Author Topic: Danny Ainge may target a rim protecting big  (Read 12633 times)

Re: Danny Ainge may target a rim protecting big
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »

fitzhickey

I would argue that Bass and Humphreys are both FAR better players than Asik. 

Asik is just a really, really bad player.  His only real upside is that he is a very good rebounder...but so is Hump.  IIRC both Bass and Hump have blocked more shots (per 36 minutes) than Asik has this season, so the whole 'reputation as a rim protector' think really perplexes me with Asik.

Plus Hump and Bass are obviously both infinitely better on offense.

Given the choice of Hump vs Asik at the same price, I'd take Hump any day. He's more skilled, he plays harder and he has a better attitude.

To lump Humphries and Asik together as "very good" rebounders is to understate how good Asik is.  Humphries is a good rebounder, but the gap in rebounding ability between Asik and Humphries is still significant.

Shot blocking isn't the only aspect of rim protection.  Because it shows up in the box score and is easily quantifiable with highlight reel examples, it gets overrated in the same way that steals can be overrated as a measure of defense.

Asik is a good enough defender that I wouldn't see a problem with someone claiming that Asik is the best defensive player on the Rockets roster.

He is an elite rebounder who is capable of leading the league in rebounds.  He is an elite defender who is capable of winning Defensive Player of the Year (if you let him anchor the defense on a high-profile contender).
I don't think Asik is the best defender on Houston. IMO both dwight and p-bev are better

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 10:48:27 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Why?

I would argue that Bass and Humphreys are both FAR better players than Asik

Asik is just a really, really bad player.  His only real upside is that he is a very good rebounder...but so is Hump.  IIRC both Bass and Hump have blocked more shots (per 36 minutes) than Asik has this season, so the whole 'reputation as a rim protector' think really perplexes me with Asik.

Given the choice of Hump vs Asik at the same price, I'd take Hump any day. He's more skilled, he plays harder and he has a better attitude.

I would argue that rim protection, in general, perplexes you. Building your argument on an uninformed opinion and Blocks per 36, is equal to building on quick sand...

What I highlighted in bold is opinion... The only factual evidence you provided was Blocks per 36, a stat that I will expose as a misleading barometer for rim protection.

Mark Gasol (2013 DPOY and recognized as one of the best rim protectors in the NBA) is 71st in Blocks per 36. Joakim Noah, this year's leading DPOY candidate and a perennial candidate if he weren't so injury prone, is 67th...

How are they considered top defensive players, rim protectors, and anchoring 2 of the best defenses in the NBA despite there being 60+ players that are higher ranked than them in Blk per 36?

Answer that question, compare Asik's defense to them, how well Omer did in extended minutes despite playing in one of the fastest paced offenses, and you'll reconsider your argument.

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 07:32:48 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Why?

I would argue that Bass and Humphreys are both FAR better players than Asik

I would argue that rim protection, in general, perplexes you. Building your argument on an uninformed opinion and Blocks per 36, is equal to building on quick sand...

What I highlighted in bold is opinion... The only factual evidence you provided was Blocks per 36, a stat that I will expose as a misleading barometer for rim protection.

Mark Gasol (2013 DPOY and recognized as one of the best rim protectors in the NBA) is 71st in Blocks per 36. Joakim Noah, this year's leading DPOY candidate and a perennial candidate if he weren't so injury prone, is 67th...

How are they considered top defensive players, rim protectors, and anchoring 2 of the best defenses in the NBA despite there being 60+ players that are higher ranked than them in Blk per 36?

Answer that question, compare Asik's defense to them, how well Omer did in extended minutes despite playing in one of the fastest paced offenses, and you'll reconsider your argument.

x2 I agree

Bass and Humph are both likly better offensive players than Asik and Humph may be on pare as a rebounder but neither offer the team defense that Asik brings to the court.

Some stats to prove this

This year the top rim protectors based on FG% at rim on stats.nba.com who have played over 20min and 40 games. Also factoring .5 blk per game to cut out the wing outliers.

1. Hibbert at  41.6%
2. R Lopez at 42.7%
3. Ibaka at 43.7%

Im having trouble finding the Chart is old stats (still figuring out nb.com advanced stats) but searching online Asik FG% at rim last year as starting center for the rockets was 43.2%. This would make him the 3rd best this year. He averaged 10pt and 11.7RB that year.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet