Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117030 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2020, 11:42:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Likely not going 14th... but I was predicting Danny could be interested in Scrubb

Chris Grenham: Top JUCO recruit Jay Scrubb made a great impression on the Celtics during their virtual pre-draft meeting, per source. Scrubb was committed to Louisville before opting to stay in the draft this spring. Solid 3-and-D potential with great athleticism. Really intriguing prospect
I'd be happy taking him in the 2nd round

Don't we have enough scrubbs on our bench?

couldn't resist....
This scrubb is the Jay Scrubb though :laugh:
The third Jay!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #256 on: September 19, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Likely not going 14th... but I was predicting Danny could be interested in Scrubb

Chris Grenham: Top JUCO recruit Jay Scrubb made a great impression on the Celtics during their virtual pre-draft meeting, per source. Scrubb was committed to Louisville before opting to stay in the draft this spring. Solid 3-and-D potential with great athleticism. Really intriguing prospect

Don't we have enough scrubbs on our bench?

couldn't resist....
This scrubb is the Jay Scrubb though :laugh:
The third Jay!

Nice!

« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2020, 12:30:00 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Someone talk me into Saddiq Bey, please. That shot looks a little funny.

« Reply #258 on: September 19, 2020, 12:42:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Jvalin is a big fan, but I'll give you my breakdown of him.

Strengths:
  • Defensive versatility: has guarded some of the elite college guards in his career, and is very technically sound - great lateral movement, comfortable switching on the perimeter
  • NBA readiness: Villanova has produced some great players who have gone on to contribute immediately in the NBA - Bey is the next
  • Elite shooting: despite his funky jumpshot, it works. Reminds me a little of how Kevin Martin used to shoot
  • Rapid growth: was a 6'1" HS sophomore, so he has some guard skills
  • Post-up scoring: loves to post-up off the drive as he isn't too athletic

Weaknesses:
  • Not very assertive: has never looked to be a take-over type guy. Not necessarily an issue on our team. Doesn't get to the FT line much
  • Athleticism: he's not unathletic, but he lacks top end explosiveness which makes it hard for him to create his own space
  • Defensive playmaking: he's very risk averse on defence. Great defender, but misses plays because he doesn't like over-committing
  • Age: older than players who compare similarly to him, might limit his potential

« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

he won't be available that late

curious to see where the Celts draft him

« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2020, 07:49:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I've only seen mocks with him being taken in the 2nd round

« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2020, 08:39:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Strengths:
  • Defensive versatility: has guarded some of the elite college guards in his career, and is very technically sound - great lateral movement, comfortable switching on the perimeter
  • NBA readiness: Villanova has produced some great players who have gone on to contribute immediately in the NBA - Bey is the next
  • Elite shooting: despite his funky jumpshot, it works. Reminds me a little of how Kevin Martin used to shoot

Weaknesses:
  • Not very assertive: has never looked to be a take-over type guy. Not necessarily an issue on our team. Doesn't get to the FT line much
  • Athleticism: he's not unathletic, but he lacks top end explosiveness which makes it hard for him to create his own space
  • Defensive playmaking: he's very risk averse on defence. Great defender, but misses plays because he doesn't like over-committing
  • Age: older than players who compare similarly to him, might limit his potential

Thanks. That's a good breakdown. That shot looks a little strange to me but it goes in.

« Reply #262 on: September 20, 2020, 11:26:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

You know with Ainge, we can't really expect conventional when it comes to drafts

Maybe except for James Young,  his picks have been curveballs

Olynyk, Yabusele, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, Al Jefferson, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum to name a few

If Scrubb transfers out to Louisville and excels where would he be chosen in the draft??   So Ainge could take this gamble.

Scrubb highlights.  Handles, mid air adjustments, shots look good. But then again can he do that vs better competition?
https://youtu.be/uJGrfjpkLJU?t=46

« Reply #263 on: September 20, 2020, 04:50:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

You know with Ainge, we can't really expect conventional when it comes to drafts

Olynyk, Yabusele, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, Al Jefferson, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum to name a few

If Scrubb transfers out to Louisville and excels where would he be chosen in the draft??   So Ainge could take this gamble.

Scrubb highlights.  Handles, mid air adjustments, shots look good. But then again can he do that vs better competition?

Danny will be unpredictable. I'd probably pick Bane too high at 14 as I think he'll be gone by 26 but there are lots of good shooters in this draft. We need some 3 and D players off of the bench and we need guys that can play at least low bench minutes as soon as possible.  If we can get to the finals I think Danny drafts more players that are ready to go, older guys that can shoot and defend now.

« Reply #264 on: September 20, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Now, talk me out of Desmond Bane at 14. He looks like a man aginst boys but I guess he kind of is.

« Reply #265 on: September 20, 2020, 06:07:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Danny will be unpredictable. I'd probably pick Bane too high at 14 as I think he'll be gone by 26 but there are lots of good shooters in this draft. We need some 3 and D players off of the bench and we need guys that can play at least low bench minutes as soon as possible.  If we can get to the finals I think Danny drafts more players that are ready to go, older guys that can shoot and defend now.

Has Danny taken a junior or senior college player below 20th pick in the past decade?

If its Bane probably with one of the 20 picks

« Reply #266 on: September 20, 2020, 06:13:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Has Danny taken a junior or senior college player below 20th pick in the past decade?

If Danny can scoop up bane at 26 or 30 I'll be very happy. He plays so high energy, he has spark plug off the bench written all over him.

« Reply #267 on: September 20, 2020, 06:17:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Age is more important than class. Rozier was 21 years old when drafted in 2015 at pick 16. There are plenty of juniors that are 21.

« Reply #268 on: September 20, 2020, 06:41:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

agreed. bane is not discussed much here from what i have seen. but he looks very impressive for a late first rounder. when i first saw his pix his build reminded me of grant williams.  ;D

here is some info on him:

http://www.tankathon.com/players/desmond-bane
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #269 on: September 20, 2020, 07:08:50 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
On NBAdraft.con they have us taking Jalen Smith with the 14th pick. Not being a huge college fan, I had no idea who he was. After doing some research, he seems like a really good prospect. Good rim protector, good rebounder, and a pretty good three point shooter. His problems seem to be a lack of court vision and the need to bulk up. For anyone who watches a lot of college ball, what do you think of Jalen Smith?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum