Author Topic: Red Sox Trade Betts + Price To The Dodgers  (Read 45177 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You say they couldn't really upgrade at this point in the offseason, which is absolutely correct. But you have it backwards in that this is a reason why the Mookie deal makes sense.

The reason they didn't upgrade is that the offseason priority was dumping salary and trading Mookie. Their entire offseason was structured around cutting payroll and they were looking to find the best Mookie trade they could to cut said payroll. They probably spent more time arguing around the salary they'd kick in for Price than prospects.

They were literally hoping that one of their best players would decline his option and become a FA so they wouldn't have to pay him on a one year deal. Profits > winning.
In a world where they aren't cost cutting the Sox would have tried to add payroll for a real push at the title. Maybe they go hard after a name. Maybe they get a real closer. Maybe they make a trade to upgrade 1st or 2nd base or LF.

With health, Sale, Price, ERod, Eovaldi might be enough to make them contenders but again, if they started off the offseason in an aggressive to win another mode, they could have added another stud.

Cost cutting was a choice, not a necessity.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The deal, which would send Betts and Price to the Dodgers, outfielder Alex Verdugo and pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol to the Boston Red Sox and starter Kenta Maeda to the Minnesota Twins, was not completed Wednesday after being agreed upon Tuesday night. The Red Sox, sources said, were spooked by a medical review of Graterol, the hard-throwing 21-year-old right-hander who has undergone Tommy John surgery and missed time in 2019 because of a shoulder injury.

Alternative options to complete a deal exist, according to sources. The players involved could be amended, as could the amount of money Boston is sending to Los Angeles to cover a portion of the $96 million still owed Price. The Dodgers and Red Sox could theoretically opt for a two-team deal or involve a different third team; Graterol is currently with the Twins.

Here's what's next for Red Sox after trading Betts, Price
The likelihood of the trade of Betts to the Dodgers blowing up altogether, sources said, is slim, as medical-related impasses are typically worked around. Although the negative reaction in Boston to trading Betts, a homegrown franchise player, was loud and abundant, it was not a driving force behind the holdup, sources said. Boston simply wants to ensure that it receives a commensurate return for the 27-year-old right fielder...

Graterol failed his physical, but no worries, because this is a potential chance to save a little more money. Full speed ahead!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Again the prospects don't matter as much as the money.

Boston Royals! I wonder if they'll make it an annual thing of selling their best player to LA, similar to what the Royals used to do for the Yankees.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The deal, which would send Betts and Price to the Dodgers, outfielder Alex Verdugo and pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol to the Boston Red Sox and starter Kenta Maeda to the Minnesota Twins, was not completed Wednesday after being agreed upon Tuesday night. The Red Sox, sources said, were spooked by a medical review of Graterol, the hard-throwing 21-year-old right-hander who has undergone Tommy John surgery and missed time in 2019 because of a shoulder injury.

Alternative options to complete a deal exist, according to sources. The players involved could be amended, as could the amount of money Boston is sending to Los Angeles to cover a portion of the $96 million still owed Price. The Dodgers and Red Sox could theoretically opt for a two-team deal or involve a different third team; Graterol is currently with the Twins.

Here's what's next for Red Sox after trading Betts, Price
The likelihood of the trade of Betts to the Dodgers blowing up altogether, sources said, is slim, as medical-related impasses are typically worked around. Although the negative reaction in Boston to trading Betts, a homegrown franchise player, was loud and abundant, it was not a driving force behind the holdup, sources said. Boston simply wants to ensure that it receives a commensurate return for the 27-year-old right fielder...

Graterol failed his physical, but no worries, because this is a potential chance to save a little more money. Full speed ahead!

Or better yet, as they put it:

Red Sox might ask for an additional player and/or money to bridge the gap, though it is unclear whether the player would come from the Twins or Dodgers, sources said."

I still like Verdugo + Graterol but my only issue was that was the only players we got back (no one else). Come on guys, it doesn't have to be another top prospect per say, but get back 1-2 more solid prospects/players
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Lol yep, OTM (Over The Monster) is selling them

Unfortunately I can't purchase one because then I'd be over the luxury tax myself :laugh: :P

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Ringer's baseball podcast points out that Mookie is already top 10 in WAR all time for the Red Sox at age 27. And that he's been the best Red Sox player since Ted Williams.

