes to another team, he will need to wait 3 years before signing the big new contract because he will need to be with that team for 3 years to vest his Bird rights.   However, on this path, a 5-year will pay him on a max deal through his age 34 season.

Interestingly, unless he thinks he will still be able to command a close-to-max contract after his age 33 season, he can actually make more total money in his career through age 34 if he waits 3 years before signing that 5-year deal.

Also:  Kyrie has stated that he plans to retire in his early 30s.  Let's assume age 34 is the goal. 

What that boils down to, is this:   If his goal is to rack up max earnings by that point, he doesn't necessarily make more by staying in Boston.

Here are the three paths:

Top total earnings:   Sign 3 year deal in BOS followed by 5 year in BOS, retire after age 34 season.
Second place:  Sign 3 years for Team X followed by 5 years with Team X, retire after age 34 season.
Third place:  Sign 2 years in BOS followed by 5 year in BOS, retire after age 33.

Of these, the first two are actually fairly close, only a couple million apart.  The only difference in the two is the difference in raises (8% vs 5% byc) in years 2 & 3 of the first contract.  That totals to only about 2 million.  Other than that, they are the same.

The third one stays close to the second as of age 33 and then falls way behind due to the massive ~45M-ish salary in that age 34 season that the 2nd path has.   In theory, Kyrie could still get another contract at age 34 to make up some of that, but it's doubtful it would be close to a full max contract at that age.

Short version:  People who think total earnings favor Kyrie staying in BOS should realize that it just isn't really that big of an advantage.   BOS only gets an advantage here if Kyrie is worried about his knees and doesn't have the confidence that he'll be able to command a max contract in 2 or 3 years in his age 28 or 29 season.  If that's the case, then he's best off just signing a 5-year deal right now.

Of course, if he's worried about his knees so as to do that ... then I'm not so keen that we should be paying that...
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I love Kyrie but he seems to be as unpredictable as a trapeze artist with diarrhea at times.

Call me selfish but I still believe his best opportunity to succeed is in BOS. I'd love to have him back.

« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2019, 04:04:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Kyrie will almost certainly opt-out on Thursday, given that he stands to make about 10M more next year no matter where he signs.

A key factor that folks need to remember that probably play into Kyrie's "long term plan" is that he will be eligible for the 10-year veteran max base contract of 35% of cap in two years.   He's currently only eligible for 30%.

What that means is no matter where he goes, he will want to sign a new contract in either 2 or 3 years.

All the more reason to feel queasy about him coming back.  We could be going through all this nonsense again in 2 years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2019, 04:15:38 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

All the more reason to feel queasy about him coming back.  We could be going through all this nonsense again in 2 years.

But isn't this basically what every team with star caliber players needs to deal with these days.  Players seem to be signing shorter deals and moving around more in general.  For those that want to go young, whose to say the J's won't be a flight risk when their time for free agency comes?