Author Topic: Injectgate - Where is the outrage?  (Read 3225 times)

Re: Injectgate - Where is the outrage?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Boxing is shady as hell.

There's also the fact that the USADA is known to be prone to bouts of financially sponsored favoritism:
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/9/9/9271811/can-boxing-trust-usada

However the lack of outrage comes from the fact that no one cares about boxing as a competitive sport. People know Mayweather for his celebrity, not his athletic acumen.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's boxing.  The whole sport has always been corrupt.

Also, I'm fine with the outrage being over Mayweather being a scumbag who beats women and is just generally a terrible human being rather than this.

Watching that fight, I doubt it made much of a difference.  Pacman was a shell of his former self & Mayweather would've stilll probably just kicked his butt.  It was a pretty one-sided fight.  Especially the latter rounds.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Nothing Mayweather took was banned or illegal, only the use of an IV was banned, of course it also can be approved (and actually was after the fact). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:33:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Thought this was going to be about Steelers and Panthers roiding stories going into SBs.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 05:24:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I mean, football has always been full of people bending the rules, even outright cheating.  Sooo....
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 05:37:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I mean, football has always been full of people bending the rules, even outright cheating.  Sooo....

Boxing makes football looking like kindergarten when it comes to corruption.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Boxing makes football looking like kindergarten when it comes to corruption.

And they're all a bunch of girlie men compared to hockey players.

... that's how that works, right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 07:08:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Also, I'm fine with the outrage being over Mayweather being a scumbag who beats women and is just generally a terrible human being rather than this.

Watching that fight, I doubt it made much of a difference.  Pacman was a shell of his former self & Mayweather would've stilll probably just kicked his butt.  It was a pretty one-sided fight.  Especially the latter rounds.

Well, I didn't want to make an excuse for my fellow Filipino, but if he was allowed to take a LEGAL pain reliever shot for his injured shoulder, it may have made a little bit of a difference.

Sure, Floyd would probably box himself and run himself away from trouble, but that little extra power from not having the painful shoulder could make a difference.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 07:10:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

However the lack of outrage comes from the fact that no one cares about boxing as a competitive sport. People know Mayweather for his celebrity, not his athletic acumen.

I agree with this.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree with this.

I wouldn't say no one.  I still order big fights and certainly prefer it to MMA.   Was kinda brought up on the "Four Kings" stuff in the 80s by my grandfather and got me a bit hooked.

It's certainly seems to be a niche sport more than anything at this point, though.

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I agree with this.

I wouldn't say no one.  I still order big fights and certainly prefer it to MMA.   Was kinda brought up on the "Four Kings" stuff in the 80s by my grandfather and got me a bit hooked.

It's certainly seems to be a niche sport more than anything at this point, though.

I feel the quality of boxing has dropped a lot.  Ali and Frazier's problems after boxing may have led to that, particularly in the heavier divisions.  I suspect anyone who would be an elite boxer and has some size go in other directions now.  Only the top few boxers get paid, meanwhile there are 2,000 players in the NFL where the minimum salary is around $500,000 per year, plus the college scholarships.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Don't really care but thought it was funny and predictable how Stephen A Smith called BS on this report.