>:(

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Boston Royals! I wonder if they'll make it an annual thing of selling their best player to LA, similar to what the Royals used to do for the Yankees.

Or like I was saying somewhere yesterday, is Boston becoming another Oakland? Grooming good young prospects but then shipping them off to big-market teams once they get pricey? Or, put another way, becoming a quadruple-A team (a major-league team that essentially functions as a minor-league feeder team for big-market clubs)?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Or like I was saying somewhere yesterday, is Boston becoming another Oakland? Grooming good young prospects but then shipping them off to big-market teams once they get pricey? Or, put another way, becoming a quadruple-A team (a major-league team that essentially functions as a minor-league feeder team for big-market clubs)?
TP, same thought different eras as a reference point.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

What on earth?? So many other cities wish they they had the spending capabilities of the Red Sox. We have won 4 WS since 2004 and have re-tooled between each of them. We have also been near the top of the league in spending each year.

I get that people are upset that we traded Mookie, but these are rich person problems. Imagine what Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Seattle, etc (never mind OAK) fans would think of a statement like the above.

We may not win another WS for a long time, and if not, that will be a bummer. But we do have 4 recent WS to look back on and an ownership group that is so much better than what was previously here. It's possible Mookie just isn't valued as high (as he thinks he is) by management.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Looks like this saga isn't over folks. MIN might pull out of the trade since Boston apparently were "spooked" by Graterol's medicals and want more. MIN will understandably not give up more than Graterol for Maeda only.

And I’ve always wondered how on earth LAD was able to acquire just half of Price’s deal + Betts for just Verdugo and Maeda basically. Sox have a chance to make amends here.

Up to the Dodgers I imagine to sweeten this deal. Or the unthinkable happens and this deal is broken entirely, with maybe LAD-BOS just trying to work out a deal between the two sides.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Looks like this saga isn't over folks. MIN might pull out of the trade since Boston apparently were "spooked" by Graterol's medicals and want more. MIN will understandably not give up more than Graterol for Maeda only.

And I’ve always wondered how on earth LAD was able to acquire just half of Price’s deal + Betts for just Verdugo and Maeda basically. Sox have a chance to make amends here.

Up to the Dodgers I imagine to sweeten this deal. Or the unthinkable happens and this deal is broken entirely, with maybe LAD-BOS just trying to work out a deal between the two sides.

We can all pray.  Blow it up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Finalized.

Mookie Betts is finally going to Los Angeles. Sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan that a deal has been agreed upon to send the 2018 MVP to the Los Angeles Dodgers for a package that includes outfielder Alex Verdugo, shortstop Jeter Downs and catcher Connor Wong going to the Boston Red Sox.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Finalized.

Mookie Betts is finally going to Los Angeles. Sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan that a deal has been agreed upon to send the 2018 MVP to the Los Angeles Dodgers for a package that includes outfielder Alex Verdugo, shortstop Jeter Downs and catcher Connor Wong going to the Boston Red Sox.
Unreal. These two prospects are about as average as average gets. There is nothing special about either.

So former MVP, 4 time All-Star, 4 time Gold Glover, 3 time Silver Slugger and World Champion at 27 years old

Plus

A former Cy Young, five time All-Star, a pitcher with a 150-80 overall record and a World Champion

Plus

$50 million

For one good prospect and two average ones, all three with very limited upside.

Nice job Sox.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Finalized.

Unreal. These two prospects are about as average as average gets. There is nothing special about either.

So former MVP, 4 time All-Star, 4 time Gold Glover, 3 time Silver Slugger and World Champion at 27 years old

Plus

A former Cy Young, five time All-Star, a pitcher with a 150-80 overall record and a World Champion

Plus

$50 million

For one good prospect and two average ones, all three with very limited upside.

Nice job Sox.

Jeter Downs has some upside, but yeah, he’s somewhere between 5th and 8th in the Dodgers farm system.  The Sox just raised ticket prices while greatly diminishing the product.

It’s ridiculous. When we traded for Josh Beckett, we had to take on a bad contract and gave up Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez.  He had what, one extra year on his contract?  Or was he also in his last year of arbitration?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:54:06 PM by Roy H. »