Author Topic: Iman Shumpert agrees to a four-year, $40M deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers  (Read 4449 times)

Offline The_Price_Is_Right

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Dan Gilbert is going to end up shelling out $200 million in payroll plus taxes this year!

Love it. He should buy a billboard downtown that say "I'm all about Runner Up"

The Cavs were two games away from winning it without Irving and Love.  If those guys stay healthy, which is a HUGE if...they would have won it this year, and have a great shot the next 3-4 years...
Mark Price is the current head coach of the Charlotte 49ers and a former American basketball player who played for 12 seasons in the National Basketball Association (NBA), from 1986 to 1998. Spending the majority of his career with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Dan Gilbert is going to end up shelling out $200 million in payroll plus taxes this year!

The Cavs were two games away from winning it without Irving and Love.  If those guys stay healthy, which is a HUGE if...they would have won it this year, and have a great shot the next 3-4 years...

And that Latrell Sprewell Knicks team that made it to the Finals went on to be a title contender for years after that.

The Cavs with Kyrie and Love are going to be contenders but that playoff run was more of a fluke than anything else.

Mike

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

And that Latrell Sprewell Knicks team that made it to the Finals went on to be a title contender for years after that.

The Cavs with Kyrie and Love are going to be contenders but that playoff run was more of a fluke than anything else.

Mike
Do you really believe that?  The Cavs destroyed a 60 win team with a very banged up Kyrie Irving that missed 2 full games.  They beat a Bulls team that many experts thought would beat them rather easily.  They destroyed the Celtics.  They won two games (and should have won a third) against a 67 win team and did so without their 2nd and 3rd best players.

There is a reason that as soon as the Finals ended the Cavs were 7 to 4 favorites to win the title next year and that is before Love, Thompson, and Shumpert all officially came back (though obviously that was expected). 

I would be amazed, I mean absolutely dumbfounded if Cleveland isn't in the Finals again next year as long as James is healthy and they have even moderate health from the rest of the roster.  If they are basically healthy and remain so for the playoffs I expect Cleveland to easily cruise to a NBA Title with San Antonio (if they add Aldridge) as the only team that could even give them a series or make them work for it.  The Cavs are a juggernaut if healthy.  I can't believe anyone thinks otherwise.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Mike

Even if you want to pooh-pooh the run this year, there doesn't exactly seem to be anyone stepping up to compete with them in the East.  And they've still got Haywood's non-guaranteed deal to flip for an additional piece if they want.  Nothing's guaranteed but the Cavs are indisputably in a very, very strong position to contend for the next 3-4 years at a minimum.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
BTW, the Knicks were in the ECF the year after that Finals appearance.  Then injuries and defections started and they fell off rather quickly (JVG leaving didn't help either).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip