Author Topic: Wesley Matthews or Rudy Fernandez maybe available  (Read 9847 times)

Re: Wesley Matthews or Rudy Fernandez maybe available
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I don't understand why people are so big on Rudy ...  :P

I think if the asking price is a late first round pick, then it makes some sense.  He has had trouble really grabbing hold of a role in Portland, but the talent is undeniably there.  The thought is that he could be a real low risk, high reward pickup, and has as much, if not more potential than anyone you would get with that draft pick. 

I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Have you looked at who'll be there at #25?  P.U.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 06:39:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The guy I have the biggest crush on out of that bunch is Nicolas Batum.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 12:37:04 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I don't have to say it, do I?

WESLEY MATTHEWS!!!

I like that I have my own memes.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I don't have to say it, do I?

WESLEY MATTHEWS!!!

I like that I have my own memes.

'Internet serious business' comes to mind as well. ;)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:53:44 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I doubt they trade Wes Matthews because he's so young.

If there is the contract amnesty thing you can best believe that Roy won't be on the team anymore which would solve there problem.

*waits for we should get Brandon Roy yet another guy with injury issues*
If we could get him for a price that factors in his injury concerns I would be in. Not for the 16mm he currently makes.
haven't we dealt with enough injuries we have to look for healthy guys this is most likely the last run
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Rudy slots into the Marquis Daniels trade exception.

Would you trade the 1st rounder for Rudy? Would Portland take that?

Batum also fits into the Daniels TE (but not both). But I think Portland would ask for a lot more in exchange.

I think Rudy would definitely fit into the 2nd unit very well - he's more of a legit 2 guard who can shoot 3'd and could spell Ray. A 2nd unit backcourt of Delonte West (if we can resign him) at PG and Rudy F. at SG could be very productive.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 05:52:17 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

Batum also fits into the Daniels TE (but not both). But I think Portland would ask for a lot more in exchange.

I think Rudy would definitely fit into the 2nd unit very well - he's more of a legit 2 guard who can shoot 3'd and could spell Ray. A 2nd unit backcourt of Delonte West (if we can resign him) at PG and Rudy F. at SG could be very productive.

can Rudy play any D? I haven't seen enough of him to get a feel wether he is physically capable of playing some solid defense. I'm not talking about Tony Allen defense, just solid enough defense so that he doesn't sit on the bench in Doc's doghouse.

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

can Rudy play any D? I haven't seen enough of him to get a feel wether he is physically capable of playing some solid defense. I'm not talking about Tony Allen defense, just solid enough defense so that he doesn't sit on the bench in Doc's doghouse.

I think in the right system, he can be an adequate defender (kind of like Ray Allen did when he got here). It's not something he's ever going to be known for, but if he puts in the effort he shouldn't keep him off the floor.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 08:19:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

Rudy is a lightweight who can't handle physical opponents (big two guards, power guards).

He is fairly decent defensively otherwise (serviceable).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:25:43 PM by Who »

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I think in the right system, he can be an adequate defender (kind of like Ray Allen did when he got here). It's not something he's ever going to be known for, but if he puts in the effort he shouldn't keep him off the floor.
I don't think Rudy has as much upside defensively as Ray Allen did.

Rudy doesn't have the the physical strength or toughness to matchup against two guards with good size / power.

Ray Allen was a bigger guard. Not height or length but strength. He had a better body to work with. Physically stronger.

Ray outweighs Rudy, by what, a good 20lbs (205lbs to 185lbs). That makes a pretty big difference (between one of the weakest two guards in the league and an average sized two). Allows Ray to fight better against more physical opponents.

That is how I see it anyway.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 08:33:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I just dont see the Blazers trading Wesley Matthews.  He's on a very reasonable contract for what he brings to the team. 

If the Cs really wanted to go after him, it would start with Jermaine ONeals expiring contract, and include at least a first round draft pick.

I have no interest in Rudy Fernandez.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Yeah, I think Rudy Fernandez is the only player that is available here.

The others are all in the Blazers long term plans.

----------------------------------------

I also think they are warming up to moving Nicolas Batum.

It sounds like their patience is beginning to wear out. They are not ready to move him yet, not this summer, but if he continues to show a lack of improvement next season ... I think Portland strongly considers moving him at the trade deadline.

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

I don't think Rudy has as much upside defensively as Ray Allen did.

Rudy doesn't have the the physical strength or toughness to matchup against two guards with good size / power.

Ray Allen was a bigger guard. Not height or length but strength. He had a better body to work with. Physically stronger.

Ray outweighs Rudy, by what, a good 20lbs (205lbs to 185lbs). That makes a pretty big difference (between one of the weakest two guards in the league and an average sized two). Allows Ray to fight better against more physical opponents.

That is how I see it anyway.

Thanks for the answers everyone. After those descriptions, I'm a bit worried about his ability to defend and how much time he would see here under Doc.

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 01:40:26 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I like Wes, but I don't think he is worth what we would have to give up.

Rudy? Eh, he could be decent, but I'd like to see who's available at our pick. I still rather make a move for a big who bangs inside that can kick it out. Won't hurt if he doesn't have over 30,000 minutes under his belt.

But those players don't exactly grow on trees, especially for the MLE.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 01:55:10 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yeah, I think Rudy Fernandez is the only player that is available here.

The others are all in the Blazers long term plans.

----------------------------------------

I also think they are warming up to moving Nicolas Batum.

It sounds like their patience is beginning to wear out. They are not ready to move him yet, not this summer, but if he continues to show a lack of improvement next season ... I think Portland strongly considers moving him at the trade deadline.

If their patience is wearing out on Batum, I'm all for getting in the running.  That kid's a stud. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson