Author Topic: Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor  (Read 4001 times)

Re: Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 01:27:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
sucks that it went so quickly. Knocking him out was really McGregor's only chance at a win.

Hopefully they have a rematch because I'd love to see McGregor handle a world class grappler for a few rounds.

The Rockhold/Weidman fight was awesome.

Yeah. Agree on all points.

Weidman paid for a mistake he made, dearly. And to an extent so did Aldo.

But I want a McGregor vs Aldo rematch. Aldo is the P4P best fighter, and McGregor is as cocky (with results) as it could be. I want that fight to go longer.

McGregor is a very good fighter. Top 4/5 in the world, but he's got severe leaks on the ground which a guy like Aldo will exploit.
McGregor comes across as a Chael Sonnen level Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag, but I don't think he's really like that- it's a mental game and a way to make some serious $$$ from hyping up the fight.

The remtach will be huuugggggeeeee so hopefully it's sooner than later.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 01:28:33 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Hopefully they have a rematch because I'd love to see McGregor handle a world class grappler for a few rounds.

You get knocked out like that, you go to the back of the line.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 01:32:43 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Mike
I think so also.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 01:53:19 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Mike

You'd think so normally, but
1) this was the biggest gate in UFC history, so a rematch could make even more money.
2) When you're the champion, undefeated in 10 years, and arguably best pound for pound fighter in the world, you get a rematch regardless of the method of loss.

From the UFC's perspective there's way more money to be made in an Aldo vs McG part two vs a McGregor vs Edgar fight.

McGregor vs Aldo could be an epic three fight money maker for the UFC.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Mike
I think so also.
If it wasn't 13 seconds I would agree, but the reality is, you have no idea who is the better fighter because the fight was so quick.  I mean if McGregor had been beating him up for a round or two, and then knocked him out like that, a rematch would make a lot less sense (though for the reasons chambers says still might happen), but 13 seconds you learn nothing about either fighter nor who is better.  McGregor hits hard and if he connects you can knocked out, but everyone already knew that. 

I can point to the Dos Santos/Velasquez trilogy for an example.  JDS knocks Cain out about a minute into the first fight.  The next two fights are just complete domination by Cain.  Cain clearly the better fighter.  Now I'm not saying Aldo will do the same thing to McGregor, but when a fight is so quick you don't really know.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike
I think so also.
If it wasn't 13 seconds I would agree, but the reality is, you have no idea who is the better fighter because the fight was so quick.  I mean if McGregor had been beating him up for a round or two, and then knocked him out like that, a rematch would make a lot less sense (though for the reasons chambers says still might happen), but 13 seconds you learn nothing about either fighter nor who is better.  McGregor hits hard and if he connects you can knocked out, but everyone already knew that. 

I can point to the Dos Santos/Velasquez trilogy for an example.  JDS knocks Cain out about a minute into the first fight.  The next two fights are just complete domination by Cain.  Cain clearly the better fighter.  Now I'm not saying Aldo will do the same thing to McGregor, but when a fight is so quick you don't really know.

That's like saying you should keep playing the NBA Finals until one team wins four games by double digits, just to make sure they are the better team.

And frankly, the most money to be made is in feeding McGregor a couple of tomato cans before another Aldo fight.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 09:13:45 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Basket ball and Box ing.

Wow.

I have knocked out some big drunk dudes in my time. I would NEVER let them politely ask for a rematch.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.