Author Topic: Nets may need a new coach....Again  (Read 9871 times)

Nets may need a new coach....Again
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
So I know it's still so early in the season but the Nets look horrendous. And I know that people are saying that the Heat didn't look too good when they first started playing together (made the finals that year) but from watching Brooklyn the past couple games I realize that it's more than just chemistry issues. They're getting absolutely abused in transition, in pick n rolls, and the guards are just making awful decisions on offense (All of those things bring in to question Kidd's coaching abilities). Part of the problem is that Brook Lopez and Deron Williams are soft as baby crap. Garnett and Pierce need to be playing with guys who can be enforcers since at this stage in their careers their bodies can't handle being in that role.

Yeah, the Nets need more time to gel and they have a lot of new faces but so do the Celtics and they're playing much better basketball imo. Makes me wonder if they'd be having the same problems if they hired Brad Stevens instead of Jason Kidd. Both have little experience but Stevens just looks a lot more calm and prepared out there. Anyone else starting to think that Jason Kidd isn't cut out to be an NBA coach or is it just me?

Re: Nets may need a new coach....Again
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:53:25 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
One day, Kidd may be a great coach.

But I think the NBA is about the only professional sport that allows a guy with no coaching experience become the head coach.

Though it is probably too early to put to much blame on any one aspect of the team.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
I just think that if the Nets don't win the title this year then The Jason Kidd hire will be looked at as a huge mistake considering there were coaches like Phil Jackson, Lionel Hollins, Jerry Sloan, Nate McMillan, Scott Skiles, Stan Van Gundy that they could have pursued instead. I think it's harder than people think to earn the respect of an NBA roster when you have zero head coaching experience like Kidd.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I've said this ever since Kid was hired, that he's their only weak link.  As stacked as the Nets are in talent, their biggest weakness is the coach. 

It was a really dumb move on the billionaire's part to put an unproven rookie coach in charge of a team overflowing with potential and talent.

Jason Kid and Stevens aren't comparable in my opinion.  Stevens has been a coach.  Yea, not on the NBA level but he has coached and has proven that he can truly coach.  So Kidd and Stevens aren't on thesame level.  Put Stevens in charge of a team that stacked and they'll be beasting right now.

Also I would like to use this argument to put to rest another argument that any coach could've won the 2008 championship with the type of talents we had; that Doc isn't that special.  I don't care for Doc anymore and I think the way he left was really unprofessional but to say he wasn't a great coach is fallacy to me.  It's one thing to have all the pieces (like the Nets right now), it's another thing to be good enough to put those pieces together and make them work. 

Doc was a mastermind of that, just like every other great coach that came before him.  He was great at that and that's why we won that championship.  So, no, you can't just put any captain on the ship and expect him to get you to your destination no matter how well tuned the ship is. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Or at least find an coach who has been an assistant coach in the NBA.  Experience matters

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:08:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Putting Kidd in the coach's seat with such a short window of contention was what confirmed to me that Prokhorov is going through his "ultra-rich owner first tries to build team like a fantasy squad" phase.  Hopefully he learns from it, but not until we rack up some good picks.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:00:26 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The Nets just suck.  Pierce and KG are too old to carry a team and Lopez/JJ/Deron aren't doing much.

Their bench is underperforming and Kidd sucks at coaching.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

But I think the NBA is about the only professional sport that allows a guy with no coaching experience become the head coach.

Though it is probably too early to put to much blame on any one aspect of the team.

Baseball will do it too, no? Brad Ausmus for example? Girardi for the Yanks?

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Baseball will do it too, no? Brad Ausmus for example? Girardi for the Yanks?

True. 

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The Nets just suck.  Pierce and KG are too old to carry a team and Lopez/JJ/Deron aren't doing much.

Their bench is underperforming and Kidd sucks at coaching.

Hard hitting analysis.

This team won a good amount of games last year and only added players.  Worth looking at why this is happening (and it definitely seems like it should turn around at least somewhat, one way or another).
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Which reminds me, are our Nets pics anything-protected?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
They have a decent coach on the Nets, his name is Lawrence Frank. Jason Kidd is not the problem, unless he's not listening to the people who have been there before.

Nope! Apparently we have to give them a protected second-rounder if we swap firsts in 2017, but that's it.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Considering my decade-plus long disdain for Jason Kidd, I have no qualms seeing that guy lose his job.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 12:04:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Nope! Apparently we have to give them a protected second-rounder if we swap firsts in 2017, but that's it.
Oy vey. This trade may end up being a daylight robbery if the Nets end up imploding  this season (which is not out of the question).

I really feel they only have a ~2 year window, given their age.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Oy vey. This trade may end up being a daylight robbery if the Nets end up imploding  this season (which is not out of the question).

That was the feeling around the league front offices around the time of the trade, apparently. We'd need both the Hawks and the Nets to implode this year to get a good first-rounder out of it (Atlanta has swap rights with Brooklyn, from the Joe Johnson trade I believe), but otherwise it's nothing but candy canes and rainbows.

The only real monkey wrench is that Prokorov is insane and will spend any amount of money, so attracting free agents to the team isn't out of the question to keep them from being horribad. Although I don't know what their salary structure looks like.