Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118850 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2020, 12:56:04 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Hopefully we trade all 3 picks for a vet or bench help..tired of all these D-leaguers on the bench who produce nothing
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2020, 02:05:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It's pretty well  known that Danny wanted Herro at 14; Miami took him at 13.  The kid almost singlehandedly won them the game yesterday.

So don't assume we can't find someone in this draft that can't help right away.   Seems deep in high floor players.

« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2020, 02:17:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
It's pretty well  known that Danny wanted Herro at 14; Miami took him at 13.  The kid almost singlehandedly won them the game yesterday.

So don't assume we can't find someone in this draft that can't help right away.   Seems deep in high floor players.

Its easy to say in retrospect, but he should have traded up a few spots for Herro. We had the assets to easily do it. He traded up for Olynyk, he could have done it for Herro.

« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Its easy to say in retrospect, but he should have traded up a few spots for Herro. We had the assets to easily do it. He traded up for Olynyk, he could have done it for Herro.

As I recall, we didn’t have the cap space to trade up and still give Kemba a max contract.  We’re only talking about $0.5 million or so, but things were extremely tight, especially with Theis’ QO.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

As I recall, we didn’t have the cap space to trade up and still give Kemba a max contract.  We’re only talking about $0.5 million or so, but things were extremely tight, especially with Theis’ QO.

That makes sense. It's really too bad, we were in a tight spot cap-wise trying to recover from Kyrie and Horford leaving.

« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2020, 03:26:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Yeah, deep with role players but I bet at least one or two are NBA starters, maybe even a star.

« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
you never know with the nba draft. though you can take educated guesses that the top picks will usually out perform lower picks. but still....

here is a history of the 14th pick in nba draft history.

2019 - romeo langford
2018 -michael porter
2017 - bam adebayo
2016 - denzel valetine
2015 -cameron payne

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/14th-overall/140509/

not much in the way of "star power". but a good number of credible nba players....and a whole bunch of nobodies.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:01:39 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2020, 05:24:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm probably a bit higher on Cole Anthony than everyone else on here. I think his skill set will translate much better than it did in college, where the spacing was awful and perimeter offense (other than Cole Anthony) was severely lacking. I think Anthony has the talent to be a scorer in the NBA, he just needs some guidance to help him put it all together, and I believe Brad is the perfect coach for that.
Anthony terrifies me to be honest. Inefficient, worse passing version of Dennis Smith JR is all I can see when I watch him

He’s literally a small JT in my eyes. He just seems like a player who can get you buckets.
I don't see this at all. Terrible shot-selection, abysmal assist:turnover ratio and he's already had injury concerns. No interest at all. I don't see how he's better than Kira Lewis in any regard
Whats funny is that you might as well be describing predraft Jayson Tatum.
Not really. One is a lengthy wing who averaged 17PPG on splits of 45/34/85 and played 33MPG over 29 games, whereas the other is an athletic-reliant guard who averaged 19PPG on 38/34/75 splits, playing 35MPG over 22 games.

The shot-selection concern is not remotely comparable between the two. Would be like saying Terry Rozier and Jayson Tatum are similar
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
you never know with the nba draft. though you can take educated guesses that the top picks will usually out perform lower picks. but still....

2019 - romeo langford
2018 -michael porter
2017 - bam adebayo
2016 - denzel valetine
2015 -cameron payne

not much in the way of "star power". but a good number of credible nba players....and a whole bunch of nobodies.  ;D

Bam Adebayo is already arguably better and more valuable than Jaylen Brown. And MPJ is playing great with the potential to be an all-star if he can avoid injuries. If Romeo or our pick this year are ever as good as either of these guys (especially Bam), we should consider ourselves incredibly lucky.

« Reply #204 on: September 07, 2020, 05:45:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

2019 - romeo langford
2018 -michael porter
2017 - bam adebayo
2016 - denzel valetine
2015 -cameron payne

Bam Adebayo is already arguably better and more valuable than Jaylen Brown. And MPJ is playing great with the potential to be an all-star if he can avoid injuries. If Romeo or our pick this year are ever as good as either of these guys (especially Bam), we should consider ourselves incredibly lucky.
If we got a Bam level player I'd be over the moon. The 14 pick does seem to have quite a few decent players. Drexler, Stojakovic, Hardaway, Tree Rollins, Hal Greer Majerle, Maurice Taylor (pre-Achilles), Sealy etc. Lots of solid guys at that spot!

Hopefully we get one of them, and not a Shabazz Muhammad / Earl Clark type

« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
2014 TJ Warren is solid too

« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

2019 - romeo langford
2018 -michael porter
2017 - bam adebayo
2016 - denzel valetine
2015 -cameron payne

If we got a Bam level player I'd be over the moon. The 14 pick does seem to have quite a few decent players. Drexler, Stojakovic, Hardaway, Tree Rollins, Hal Greer Majerle, Maurice Taylor (pre-Achilles), Sealy etc. Lots of solid guys at that spot!

