Author Topic: Nets may need a new coach....Again  (Read 9872 times)

Re: Nets may need a new coach....Again
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 12:25:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Oy vey. This trade may end up being a daylight robbery if the Nets end up imploding  this season (which is not out of the question).

That was the feeling around the league front offices around the time of the trade, apparently. We'd need both the Hawks and the Nets to implode this year to get a good first-rounder out of it (Atlanta has swap rights with Brooklyn, from the Joe Johnson trade I believe), but otherwise it's nothing but candy canes and rainbows.

The only real monkey wrench is that Prokorov is insane and will spend any amount of money, so attracting free agents to the team isn't out of the question to keep them from being horribad. Although I don't know what their salary structure looks like.
It's probably worth reminding that the way the NBA lottery works, we have an additive probability for the top pick, not separate chance for each first-rounder we hold.

So combining a multiple first picks, even if they're not individually great, may go a long way.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Which reminds me, are our Nets pics anything-protected?
Nope! Apparently we have to give them a protected second-rounder if we swap firsts in 2017, but that's it.
Oy vey. This trade may end up being a daylight robbery if the Nets end up imploding  this season (which is not out of the question).

Especially since with the Clippers out of the picture the Nets were essentially bidding against themselves.  Does anybody really think Danny would've passed if King held firm at say, 2 first rounders and no swap rights?

It really sucked to see KG and especially PP leave town, but this is looking more and more like a great move by Ainge.  He somehow managed to sell high on two guys who are past 35 and steadily fading, and to a team that seems to have the philosophy of just slapping together as many big names as possible.

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The only real monkey wrench is that Prokorov is insane and will spend any amount of money, so attracting free agents to the team isn't out of the question to keep them from being horribad. Although I don't know what their salary structure looks like.

They have about $89m in salary committed for next season, well over $80m even if take out all team and player options.  They'll only have the mini-MLE to bring in free agents for more than the minimum next season.  That might be the case even if Pierce leaves and Garnett retires, depending on where the cap is set and what happens with some player options.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

They have about $89m in salary committed for next season, well over $80m even if take out all team and player options.  They'll only have the mini-MLE to bring in free agents for more than the minimum next season.  That might be the case even if Pierce leaves and Garnett retires, depending on where the cap is set and what happens with some player options.

Right. Even though it's fun to pretend and hyperbolize as if the Nets aren't bound by the same salary restrictions as everyone else, it's not a reality.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Right. Even though it's fun to pretend and hyperbolize as if the Nets aren't bound by the same salary restrictions as everyone else, it's not a reality.

Unless Prokhorov is tossing around some under-the-table deals, most likely to players from Eastern Europe.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Unless Prokhorov is tossing around some under-the-table deals, most likely to players from Eastern Europe.

I should adjust my statement:
Even though it's fun to pretend, hyperbolize, and throw on the tin foil hat...
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The Nets were definitely my least favorite team last year adding Pierce made me root for him but I still cant stand them. Wasnt really sure why people immediately bumped them up to being contenders with the Heat.

DWill is not a very good point guard and has lost some significant steps in his game. Putting him alongside Johnson is not a good move, he needs the ball too much and doesnt play D. Lopez is good on offense and can block shots but his overall defense is mediocre due to how slow he is. They are a bunch of iso me me me guys and thats not going to work no matter how much team emphasis is preached by KG and Pierce.

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 01:36:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Does anyone disagree that it is reasonable to believe that the Nets of this season might end up no better than and possibly worse than the Celtics of last season?

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 01:42:38 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Does anyone disagree that it is reasonable to believe that the Nets of this season might end up no better than and possibly worse than the Celtics of last season?
Sure. DWill could blow out his ACL at any moment.

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Nope! Apparently we have to give them a protected second-rounder if we swap firsts in 2017, but that's it.

I really feel they only have a ~2 year window, given their age.

I was saying that at the time of the trade, and people didn't want to hear it.  Even if the Nets were to perform up to expectations this year, they're reliant on Pierce, KG, and Joe Johnson, and don't have the ability to add cheap young talent via draft picks.  Billionaire owner or not, they may blow up and not be able to do much about it. 

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I would be pretty shocked if the Nets didn't at least finish somewhere around the neighbourhood they were in last season. Around 50 wins I think it was.

Short of serious injuries to B.Lopez or D.Williams that is.

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

That was the feeling around the league front offices around the time of the trade, apparently. We'd need both the Hawks and the Nets to implode this year to get a good first-rounder out of it (Atlanta has swap rights with Brooklyn, from the Joe Johnson trade I believe), but otherwise it's nothing but candy canes and rainbows.

Yeah even if the Nets fall into the lottery, Atlanta has first dibs on a pick swap with them. I think it is safe to assume the pick that the Celtics receive will be in the 16-22 range.

The Nets are a mess so far. Deron Williams has really regressed. He might not even be a top 10 point guard anymore. Their season mostly lies on Brook Lopez's ability to dominate. Otherwise they look slow and kind of like a bizzaro version of the Celtics from the past 2 seasons.

Still they should be able to IQ their way into the playoffs.

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would be pretty shocked if the Nets didn't at least finish somewhere around the neighbourhood they were in last season. Around 50 wins I think it was.

Short of serious injuries to B.Lopez or D.Williams that is.

Agreed.  They upgraded at like every position.  It'd be hard to believe.  But we will have to see.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I was saying that at the time of the trade, and people didn't want to hear it.  Even if the Nets were to perform up to expectations this year, they're reliant on Pierce, KG, and Joe Johnson, and don't have the ability to add cheap young talent via draft picks.  Billionaire owner or not, they may blow up and not be able to do much about it.

Without picks, the Nets should be in quicksand for the next 3 years. The pick that should be gold, is the 2016 first rounder. Garnett will have retired. Maybe Pierce will have retired as well. Johnson and Williams will continue to erode. After that year, all the big salaries start coming off the books, and who knows what direction they go in free agency. The 2017 pick (vis swap) and 2018 pick are totally unpredictable.

It is sad to see PP and KG not in green, but, wow! Those picks are gonna be very valuable.

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Without picks, the Nets should be in quicksand for the next 3 years. The pick that should be gold, is the 2016 first rounder. Garnett will have retired. Maybe Pierce will have retired as well. Johnson and Williams will continue to erode. After that year, all the big salaries start coming off the books, and who knows what direction they go in free agency. The 2017 pick (vis swap) and 2018 pick are totally unpredictable.

It is sad to see PP and KG not in green, but, wow! Those picks are gonna be very valuable.

i agree, but would add that the 2015 may very well be valuable as well. given the state of the nets NOW, i dont think the next few years with KG and pierce will improve the team.

at this stage of the rebuild, any and all assets are welcome. the nets may have provided the celtics with some good ones....on top of their own picks.

now if only the clippers would totally bottom out next year.... :D

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva