Author Topic: Greg Oden, if he's legit healthy, any interest in him still?  (Read 7570 times)

Re: Greg Oden, if he's legit healthy, any interest in him still?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 06:52:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Nope = Oden has lost too much of his athleticism from all those injuries. A limited player. 3rd string center to below average backup center. The Celtics can get similar talent at similar price without any of the risk attached. No upside here.

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 07:02:47 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I would still take a chance on the guy.  Who knows.  There has been some guys others has ruled out who has found their niche here in green.  Maybe this is where it happens for Ogden.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:24 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
The alcoholic with no knees who beat his girlfriend? No, we are not THAT desperate for a center.

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 08:03:41 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Could drinking and being abusive to girlfriend have come from a failed career?  You don't think that's enough to drive someone to drinking?  I'm not trying to justify any of it but only pointing out that these aren't isolated situations.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 08:35:43 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
When has Oden ever been "legit" healthy. Pass.

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Could drinking and being abusive to girlfriend have come from a failed career?  You don't think that's enough to drive someone to drinking?  I'm not trying to justify any of it but only pointing out that these aren't isolated situations.
[/quote

Sure, but he was reportedly drinking while a member of the Heat, as they did their best to give him a chance. We don't need another Vin Baker

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
people here were irate over Jermaine's chronic injuries.  they'd be apoplectic once Oden starting getting hurt and missing games.  he'd play less games for us than JO did.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

If the guy is a woman-beating alcoholic then he's a woman-beating alcoholic, no matter how he got there.

This guy still got a number of multi-million dollar contracts despite barely being able to play, and that's more financial success then most people achieve in their lifetimes.  That's enough money to start a business...and even if he can't play basketball it's not like the guy can't get an education and a regular job.

Blaming his lack of career success for his actions would be perfectly typical of today's world, where everybody tries to detach themselves from responsibility of their actions by using sob stories to try to gain sympathy (and an excuse) for being a horrible person.  Not to mention today's ever growing trend for people to look for somebody to point fingers at every time they make a mistake.

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Ditto.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 09:51:23 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The alcoholic with no knees who beat his girlfriend? No, we are not THAT desperate for a center.

Well, we went after McGee lol :p

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
id invite him to play for the dleague team and see what happens.

Yea this about it. Thou, I do think he's done. I wanted the Cs to bring him in last year when Miami end up signing him. If he had anything left Miami woulda gave him a shot.

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 09:54:10 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Ditto.

The main interest was to drive the discussion away from a worry about health, and focus more on the hypothetical of him being a real option to us and if his recent personal problems were enough of an obstacle to you guys or not to give him a chance, with the variable of remaining skills (mainly drawing from what you saw last season as he was coming back) he might still possess.

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 10:26:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Ditto.

The main interest was to drive the discussion away from a worry about health, and focus more on the hypothetical of him being a real option to us and if his recent personal problems were enough of an obstacle to you guys or not to give him a chance, with the variable of remaining skills (mainly drawing from what you saw last season as he was coming back) he might still possess.

But how can you have a legit discussion about Oden without discussing health?  That's always been the elephant in the room with him and will continue to carry with the guy. 

Hypothetically, he could come back as Bill Russell or he can Sam Bowie himself & be done for good. 

Personal problems aside, I'm not sure there is anything Oden can bring to the table at this point besides being a warm body.  I'd rather try & address the C position by going after a legit starter caliber center.  Not another backup quality/end of bench big man.  We seem to have those already although Zeller has proven to be quite serviceable and a pleasant surprise.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 10:40:36 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I hear Gilbert Arenas is healthy ... any interest?