Poll

Are we tanking this season?

Yes
41 (44.1%)
No
52 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Are we tanking this year?  (Read 38955 times)

Re: Are we tanking this year?
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2014, 07:46:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
No, and judging by Rondo's comments on front page of Blog sounds like he's very positive about our team and coach and direction we're going in.

Time to start filtering out the noise from media sources that are always clamoring for him to be traded or whatever.

He sounds like he is ready to compete with his teammates and win most of their games, like I expect BOS to do this year.
I am really surprised with the reactions Rondo's comments generated. Did anyone expect him to come out and say "Playing in a re-building team sucks. I want to be traded to the Knicks now."? Saying that he likes BOS and Stevens is elementary professionalism and PR.
The trade with the Nets, the six-year contract of Stevens, the amount of playing time the young talents get, and the ease with which we trade everyone but our young players, all suggest this team is about developing talent rather than winning games. It is hard to see a place for Rondo in such a team.

Step back from the cliff, for a moment...go ahead, it's ok - trust me.

We've all been cynical before. Lol I've been in that state about my Washington Redskins for the last several years.

But maybe - just maybe - Rondo is telling the truth, here?

Why do BOS fans always try to read more into something that is not there? Why can't we just take Rondo's word for "Just Once"?
TP for the cliff thing  ;D
Seriously now, these statements mean nothing more than Rondo is a good professional. Maybe he wants to stay, maybe he wants to leave, but this is what an intelligent person would say anyway. It's like the 'it's not you, it's me' routine of George Costanza. It's an attitude rather than a T or F statement.
In any case, the decision is mostly Ainge's. And everything Ainge has been doing the last couple of years indicates he takes the rebuilding very seriously, and is committed to a long term overhaul.

But I think we must be careful to not pidgeon-hole Danny, here. He is a Gambler, as I've read one poster call him on here (Kudos to ThaPreacher, I believe :))

Danny cashed in his chips quite well in 2007. And I think he is more committed to getting BOS back to contention. This is Title Town, here.

His "commitment" could be in the form of him answering LaMarcus' Agent's and/or Marc Gasol's agent phones and getting a verbal commitment from those two (or maybe a different combo of stars) to come to BOS.

I think that "Long Term commitment" that you spoke of would go out the window very quickly if that opportunity presented itself. Rondo-LaMarcus-Marc Gasol would contend quite well for 3-5 years.
What about Rondo-Anthony-Gasol?
Methinks these three could play some triangle offence.

Are we tanking this year?  Well, we certainly aren't contending, so, in a word, yes.  Btw, you can't post a picture of Red and then another one of Phil Jackson, lol, especially on the same page of the same thread ;D  Come on, man! ;D  Eh, I'm just messing with you.  Still, I don't think that Rondo could play in the triangle, unless he reverts back to what he was earlier in his career in terms of being a pretty good catch-and-shoot guy via the swing of the ball.  The triangle doesn't work with traditional point guards.  Ironically, because the "system" really accounts for all of the playmaking etc., Avery Bradley would be perfect for the Knicks, especially because Jackson has always liked defensive stalwarts at that position like Ron Harper was.  Even Derek Fisher was pretty good, despite the fact that he was a dirty player and notorious flopper who, if he couldn't catch up to Ray Allen off of a screen, would just trip himself over whoever it was that had set said pick, and the refs always fell for it.  Always.  It was ridiculous.  That aside, I would think that Shumpert would be the perfect guy to have as your point guard in the triangle because of his exceptional defensive ability.  Plus, he can pass and shoot (although he still needs improvement in this department), so there's that ;D.

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Haha, and for all that supposed "Zen" he was out-coached by none other than our own Doc Rivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxtiQZiK2c

And probably would've been out-coached AGAIN in 09-10 if it weren't for Dancing Joey and the Curious 4th Quarter Officiating Malaise.

Not bothered by your suggestion of Rondo leaving for NY, lol. It's cute, though.
Thanks for the vid. Much as I respect him, there is no other coach (except perhaps Obradovic) that gets on my nerves as much as Jackson.
Having said this, I do not think there is a realistic chance of Marc Gasol or Aldridge coming to Boston.

I really don't see Aldridge leaving Portland. They're a young team on the rise that won 54 games last year. I also think Lebron and Love going to Cleveland has narrowed the perceived gap in the difficulty of reaching the finals from the West as opposed to the East.

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2014, 07:58:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Haha, and for all that supposed "Zen" he was out-coached by none other than our own Doc Rivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxtiQZiK2c

And probably would've been out-coached AGAIN in 09-10 if it weren't for Dancing Joey and the Curious 4th Quarter Officiating Malaise.

Not bothered by your suggestion of Rondo leaving for NY, lol. It's cute, though.
Thanks for the vid. Much as I respect him, there is no other coach (except perhaps Obradovic) that gets on my nerves as much as Jackson.
Having said this, I do not think there is a realistic chance of Marc Gasol or Aldridge coming to Boston.

As BOS fans, we should "Never Say Never."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TnilbMphA

Sure, KG and Ray aren't walking through that door again, but Marc and LaMarcus could. Or any other combo of stars/pieces.

Things are SO fluid with BOS...in the late 70's, early 80s Red was maneuvering this team to acquire Kevin and Chief - just like Danny is now waiting patiently (AGAIN) for the right moment to act.

Let's not put a limit on who will/could come to BOS. Why as BOS fans have we become accustomed to being cynical?

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Are we tanking this year?  Well, we certainly aren't contending, so, in a word, yes.  Btw, you can't post a picture of Red and then another one of Phil Jackson, lol, especially on the same page of the same thread ;D  Come on, man! ;D  Eh, I'm just messing with you.  Still, I don't think that Rondo could play in the triangle, unless he reverts back to what he was earlier in his career in terms of being a pretty good catch-and-shoot guy via the swing of the ball. The triangle doesn't work with traditional point guards.  Ironically, because the "system" really accounts for all of the playmaking etc., Avery Bradley would be perfect for the Knicks, especially because Jackson has always liked defensive stalwarts at that position like Ron Harper was.  Even Derek Fisher was pretty good, despite the fact that he was a dirty player and notorious flopper who, if he couldn't catch up to Ray Allen off of a screen, would just trip himself over whoever it was that had set said pick, and the refs always fell for it.  Always.  It was ridiculous.  That aside, I would think that Shumpert would be the perfect guy to have as your point guard in the triangle because of his exceptional defensive ability.  Plus, he can pass and shoot (although he still needs improvement in this department), so there's that ;D.
Lots of good points in your post. About Rondo, I think you answer your question yourself.

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
If we waive Bynum, that indicates to me we are "developing our youth" which translates to WE ARE TANKING!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77
If we do not waive Bynum, we will have collected all four point guards in the NBA who cannot shoot 3ps, which translates to "we are a bunch of idiots". I prefer tanking.

But the supposedly best PG in the game CAN shoot 3's but hasn't won a Banner....and probably won't come out of the West, this year or even next.

What's our fixation on PG's shooting 3's?
No, I am not saying that unless a PG can shoot 3's he is not good- Rondo has definitively proved you can be an elite PG without 3's. The point is that given the position he plays and his skills (let alone his age) Bynum is redundant in this team. He' ll be waived.
PS If you are talking about CP3, I think this will be his season. IMHO the Clippers will have a monster year.

Good points.

As for the Clips? As much as I love that team, I don't see them getting past OKC, Spurs or perhaps even my dark horse West team, DAL.

DAL has become SNEAKY good.

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Sure, KG and Ray aren't walking through that door again, but Marc and LaMarcus could. Or any other combo of stars/pieces.

Things are SO fluid with BOS...in the late 70's, early 80s Red was maneuvering this team to acquire Kevin and Chief - just like Danny is now waiting patiently (AGAIN) for the right moment to act.

Let's not put a limit on who will/could come to BOS. Why as BOS fans have we become accustomed to being cynical?
I guess I really like fantasizing KO lifting nr 18 as captain of the team 5-6 years from now, with Young as Finals MVP.
It is more like immature optimism than cynicism.

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2014, 08:38:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I guess I really like fantasizing KO lifting nr 18 as captain of the team 5-6 years from now, with Young as Finals MVP.
It is more like immature optimism than cynicism.

Are you being serious now? Or Trolling?

Are you really THAT pessimistic about BOS? Have you heard about the Celtics Mystique? No other team has that, btw.

It's called Mystique because of people like KG, Shaq (Yes - Shaq...BOS looked like World Beaters while he was healthy in Green).

PP, Ray, Larry, Chief, Kevin, Russell, Cousy, Hondo, Cowens, Tommy, Satch...so many stars on this team to suit up in Green.

