Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?  (Read 55527 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2013, 10:58:37 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
To me there is no reason not to believe the Lakers are shopping Dwight. That whole team clearly just does not fit together, but couldn't they get a more sure-fire haul than a PG who is going to be coming off ACL surgery with no 100% guarentee of being the same player when he comes back, and there's also no guarentee he'll be back right at the beginning of next season.

The Lakers are gonna want young talent going forward, but they also are in a position to maximize Kobe's last years. They are taking a huge risk trading for a guy coming off an ACL tear. It just seems crazy for the Lakers to do.

The more I think about it for the Celtics, the more I'd come to accept it despite my pure hatred for Dwight Howard because it makes sense. The pairing of KG and Dwight down low would be scary for other teams.

I think I'd even do the deal without Dwight accepting an extension. If he didn't. You hope KG and Pierce retire as Celtics in the offseason or trade them and let the draft lottery rebuilding begin.

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Folks think this way...
Cs without Rondo are playnig better, and getting better score. Can you imagine, if Cs will add Howard, HOW STRONG THIS TEAM WILL BE?

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Dwight Howard sucks.  End of rumor.

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
NOOOOOOOOOOO way.....Howard is a bust....he had all that great training from olajuwan...or Ewing....and look at him....can only dunk...big deal, he is 7 feet....he adds very little....look at that team WITH him now...and you want to give one of THE BEST PG's in the league to the LAKERS.....you've GOT to be KIDDING...just sign kenyon martin and west...that will be good enough.....Howard is no improvement at all....and most of you that are FOR it...said all along you wanted KG at center.....waffling again are ya.....some of us remember....

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
NOOOOOOOOOOO way.....Howard is a bust....he had all that great training from olajuwan...or Ewing....and look at him....can only dunk...big deal, he is 7 feet....he adds very little....look at that team WITH him now...and you want to give one of THE BEST PG's in the league to the LAKERS.....you've GOT to be KIDDING...just sign kenyon martin and west...that will be good enough.....Howard is no improvement at all....and most of you that are FOR it...said all along you wanted KG at center.....waffling again are ya.....some of us remember....

You can make the same argument about the Celtics WITH Rondo, and how they're performing WITHOUT Rondo...

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Lol i'd do that trade with or without an assurance that Dwight would re-sign.  Dwight is a franchise player... top 5... the best big man in the game.  Absolutely a player you can build a contender around.  Rondo is an allstar point guard (top 5 point guard), who is injured for at least a year... and isn't someone you can really build a team around.

I'd roll the dice.  Best case scenario, Dwight gets healthy enough to win us a title this year.  Worst case scenario, he bails on us, KG and Pierce retire and we start the rebuild off in grand style... cap space and lotto dreams.

I see very little reason for the Lakers to do this, though.  They would be insane to trade a top 5 player for a guy who is injured.

Top 5? Not even close.

Have you seen this dude this year?

Are you aware how bad his injury was for a man of his profession at his size with his limited skill set? For a guy so dependent on athleticism it's bad.

But this is a rare case with Rondo's skill set and his injury also. It's a perfect storm for Boston to take this risk.

Seriously though. You will never see the Dwight of Orlando again. Maybe he can be that effective but his below the rim game will be a huge part of it and thus it will be in a different way.

And yet he's scoring 16.3 points a game (5th among centers) at a 57.8 FG% rate (career average levels, and 4th in the league) and grabbing 11.8 rebounds a game (league leader), while blocking 2.3 times a game (5th in the league). Give me a list of centers that have a similar stat line.

It is amazing, but is it top five in the NBA and can you build around it?

Don't think so.

However with the acquisition, you might be able to steal a title this year. Plus it might only cost you by moving a guy, who might be seriously compromised with his own serious injury, and a bad contract in Bass.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »

Offline daveh51292

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
In the most construed analogy I can come up with, when it comes to D12, I find that we often act akin to an insecure boy who states that the hottest girl in the class is "really only a 2, she's not that pretty!" but upon learning we have a chance with her, infatuated puppies we become.

Ok I'm done.

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2013, 11:05:48 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
In the most construed analogy I can come up with, when it comes to D12, I find that we often act akin to an insecure boy who states that the hottest girl in the class is "really only a 2, she's not that pretty!" but upon learning we have a chance with her, infatuated puppies we become.

Ok I'm done.

Nicely done! But many here always thought Dwight was hot...er...you know what I mean.

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Ok I'm done.

TP

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2013, 11:07:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Ok I'm done.
I can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

That said, in some magical land where we could land him for our broken point guard who even when he was healthy couldn't fetch chronically injured Steph Curry or 32 year old Pau Gasol... sign me up twice.

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2013, 11:15:22 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......

You can make the same argument about the Celtics WITH Rondo, and how they're performing WITHOUT Rondo...
you probably need to add more to make sense...to me anyway.....i do not care for dwight....he has added little to the lakers...rondo adds much more...in the recent past...and the things some do not like about him now, again come back to this person who is supposed to be a COACH...the coach runs the team...i coach/player and i run how it gets done....my pg doesn't walk the ball up, or hold onto it too long....rondo leads the league in assists...or did.....his shot improved, he cuts slashes, scores..REBOUNDS...he was our #1 rebounder for the longest time.....remember any of this...??? WHO runs with rondo....no one....the last person that did was TA....and bradley....it was just going to get good....rondo and brad together was the thing we needed....but did doc use them together much...nooooo..howard is a ball hog, and does little if he doesn't get it.

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2013, 11:16:54 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Lol if Howard and Bass don't play on Wednesday...  :D

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
"Mitch Kupchak strongly denied the trade report in comments to ESPN's Chris Broussard.

'I haven't talked to Danny Ainge in weeks' Kupchak said. 'I made the statement a week or 2 ago that we're not going to trade Dwight Howard and that hasn't changed.'

Kupchak also said that he hasn't spoken with anyone else within the Celtics' organization."

Forget it guys. Move on.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

That said, in some magical land where we could land him for our broken point guard who even when he was healthy couldn't fetch chronically injured Steph Curry or 32 year old Pau Gasol... sign me up twice.

Ouch.

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2013, 11:31:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

Ouch.
If you believe the several rumors, that's how they reported it.  Warriors turned us down and the Lakers turned us down... obviously the Hornets didn't want Rondo for Chris Paul either... and FYI, it's now coming out that the Lakers and Celtics may have indeed talked... a few weeks ago when Rondo was still healthy.  I bet the Celtics initiated it and it got shot down.

There's absolutely no way the Lakers would give up the best big in the league for a point guard who is injured for a year.