Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 415354 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Even though I have now read the books (I hadn't before I watched season 1), I still really like this show.  It is just done so well. 

I agree.  Without spoiling, after reading the books I was VERY curious as to how they were going to portray on film the...event that closed last night's show.  I thought the show did the book scene justice.

My wife, on the other hand, having not read the books, had a different reaction.  Along the lines of "WHAT THE *##!!! WAS THAT?"
Yep.  I didn't remember the Robb Stark battle sequence from the book at all.  It may have happened and I just forgot (although my wife didn't remember it either), but I think the show actually added that whole scene in, and I thought it was pretty well done.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2012, 03:05:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
A chapter from book 6 was released on Martin's web-site.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

Thanks.  Don't want to read it yet though!

Any word on when the new book will be out?   Seems like he's on a roll now.

Or when the 2nd season starts?

He has apparently written about 200 pages of the 6th book and when the paperback of book 5 comes out he will have a different chapter than the one he posted online from it. 

Apparently he is still planning on only having 7 books, so if he keeps up his present pace, he should have the series done in 5 or 6 years, which would mean that season 7 of the show would align pretty close with book 7. 

« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Even though I have now read the books (I hadn't before I watched season 1), I still really like this show.  It is just done so well.  

I agree.  Without spoiling, after reading the books I was VERY curious as to how they were going to portray on film the...event that closed last night's show.  I thought the show did the book scene justice.

My wife, on the other hand, having not read the books, had a different reaction.  Along the lines of "WHAT THE *##!!! WAS THAT?"
Yep.  I didn't remember the Robb Stark battle sequence from the book at all.  It may have happened and I just forgot (although my wife didn't remember it either), but I think the show actually added that whole scene in, and I thought it was pretty well done.
I read that the TV show was going to diverge from the books and actual show Rob's western(close to Lannisport) campaign and show his introduction to and relationship with his wife, which the book completely omitted.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:52:50 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
That is what I figured.  I figured that lady last night was his eventual wife.  I will be interested to see if that do that in other areas as well and bring in some more scenes from things that are only referenced in the books.

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2012, 01:29:24 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
man im so wrapped up in this game of thrones

the last ep when how that dude talked to that "lady of the evening"...she was crying and what he said to her and how he said was more pimp than i seen in a long time..this series is gangsta and got me hook since the 1st season 1st ep..

« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2012, 02:00:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm so excited to see what they do with the Blackwater Battle that airs Sunday.  Glad to see they had George RR Martin write the episode since they had to change some stuff for budgetary reasons, but still can't wait for the battle.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/20/game-of-thrones-blackwater/

« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
I'm so excited to see what they do with the Blackwater Battle that airs Sunday.  Glad to see they had George RR Martin write the episode since they had to change some stuff for budgetary reasons, but still can't wait for the battle.

TP Moranis.  I anticipate a fantastic episode Sunday.

« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I'm not gonna lie, i've felt a bit let down this season.  I didn't read the books so i don't know how it's supposed to go at this point, but this whole season has just been a smorgasbord of posturing, threats, and warnings - and not much else.

Sure a few things in Qarth have gone down and the power balances are shifting here and there, but i need a bigtime episode out of this sunday. Like, Walking-Dead-season-finale big.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm not gonna lie, i've felt a bit let down this season.  I didn't read the books so i don't know how it's supposed to go at this point, but this whole season has just been a smorgasbord of posturing, threats, and warnings - and not much else.

Sure a few things in Qarth have gone down and the power balances are shifting here and there, but i need a bigtime episode out of this sunday. Like, Walking-Dead-season-finale big.
If it is anything like the book it will not disappoint.  This also is not the season finale.  The following week is the finale and there should be a few more game changing moments in it (at least if they continue to follow the book fairly closely). 

Book 2 was fairly slow for a large portion so it isn't that surprising the show is a bit slow.  In fact, most of the series is a bit slow and deliberate where not much happens for a couple of hundred pages, and then there is intense action with lots of changes for a hundred pages, and then it repeats itself.  You just don't seem to mind the slow parts in the books, as it is really well down.  An excellent read though the books are very long.

« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187

If it is anything like the book it will not disappoint.  This also is not the season finale.  The following week is the finale and there should be a few more game changing moments in it (at least if they continue to follow the book fairly closely). 

Book 2 was fairly slow for a large portion so it isn't that surprising the show is a bit slow.  In fact, most of the series is a bit slow and deliberate where not much happens for a couple of hundred pages, and then there is intense action with lots of changes for a hundred pages, and then it repeats itself.  You just don't seem to mind the slow parts in the books, as it is really well down.  An excellent read though the books are very long.

I'll chime in, as well, that book 2 (Clash of Kings) was by far the least popular of the first 3 books...Book 1 was considered a huge breath of fresh air, while many felt that book 2 dragged a bit for the very reasons that you name.  But book 3 EXPLODES, so by all means look forward to the finale of this season and then even more to next season...

« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Looks like they plan on breaking up book 3 into two seasons.  I believe that is first book to break 1000 pages in the series and it is widely regarded as the favorite book of the series, so I guess it makes sense.  Also a way to extend the series longer (giving Martin more time to finish the series before they run out of books).  Of course it is really expensive to make so it may not make much financial sense for HBO to keep it around until completion (though its numbers have increased dramatically this season from last season, so that is a good sign).

« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

TP Moranis.  I anticipate a fantastic episode Sunday.
the battle scene certainly tickled the imagination while reading.  Hopefully they spend a decent amount of time on it.
Yup

« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Pretty solid episode and while they changed a lot from the books, they got the basic feel right. 

« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Haven't read the books.  Episode 9 was off the hook.  That was fantastic.  They obviously hoarded all of their HBO budget for that episode... it was like Lord of the Rings out there.

Bit of a spoiler:  I couldn't help myself so I went online to find out if so-and-so dies or if he just ends up with a nasty scar.  Turns out it will be a scar.  Poor guy is going to be stuck in a makeup chair for 3 hours before every shoot for now on.  Bummer.   While researching what the scar may look like (man I hope they don't make it as brutal as the book sounds) I accidentally saw who so-and-so eventually marries.  What the..??  Crazy.  That's not the first time I've accidentally spoiled a key plot point for myself, but thankfully so much happens in this show that I've already forgotten what I've already spoiled for myself.  Lol

« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2012, 06:33:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Haven't read the books.  Episode 9 was off the hook.  That was fantastic.  They obviously hoarded all of their HBO budget for that episode... it was like Lord of the Rings out there.

Bit of a spoiler:  I couldn't help myself so I went online to find out if so-and-so dies or if he just ends up with a nasty scar.  Turns out it will be a scar.  Poor guy is going to be stuck in a makeup chair for 3 hours before every shoot for now on.  Bummer.   While researching what the scar may look like (man I hope they don't make it as brutal as the book sounds) I accidentally saw who so-and-so eventually marries.  What the..??  Crazy.  That's not the first time I've accidentally spoiled a key plot point for myself, but thankfully so much happens in this show that I've already forgotten what I've already spoiled for myself.  Lol
The books really are good.  If you have the time you really should check them out.