How did Drexler slip to 14?  Hard to believe!

« Reply #207 on: September 07, 2020, 06:28:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

2019 - romeo langford
2018 -michael porter
2017 - bam adebayo
2016 - denzel valetine
2015 -cameron payne

How did Drexler slip to 14?  Hard to believe!
1983 is a wild example of a draft. Pick #139 (Sedale Threatt) played more games than picks #1 and #2 combined (Sampson and Stipanovich)

« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
based on potential (like Langford).  Ranked highly before the season started but didn't have the season many expected.  Two players at the top of the list would be RJ Hampton and Cole Anthony.   I wouldn't be surprised if Danny took either at the draft. A few posters in this forum are also fans of these prospects.  Celts could use pg depth next season/protege to succeed Walker eventually

14. RJ Hampton or Cole Anthony
Hampton is longer and is a terror on the open court.  Ability to guard 1 to 3.  Needs to refine half court game.  Anthony is a very good half court/pnr player. Sneaky Athleticism.  Question mark about defensive motor and versatility

26.  Isaiah Stewart or Jalen Smith   
Smith is Theis like. But minus passing skills and not as good motor/physicality.  Smith is a slightly better rebounder and shooter.  Lower body strength and strength overall needs work. But still young.  Isaiah Stewart is one of the strongest players in the draft.  Long wingspan (7'4) and huge hands.  Top end motor with ability to come up with clutch offensive rebounds late in games.   Reminds me of a cross between Tristan Thompson and Derrick Favors.  Makes some silly mistakes/turnovers/overly aggressive offensive fouls.   3 point shot needs work.  But shot 74 percent at the FT last season.   Perimeter defense needs work but unlike Kanter can explode and block jump shots in close proximity.  In terms of pure fit,  Smith would probably be the favorite. 

30. Desmond Bane or Immanuel Quickley or Isaiah Joe or Killian Tillie  (3 and D player.  All are sharpshooters with stats to back it up)
47.  International draft and stash
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 01:12:22 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2020, 02:12:16 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
based on potential (like Langford).  Ranked highly before the season started but didn't have the season many expected.  Two players at the top of the list would be RJ Hampton and Cole Anthony.   I wouldn't be surprised if Danny took either at the draft. A few posters in this forum are also fans of these prospects.  Celts could use pg depth next season/protege to succeed Walker eventually

14. RJ Hampton or Cole Anthony
Hampton is longer and is a terror on the open court.  Ability to guard 1 to 3.  Needs to refine half court game.  Anthony is a very good half court/pnr player. Sneaky Athleticism.  Question mark about defensive motor and versatility

26.  Isaiah Stewart or Jalen Smith   
Smith is Theis like. But minus passing skills and not as good motor/physicality.  Smith is a slightly better rebounder and shooter.  Lower body strength and strength overall needs work. But still young.  Isaiah Stewart is one of the strongest players in the draft.  Long wingspan (7'4) and huge hands.  Top end motor with ability to come up with clutch offensive rebounds late in games.   Reminds me of a cross between Tristan Thompson and Derrick Favors.  Makes some silly mistakes/turnovers/overly aggressive offensive fouls.   3 point shot needs work.  But shot 74 percent at the FT last season.   Perimeter defense needs work but unlike Kanter can explode and block jump shots in close proximity.  In terms of pure fit,  Smith would probably be the favorite. 

30. Desmond Bane or Immanuel Quickley or Isaiah Joe or Killian Tillie  (3 and D player.  All are sharpshooters with stats to back it up)
47.  International draft and stash

I'm in on Anthony or Hampton. Both guys could be really good and it would be ideal to have a player developing for Wanamaker's minutes.

I'm out on Stewart or Smith. Both guys look like end of the bench bigs to me at best. Stewart looks like a worse Kyle O'Quinn. Smith like a Noah Vonleh at best. Both will take several years to reach their end-of-the-bench potential, which means they won't contribute much in the meantime. That's just my scouting report on them. I'd rather draft and stash Bolmaro, or take a swing on a player like Cassius Stanley or Elijah Hughes or Grant Riler. I know that doesn't get us another big like most fans want, but I think there is a lot more talent there that we can get than those guys.

I'm in on your next pick of 3-D player. Pick one. I like Ramsey if he falls. Bane, Bey, Quickley are all other options. I don't like Tillie as much, but I'd be fine with him.

I don't care too much at 47. Draft and stash sounds fine. If a high-level talent dropped, then I'd take them there and see what they can do.