Author Topic: RIP Sports Illustrated?  (Read 8020 times)

Re: RIP Sports Illustrated?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 08:56:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
 :-\ RIP. Swimsuit issue

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2024, 10:54:01 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
The writing was on the wall once they decided to use bots to write their articles.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2024, 01:09:55 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I was a 20+ year subscriber and have saved some classic issues (1969 NBA finals, John Havlicek and the Miracle Celtics on the cover).

I finally cancelled in the 90's when their political viewpoints became more important to them than actual sports coverage.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2024, 03:08:11 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Putting dudes in a bikini along with Megan Rapino on their covers might have turned off a good number of subs.

Just a guess
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2024, 08:00:36 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Putting dudes in a bikini along with Megan Rapino on their covers might have turned off a good number of subs.

Just a guess

The industry has been going downhill long before that. If anything, that is a desperate way to stay relevant.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2024, 09:29:56 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I grew up obsessing over boxscores in my local newspaper

This is the thing I miss the most, and that I think technology has actually made worse.

You could soak in 10-15 games worth of box scores with a simple scan of the page.  High level, you could see everything you wanted in seconds.

But now, the amount of clicking, loading, scrolling, clicking back, loading, etc I have to do now to see all the stats from a day is an unenjoyable chore.

I miss newspaper box scores.

That is quite tedious, indeed.

Or the weekend with the expanded team and league stats…oooh baby.

Actually the USA Today Tuesday expanded team stats were very much an anticipated thing for me.  I used to keep my rotisserie league stats by hand and those were my lifeline.
Yup

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2024, 10:27:29 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

Just a guess

The industry has been going downhill long before that. If anything, that is a desperate way to stay relevant.

I do t disagree with you on that, but they pretty much made it almost impossible to recover. I mean if playboy can still find a way to make it, SI should. You have to evolve and not pander to people who don't read your mag to begin with.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2024, 10:47:18 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Just a guess

Eh, overly sensitive guys that claim to have quit watching the NFL because of Kap aren't killing the NFL. In fact, its still a very popular product.

Sports Illustrated has an old business model, and their website isn't great. This is an example of an economic shift and not the end result of politically charged cancellations.

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2024, 03:15:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I grew up obsessing over boxscores in my local newspaper

This is the thing I miss the most, and that I think technology has actually made worse.

You could soak in 10-15 games worth of box scores with a simple scan of the page.  High level, you could see everything you wanted in seconds.

But now, the amount of clicking, loading, scrolling, clicking back, loading, etc I have to do now to see all the stats from a day is an unenjoyable chore.

I miss newspaper box scores.

That is quite tedious, indeed.

Or the weekend with the expanded team and league stats…oooh baby.

Actually the USA Today Tuesday expanded team stats were very much an anticipated thing for me.  I used to keep my rotisserie league stats by hand and those were my lifeline.

Oh, I forgot about those! But you're right, our Sunday paper had expanded stats too, and those were fun.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis