Author Topic: The eastern conference is now legitimate again.  (Read 6953 times)

The eastern conference is now legitimate again.
« on: July 13, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 234
and thank god. I really hated watching Miami go to the finals 4 years in a row.

Obviously Cleveland is going to be the favorites due to all the LeBron hype that will ensue, but the way I see it there is a lot of inexperience on that team. Experience is huge, and is what the Bulls, Wizards, Pacers, and even the Hawks now have. I could see every single one of those teams really challenging the Cavs, and really making it an interesting race.

I know the offseasons not over yet but this is how I see the EC right now..

1. Cavs
2. Wizards
3. Bulls
4. Pacers
5. Hawks
6. Nets
7. Heat
8. Raptors
9. Hornets
10. Knicks
11. Pistons
12. Celtics
13. Bucks
14. Magic
15. Sixers

Still doesn't touch the WC in terms of depth, but still a lot better 1-8 than last year.

Going to be a fun year. Unfortunately not for the Celtics though  :'(

Re: The eastern conference is now legitimate again.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
I have my Eastern rankings like this:

1. Pacers
2. Bulls
3. Wizards
4. Cavs
5. Hawks
6. Raptors
7. Heat
8. Nets
9. Celtics
10. Hornets
11. Knicks
12. Pistons
13. Bucks
14. Magic
15. Sixers

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
It's not strong enough. The conference itself has to a strong enough to push the Celtics to only win 10-15 games next year to tank for Okafor or Towns.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If by some how DA pulls off Love it would make for really good basketball all the way around. Like it was in the early 90's. A couple top teams, and some really good teams that could take any top team out with a bit of luck. Yeah the Bulls dominated, but teams like the Pistons, and Knicks always felt like they had a chance, and even LA,Portland,Utah, has their shots too. It would really balance out the league.

I was talking to some one about this. And was joking that Adam Silver brought Lebron/Melo/Wade/Bosh in and said that they needed to not ALL team up and balance the league better. Maybe give them a little bit of a cut for their troubles. :P

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The East is still a very weak conference. Take any top 8 team in the West and they are easily a top four eastern conference team.

Depending on how the rest of the offseason plays out, these are my current rankings:

1. Pacers
2. Bulls
3. Cavs
4. Wiz
5. Heat
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8.Knicks
9. Nets
10. Pistons
11. Hornets
12. Celtics
13. Bucks
14. Magic
15. 76ers

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 03:03:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
A Celtics team with K-Love and Asik would have been in the running to win this Conference and make the Finals.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

1. Pacers
2. Bulls
3. Wizards
4. Cavs
5. Hawks
6. Raptors
7. Heat
8. Nets
9. Celtics
10. Hornets
11. Knicks
12. Pistons
13. Bucks
14. Magic
15. Sixers

I imagine your assumption for the Pacers includes that they retain Lance Stephenson? Personally it looks doubtful right now. And honestly, I think they're going to have an underwhelming season next year.

Hawks and Hornets in particular still have plenty of cap room to make an impact signing, so I can see them jumping higher easily.

These are my current rankings:

1. Bulls
2. Cavs
3. Wizards
4. Heat
5. Hawks (Still have room to improve roster)
6. Pacers (Depends on Stephenson, could go make a jump, but I think they'll under-perform)
7. Celtics (Much better roster balance so far, and healthier, underrated talent)
8. Nets (May be underestimating them, but I don't trust them.)
9. Hornets (Still have room to make, but roster too unbalanced and incomplete right now)
10. Raptors

Didn't pay to much attention to the ones below, so left them as is.

11. Knicks
12. Pistons (This one is a big x-factor to me, very hard to gauge because of chemistry issues)
13. Bucks
14. Magic
15. Sixers

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

1. Pacers

I imagine your assumption for the Pacers includes that they retain Lance Stephenson? Personally it looks doubtful right now. And honestly, I think they're going to have an underwhelming season next year.

With or without Lance Stephenson, I think Indiana is the best team in the East.

Paul George and Roy Hibbert are the backbones of that Indiana team. As long as they have them, they have the framework for a successful team in place.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

1. Pacers

Paul George and Roy Hibbert are the backbones of that Indiana team. As long as they have them, they have the framework for a successful team in place.

I don't know. I feel like they over-performed last year and they had a better roster to work with. What I see now is incomplete, and I don't think they'll do all that well.

But I'll allow myself to be wrong here, but I just don't trust that team particularly with how weak they finished the season.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Bulls are hot garbage. They made no noise in the playoffs last year. I dont get the hype around them. They've been worse every year since 09.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 03:35:27 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Raptors are getting mad slept on.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Bulls are hot garbage. They made no noise in the playoffs last year. I dont get the hype around them. They've been worse every year since 09.

Won 48 games without Derrick Rose last year. Even if he is never the same again, surely Rose can get them back to around 55 wins. And if he can still be an All-Star quality player, then Chicago could get back to 60 wins.

1. Pacers

I don't know. I feel like they over-performed last year and they had a better roster to work with. What I see now is incomplete, and I don't think they'll do all that well.

But I'll allow myself to be wrong here, but I just don't trust that team particularly with how weak they finished the season.

Yeah, I think that is fair given how Indiana fell apart last season.

I see all of the top teams as flawed or question marks ... and went with Indiana just because I feel Indiana is the most proven of those flawed/question mark teams.

I think Chicago are the biggest threat to Indiana. I gave Indy the nod because of concerns about how well D-Rose will be able to perform next year.

I think Cleveland jump to #1 team if they get K-Love but do not see them there without him. Wiggins not ready to be leading player. Varejao in decline. Lots of young players still learning how to play winning basketball.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The East is still nubbsville.
Greg

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Won 48 games without Derrick Rose last year. Even if he is never the same again, surely Rose can get them back to around 55 wins. And if he can still be an All-Star quality player, then Chicago could get back to 60 wins.

1. Pacers

Yeah, I think that is fair given how Indiana fell apart last season.

I see all of the top teams as flawed or question marks ... and went with Indiana just because I feel Indiana is the most proven of those flawed/question mark teams.

I think Chicago are the biggest threat to Indiana. I gave Indy the nod because of concerns about how well D-Rose will be able to perform next year.

I think Cleveland jump to #1 team if they get K-Love but do not see them there without him. Wiggins not ready to be leading player. Varejao in decline. Lots of young players still learning how to play winning basketball.

I think in general we're being a bit too careful with Cleveland. I only put the Bulls on top because of their continuity and they've shown an ability to perform even without Rose, so that helps give me a bit more confidence in them and their defense.

And I like Pau Gasol. It gives them another talented option to be effective and take the team a bit on his shoulders when needed. I think he has a lot of basketball left in him, needs to be better used overall. And if a bigger role is given to him, he'll have a good impact.

So in all I see the Bulls a bit more prepared this year.

But I have little doubt, with or without Love, that Cleveland will be one of the top teams. LeBron has done more with less, and Irving is a legit talent. And Wiggins and LeBron on the wings can provide some really tough wing defense for 48 minutes, that's going to be huge.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
1. Pacers
2. Wizards
3. Bulls
4. Cavs
5. Heat
6. Nets
7. Celtics
8. Sixers
9. Raptors
10. Hawks
11. Knicks
12. Hornets
13. Pistons
14. Bucks
15. Magic

Celtics make playoffs AND get Philly's pick!!
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale