Author Topic: Draft trade up.?  (Read 7904 times)

Draft trade up.?
« on: August 23, 2020, 08:27:10 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
With so many questions and uncertainty in the first round who is the player at pick 8 you would trade 14 and 26 for?

I feel Wiseman, Toppin, Okongwu, or Okoro are guys you have to go after if there.

Re: Draft trade up.?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 08:44:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
With so many questions and uncertainty in the first round who is the player at pick 8 you would trade 14 and 26 for?

I feel Wiseman, Toppin, Okongwu, or Okoro are guys you have to go after if there.

Not sure I agree or believe it but on Sam Vecenie’s podcast John Hollinger ( whose opinion I respect) thought 7 for 14,26,and 30 could make sense for both teams. His point was that a team like Detroit needs to bring in young talent and more picks gives them more swings to hit on a player.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 09:05:45 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

Not sure I agree or believe it but on Sam Vecenie’s podcast John Hollinger ( whose opinion I respect) thought 7 for 14,26,and 30 could make sense for both teams. His point was that a team like Detroit needs to bring in young talent and more picks gives them more swings to hit on a player.

Detroit May be interesting actually. I was trying to think of a team who would benefit from a bunch of young players and they definitely fit the bill. C’s will have too many young players man, I hope we can package them or the draft picks to make some bigger moves. I really want to entice the 76ers for Embiid some how some way.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 09:08:30 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Maybe danny should target Memphis as a trade partner ??
They need draft picks now after missing out on the actual playoffs. We need to clean roster spots and preserve draft capital..
How about 26+30+Poirer + Carsten for future lottery protected pick? Works for both teams

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 09:13:51 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
They need draft picks now after missing out on the actual playoffs. We need to clean roster spots and preserve draft capital..
How about 26+30+Poirer + Carsten for future lottery protected pick? Works for both teams
If it's protected than you can't give up two first.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 09:53:41 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
It all depends on how much utility Danny sees in the 26 and 30 pick... he usually sees value in making the selections and controlling young and unproven players contracts for several years.
This draft is different though. There is a lot of unknowns .. teams scouted players somewhat during the season but March madness didn’t happen so maybe most teams evaluations are incomplete and their draft boards are fluid. Another problem will be meeting the players for workouts or their coaches.. this year this process will be much more cumbersome than years before.
It’s possible that good players fall or are rated lower by all teams because of all those reasons above..
On the other hand : Carsen plus Poirer use up $4M of cap space plus $5M of tax if you cut them you are already $9M in the red for next season. On top of that the 26 and 30 picks are guaranteed $9M this and next season combined .. add luxury tax and you are looking at $20M in the red for players that most likely stay in Maine and not contribute.
So approximately $30 mill in sunk costs vs future draft pick(s) that can be used in trades.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:02:05 AM by NKY fan »

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
The more I think about it the more I’m convincing myself that this is the year to make multiple draft selections in the 10-30 draft range.. danny hasn’t been on point the last few years but this time he has 3 chances to swing for the fences and draft the next Giannis, butler or Gobert ..
There will be some roster crunch so we will have to move Carsen and Poirer and waive Green and waters

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 12:12:07 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Memphis is a great target for a 26 or 30 + Porier for #40. This clears up some of the Cs cap/roster issues and the talent drop from 26/30 to isn’t to drastic.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 12:19:03 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Detroit May be interesting actually. I was trying to think of a team who would benefit from a bunch of young players and they definitely fit the bill. C’s will have too many young players man, I hope we can package them or the draft picks to make some bigger moves. I really want to entice the 76ers for Embiid some how some way.

I question if Detroit would want all 3 picks this year. An alternative idea if one of Okongwu, Hayes, Wiseman, or maybe Advija are available at 7 would be. #14,30, R Williams, Porier, and the Cs 2021 pick for #7 and either Kennard (not likely bust worth a shot) or their 2021 2nd.

Then if the Cs draft Hayes at 7 they should be able to add depth at Center late in the first by targeting Tillman, Nnaji, Azubuike, or Stewart. If they go big at 7 they can wait and hope for Maledon, Bolmaro, or Terry to be available in the late 1st.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 12:35:44 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Memphis is a great target for a 26 or 30 + Porier for #40. This clears up some of the Cs cap/roster issues and the talent drop from 26/30 to isn’t to drastic.
How about Minnesota?
Trade 14+47+Poirer + Carsen for 17 + 33
Danny gets to bat 4 times in the 17-33 range... he can finally strike gold there.
We keep our starters plus smart , keep Kanter and wannamaker on team friendly deals and the rest of the minutes go to the guys that are earning them now- Romeo , timelord and Grant.
Danny drafted his role players last year(s) now he can try and draft the next hidden superstar ...
If the 4 new guys don’t look super promising he can trade them for veterans at the deadline

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
So I have a trade idea to trade it. As a diehard Celtics fan it’s hard to not be accidentally bias, so did I do a good job with this? Be brutally honest.

https://tradenba.com/trades/yGhlx2KsK

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 02:00:30 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
So I have a trade idea to trade it. As a diehard Celtics fan it’s hard to not be accidentally bias, so did I do a good job with this? Be brutally honest.

https://tradenba.com/trades/yGhlx2KsK
Heavily biased in our favor and..
Sixers and Memphis get screwed and won’t do it. I think you’d need to add prime picks going to Philadelphia and a prime pick goign to Memphis.. we don’t have those prime draft assets anymore so it looks unrealistic to me

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 02:29:02 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The 14+26 probably gets you to like 10, and then add the 30th and maybe you can get to like the 7th or 8th.But thats tough, it requires some team who wants 3 rookies and isnt in love with someone at their spot. Thats why Detroit makes some sense, that roster is so barren that maybe they'd rather just take three swings. Of course that assumes that the Celtics like someone in that range.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 03:40:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
It all depends on how much utility Danny sees in the 26 and 30 pick... he usually sees value in making the selections and controlling young and unproven players contracts for several years.
This draft is different though. There is a lot of unknowns .. teams scouted players somewhat during the season but March madness didn’t happen so maybe most teams evaluations are incomplete and their draft boards are fluid. Another problem will be meeting the players for workouts or their coaches.. this year this process will be much more cumbersome than years before.
It’s possible that good players fall or are rated lower by all teams because of all those reasons above..
On the other hand : Carsen plus Poirer use up $4M of cap space plus $5M of tax if you cut them you are already $9M in the red for next season. On top of that the 26 and 30 picks are guaranteed $9M this and next season combined .. add luxury tax and you are looking at $20M in the red for players that most likely stay in Maine and not contribute.
So approximately $30 mill in sunk costs vs future draft pick(s) that can be used in trades.
It's an overpay both players you want to move are young and low cost. Then the picks have untold potential as well. You will find teams willing to take them on if you want to move them for 2nd rounders. C's could move them for 2nds and still score future first for current first. You don't give up two first or any first to move 5 million. That is terrible basketball and business moves.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 03:49:04 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
It's an overpay both players you want to move are young and low cost. Then the picks have untold potential as well. You will find teams willing to take them on if you want to move them for 2nd rounders. C's could move them for 2nds and still score future first for current first. You don't give up two first or any first to move 5 million. That is terrible basketball and business moves.
Well I assumed that the Lottery protected pick we are getting From Memphis will end up 15-16 in 2021 or 2022.