Author Topic: Zach Lowe doesn't like Tatum right now  (Read 2882 times)

Zach Lowe doesn't like Tatum right now
« on: November 10, 2018, 10:33:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25219366/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-jayson-tatum-nba

It is #6 (can't see to copy it for some reason).  Gist is basically that Tatum is settling.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Zach Lowe doesn't like Tatum right now
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I read this. My initial thought was, "It'd be hard not to settle for 2s when your 3s aren't falling." Tatum is more comfortable in the mid-range. It's not surprising that when he has struggled, he settled for shots with which he is comfortable.

I really have liked the way he has forced it at the rim the last couple of games more.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 11:33:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He's 20 years old and he's had a 7-ish string of mixed games. Time to label him a bust? Tatums record last year speaks to his true abilities.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 12:32:21 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Either he read the article or someone on the coaching staff did because last night he was taking it to the basket and not really settling. 

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 12:33:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Either he read the article or someone on the coaching staff did because last night he was taking it to the basket and not really settling.
I think Brad benching him against the Suns would've (hopefully) lit a fire beneath him.

Hope he keeps that attitude when Kyrie comes back. He shouldn't be aggressive only when Kyrie sits
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:00:52 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think Brad benching him against the Suns would've (hopefully) lit a fire beneath him.

Hope he keeps that attitude when Kyrie comes back. He shouldn't be aggressive only when Kyrie sits

Yeah, he has been attacking the basket more. I think it is something the coaches must have stressed to him.

At least until Hayward is 100% (and if we want to go far) we need Tatum to remain agressive. But not just settle for mid range shots. Same with Brown.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:41:32 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
He's 20 years old and he's had a 7-ish string of mixed games. Time to label him a bust? Tatums record last year speaks to his true abilities.

You didn’t read the piece... he doesn’t label him as a bust.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 08:57:08 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Tatum be fine
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
tatum has been awful, even in pre-season everything he put up hit the front of the rim. I personally think everything he worked on this off season were the wrong things to work on.

while working on his strength(which, btw he said he did so he could finish at the rim better and now doesn't drive to the basket) he should've worked on his dribble and speed as well.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Similar article today from The Ringer discussing sophomores.

Jayson Tatum, Celtics
Jayson Tatum can hit miraculous 3-pointers that you’d expect to see from a Kobe Bryant highlight reel.

Tatum is also a skilled at-rim finisher who twirls his arms around to score like he’s an action figure, and has the hops to fly over the top of opponents on dunks like he did against LeBron James in last season’s Eastern Conference finals.

So why is a player so talented taking so many midrange jumpers? Tatum often dribbles into pull-up 2s early in the clock instead of taking a side-dribble into a 3. It’s an understandable habit for a young player who has studied and trained with Kobe. This season, 28 percent of Tatum’s shot attempts have come from the 2-point range outside of 14 feet, which leads all players for his position, according to Cleaning the Glass. The pull-up is part of Tatum’s fabric; it’s what makes him a potentially lethal scorer in end-game situations. But the same shot-making inclinations that allow for comparisons to all-time greats are the same inclinations that put blinders on his game.

These early-clock 2s are the shots Tatum needs to eliminate from his diet in favor of more drives to the basket, where he can finish, draw fouls, or make plays for someone else.

Tatum has improved his passing accuracy since entering the league, and he’s more cognizant about looking for his teammates. This season, he’s passing more often and his assists are up. But there’s so much more room to grow immediately if he stops settling.

If Tatum can start making more plays attacking the basket with a score-first mentality and delivering a pass, then we could soon be looking at a complete player. Tatum is going through growing pains early this season, but diverging more from the Kobe formula could further elevate his play and raise the ceiling for the struggling Celtics.

I hope he never works with Kobe again. Kobe is obviously a legend, but was overrated and inefficient at times. Tatum needs to be at the rim or behind the arc much more.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25219366/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-jayson-tatum-nba

It is #6 (can't see to copy it for some reason).  Gist is basically that Tatum is settling.

Isn't he?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I haven't been a fan of Tatum this year.

My recollection is that last year, especially early on, he got to the rim quite a bit and was impressive when he finished layups around defenders with his long, oddly outward-bending arms.

I can hardly remember him doing that at all this year.

I did appreciate that early on this season Tatum was grabbing a lot of boards, playing almost as a de-facto power forward.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 04:08:08 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Jayson Tatum, Celtics
Jayson Tatum can hit miraculous 3-pointers that you’d expect to see from a Kobe Bryant highlight reel.

Tatum is also a skilled at-rim finisher who twirls his arms around to score like he’s an action figure, and has the hops to fly over the top of opponents on dunks like he did against LeBron James in last season’s Eastern Conference finals.

So why is a player so talented taking so many midrange jumpers? Tatum often dribbles into pull-up 2s early in the clock instead of taking a side-dribble into a 3. It’s an understandable habit for a young player who has studied and trained with Kobe. This season, 28 percent of Tatum’s shot attempts have come from the 2-point range outside of 14 feet, which leads all players for his position, according to Cleaning the Glass. The pull-up is part of Tatum’s fabric; it’s what makes him a potentially lethal scorer in end-game situations. But the same shot-making inclinations that allow for comparisons to all-time greats are the same inclinations that put blinders on his game.

These early-clock 2s are the shots Tatum needs to eliminate from his diet in favor of more drives to the basket, where he can finish, draw fouls, or make plays for someone else.

Tatum has improved his passing accuracy since entering the league, and he’s more cognizant about looking for his teammates. This season, he’s passing more often and his assists are up. But there’s so much more room to grow immediately if he stops settling.

If Tatum can start making more plays attacking the basket with a score-first mentality and delivering a pass, then we could soon be looking at a complete player. Tatum is going through growing pains early this season, but diverging more from the Kobe formula could further elevate his play and raise the ceiling for the struggling Celtics.

I hope he never works with Kobe again. Kobe is obviously a legend, but was overrated and inefficient at times. Tatum needs to be at the rim or behind the arc much more.

How much did he really work with Kobe?  I thought it was just a couple of times.  I know he worked with Hanlen for much of the summer.

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Jayson Tatum, Celtics

How much did he really work with Kobe?  I thought it was just a couple of times.  I know he worked with Hanlen for much of the summer.

It takes very little for me to blame kobe for anything.

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Tatum is a good player.  You don't put up a season like last season (including playoffs) as a fluke.  Now he is also 20 or 21 or whatever so you can't expect him to play at such a high level consistently.  He is still a very good and very young player.  (same goes for Brown).