Author Topic: UH-OH. Smart Being Shopped?  (Read 19560 times)

Re: Marcus Smart is as good as gone, Celtics called 5 teams about Smart
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Out of him, Crowder and Bradley, I would prefer to keep Marcus. Wish we could sign him to a reasonable contract extension like Bradley/Crowder, but I know with the new cba and cap I'm dreaming. Still, I wish we could keep him. He should be part of the youth movement

I would want to keep Smart, but im telling you he is going to want big money as well.

It all depends on what the Celtics value more. I think they value Bradley more even if they gotta pay him. Smart on the other hand probably will get some good money but not sure if the Celtics think he is good anyway.

Smart will cost significantly less than AB next year. I think Smart could max out with a decent team at like $15M tops, but AB will get $20+M pretty easily I think. That's why it has to be one or both of AB or Crowder, preferably AB due to Crowder's contract, as long as he's not a locker room problem with Hayward here now and him more than likely coming off the bench.

Re: UH-OH. Smart Being Shopped?
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I can live with either Smart or Crowder going out in a deal. Bradley seems like the most valuable piece of the three for our team this year. Most polished defender and best shooter. Smart could end up being the better player down the road, but I doubt he ever becomes a player that we truly regret trading.

Agree 100%.

- From a salary / contract perspective, Bradley is the first guy you'd move.
- From a wins / team success perspective, Bradley is the last guy you'd move.

Beyond Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford (obviously), Avery Bradley was by far our most consistently impactful player in the playoffs this year.  He consistently helped to carry the team gave us a consistent scoring threat that helped take the pressure off Thomas, he played some huge defense

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Smart aint going anywhere. It will be Bradley that goes.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2017, 11:56:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Out of him, Crowder and Bradley, I would prefer to keep Marcus. Wish we could sign him to a reasonable contract extension like Bradley/Crowder, but I know with the new cba and cap I'm dreaming. Still, I wish we could keep him. He should be part of the youth movement

If I had to keep one of those three, it would be Bradley. 

He is the most likely to be a game changer in the playoffs (proved that this year) and is a locker-room leader who excels at frustrating opponent guards on defense while also being very capable of dominating in streaks on offense.

And he's the only one of those three guys who has gotten better every year he's been in the league.

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2017, 12:04:04 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211

If I had to keep one of those three, it would be Bradley. 

He is the most likely to be a game changer in the playoffs (proved that this year) and is a locker-room leader who excels at frustrating opponent guards on defense while also being very capable of dominating in streaks on offense.

And he's the only one of those three guys who has gotten better every year he's been in the league.

AB for me is the better fit with what the team will likely be. Smart is surplus as a PG if you keep Rozier and he isn't a reliable SG. He has the ability to play other positions but not the ones where the team needs help, unless he can grow a few inches.

If it comes down to AB or Smart, AB has greater upside for me.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Do you think Utah loses Hayward if they pick Marcus instead of Dante Exum?

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I can live with either Smart or Crowder going out in a deal. Bradley seems like the most valuable piece of the three for our team this year. Most polished defender and best shooter. Smart could end up being the better player down the road, but I doubt he ever becomes a player that we truly regret trading.

Agree 100%.

Beyond Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford (obviously), Avery Bradley was by far our most consistently impactful player in the playoffs this year.  He consistently helped to carry the team gave us a consistent scoring threat that helped take the pressure off Thomas, he played some huge defense

It's about the best long term piece though. Bradley is someone who will not be a Celtic next season because of his contract. He'll be paid at least 20 million x 4 years (at least-more like 4 years x 24 million consdiering George Hill just got that monster deal!). We can't afford that with Gordy now.

Smart is the cheapest, Crowder has 2 years on exceptional deal.
Those 2 are more likely to stay with Smart getting something like 4x 15 million next off season and Crowder leaving as FA in 2019.
We need those cheap contracts for as long as we can keep them.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2017, 12:56:06 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I would want to keep Smart, but im telling you he is going to want big money as well.

It all depends on what the Celtics value more. I think they value Bradley more even if they gotta pay him. Smart on the other hand probably will get some good money but not sure if the Celtics think he is good anyway.

Smart will cost significantly less than AB next year. I think Smart could max out with a decent team at like $15M tops, but AB will get $20+M pretty easily I think. That's why it has to be one or both of AB or Crowder, preferably AB due to Crowder's contract, as long as he's not a locker room problem with Hayward here now and him more than likely coming off the bench.

Ya looking around I'm actually not sure Smart is gonna get anywhere near 15million. He's a great defensive player at perhaps the least important defensive position in the NBA (guard). He's a historically bad shooter in an NBA that values shooting a lot. He's restricted which lowers his value more since teams aren't willing to commit cap space for the 48 wait period. And on top of all that the cap is flattening out and the spending of the last two summers has largely dried up cap space.

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2017, 12:59:41 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I'd rather Bradley be traded. Not only is he the most likely to command the most next year, he's also the player that offers the least positional flexibility (he can really only play the 2).

Not to mention his injury history would be a concern

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Do you think Utah loses Hayward if they pick Marcus instead of Dante Exum?

Not when the Celtics still have Brad Stevens.

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2017, 01:29:42 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Ya this is a hard one. One of Smart, Bradley and Crowder need to be traded, from a pure salary dump perspective Smart makes the most sense as Bradley is our starting 2 and Crowder is on a value contract. However, Bradley may make the most sense long term as we probably aren't brining him back after the year if we are bringing back Isaiah. He has the least position versatility of the three. He is injured often. His salary is the largest and so its possible we could bring back a guy making a decent salary (up to about 6 million) such as a back up big. And we have a guy in Jaylen Brown who might be able to replace him soon.

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2017, 02:10:45 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Agree 100%.

It's about the best long term piece though. Bradley is someone who will not be a Celtic next season because of his contract. He'll be paid at least 20 million x 4 years (at least-more like 4 years x 24 million consdiering George Hill just got that monster deal!). We can't afford that with Gordy now.

Those 2 are more likely to stay with Smart getting something like 4x 15 million next off season and Crowder leaving as FA in 2019.

Contract wise, that makes sense.  But Danny may decide he'll keep Bradley whatever the cost - we just don't know what's in his head.

Paying $20M for Bradley?  That doesn't sound too bad for a guy who paid $8M for Zeller and $12M for Amir Johnson. 

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2017, 02:22:15 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Agree 100%.

Good points above, but those contracts that make Smart and especially Crowder valuable to us also give them value to other teams, and thus a greater return in a trade.  I'm assuming Danny is shopping all 3 to see what the potential returns might be.

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2017, 09:57:20 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think 1 of Smart/Crowder/Bradley has to be traded.  I'd bet Danny is determining the value of each then trades the 1 with the priorities:
1.  dump salary to sign Hayward
2.  be able to get the best value (picks or players) in return.  I'd say picks most likely.

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Marcus Smart documentary on CSNNE right now (narrated by Mike Gorman).

Man, I would be pretty bummed if we gave up Smart for salary space. Hayward has to know that $300K (if trading Rozier/Jackson) isn't worth losing a guy like Smart.