Author Topic: 7 Sox named to All Star team --- 4 starters  (Read 5016 times)

7 Sox named to All Star team --- 4 starters
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:40:07 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
The fans of MLB have voted 7 Red Sox to the All Star team, tying the Cubs for the most players named.

Pedroia, Manny, Ortiz & Youk were all named as starters - obviously, Ortiz will be replaced.

Also named were Varitek, JD Drew (wow, what a turn around) and Papelbon.

One has to think that at least 1 pitcher and Lowell will also end up getting the nod.

I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Re: 7 Sox named to All Star team --- 4 starters
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:44:58 PM »

Offline T1ME

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Varitek. HA!

Lowell, Dice K, and Lester are all more deserving of the nod.

Plus his scum bag agent is going to use this to drive up the price.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:00:57 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Is Varitek even above the Mendoza line?

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:30:02 PM »

Offline Spraypaint Victory

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Wow this just shows that lack of good offensive catchers in the AL.. sad.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 07:36:22 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
When I first saw that Varitek made it, especially as a reserve that wasn't voted in based on popularity with the fans, I was shocked. 

However, upon further review, I think it makes a lot of sense.  Though he's been abominable at the plate recently, his true value is behind the plate, managing pitchers. 

Throughout his career his been lauded for calling the best game in the bigs.  You can't really put a statistical value on that.  I'm glad to see that he was recognized for that. 

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 07:49:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am quite disappointed two Phillies didn't make the team

Hammels and Burrell. 

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 08:22:30 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
When I first saw that Varitek made it, especially as a reserve that wasn't voted in based on popularity with the fans, I was shocked.

However, upon further review, I think it makes a lot of sense.  Though he's been abominable at the plate recently, his true value is behind the plate, managing pitchers.

Throughout his career his been lauded for calling the best game in the bigs.  You can't really put a statistical value on that.  I'm glad to see that he was recognized for that.

You can't seriously argue that Pierzynski does not deserve Varitek's spot.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Congrats to the voting public for putting the correct starter behind the plate! 

(My campaigning for Mauer on this site helped.... maybe?  no?)

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:09:44 PM »

Offline witkin

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 10
Varitek made the all-star team based on the players vote.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

You can't seriously argue that Pierzynski does not deserve Varitek's spot.

I've been very frustrated with Varitek lately.  However, as someone who has spent a lot of time on the Celtics' boards bashing stats and lauding intangibles, I can't sit here and pretend like Varitek's hitting is the only thing that matters. 

Varitek has been universally lauded as handling pitchers better than anyone else in the game.  While Pierzynski might be hitting better, if Varitek's having more of an impact on his team's pitching performance, he's arguably having the better year.  Of course it's very tough to measure that.  Sure, the middle relief has been weak, but would they be weaker without Varitek?  I don't know.

It'd be one things if the fans voted him in based on name recognition, but the players voted him in.  To me, that says that they recognize that his play behind the plate may mean more than anything any catcher can do with his bat.  Remember, players only bat 5 times a game or so.  While Varitek may suck at that, he can conceivably influence 40 or 50 other at bats from behind the plate.  That's much more meaningful.