As you can't seem to see KO or even Marcus in a few years perhaps hoisting Banner 18, I guess that was the same outlook I perhaps had prior to Summer of 2007.

What we all may see NOW - could be much different in a couple of years or even sooner.

BOS is too steeped in TRADITION to not contend again - just like the Lakers. As much as I despise them and HOPE they lose 60 games this year - they WILL be back, too.

*No - I actually hope Lakers lose "just enough" to BARELY miss the playoffs....I want the ping pong balls to NOT be in their favor at all.*

But as for BOS let's enjoy this season and look to the bright future, here. Stop all the doom and gloom nonsense.

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
No, and judging by Rondo's comments on front page of Blog sounds like he's very positive about our team and coach and direction we're going in.

Time to start filtering out the noise from media sources that are always clamoring for him to be traded or whatever.

He sounds like he is ready to compete with his teammates and win most of their games, like I expect BOS to do this year.
I am really surprised with the reactions Rondo's comments generated. Did anyone expect him to come out and say "Playing in a re-building team sucks. I want to be traded to the Knicks now."? Saying that he likes BOS and Stevens is elementary professionalism and PR.
The trade with the Nets, the six-year contract of Stevens, the amount of playing time the young talents get, and the ease with which we trade everyone but our young players, all suggest this team is about developing talent rather than winning games. It is hard to see a place for Rondo in such a team.

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  I want to see the 2014-2015 Celtics develop young talent and win games. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Are you being serious now? Or Trolling?

Are you really THAT pessimistic about BOS? Have you heard about the Celtics Mystique? No other team has that, btw.

It's called Mystique because of people like KG, Shaq (Yes - Shaq...BOS looked like World Beaters while he was healthy in Green).

PP, Ray, Larry, Chief, Kevin, Russell, Cousy, Hondo, Cowens, Tommy, Satch...so many stars on this team to suit up in Green.

As you can't seem to see KO or even Marcus in a few years perhaps hoisting Banner 18, I guess that was the same outlook I perhaps had prior to Summer of 2007.

What we all may see NOW - could be much different in a couple of years or even sooner.

BOS is too steeped in TRADITION to not contend again - just like the Lakers. As much as I despise them and HOPE they lose 60 games this year - they WILL be back, too.

*No - I actually hope Lakers lose "just enough" to BARELY miss the playoffs....I want the ping pong balls to NOT be in their favor at all.*

But as for BOS let's enjoy this season and look to the bright future, here. Stop all the doom and gloom nonsense.
The Lakers are going to suck for a long, long time. It will take them several years before they can even make it to the play-offs again. Bad ownership, some of the worst contracts in the NBA, no young talent, awful coach, second team in LA, everything is against them. Please do not try to spoil this for me.

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The Lakers are in tough shape but I don't really blame anyone in particular. They mortgaged the future and managed to put together the best team on paper(arguably) going in '12-13. It just all came crashing down with Nash and Kobe falling apart and Howard bolting. I see it as them experiencing some really bad luck(about time).

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Good points.

As for the Clips? As much as I love that team, I don't see them getting past OKC, Spurs or perhaps even my dark horse West team, DAL.

DAL has become SNEAKY good.
DAL is definitely a team to watch out for. With hindsight, they were the only team that managed to compete with the Spurs in the play-offs. And I loved the loyalty that Nowitzki exhibited by staying there despite being offered more money elsewhere.

IMHO Clips>OKC this year. Griffin has improved his shooting technique, Farmar seems to be a better fit than Collison with his reliable 3p%, and Spencer Hawes might be the best bench player acquisition of this summer. Doc could easily have had Pierce in his place and this says something about how highly he values Hawes. But most important for all, last season's loss to OKC was a lesson- they' ve learned it and now they are coming back for revenge. IMHO they ll make it to the Western finals.

« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  I want to see the 2014-2015 Celtics develop young talent and win games.

I think we'd all love that, but developing talent, especially rookie talent, often comes with growing pains that lead to losses.  Frustrating losses.  Rondo aside, we don't have the talent to do both.  Yet.  Sullinger has looked impressive in the preseason, and I think everyone wants to see more of Young, but Smart hasn't been that great, honestly.  Yes, he's made some excellent passes and gives everything he has out there, which is very commendable, but I don't know what happened to his offense.  I'm not giving up on him or anything, I'm just saying that he's been mostly a downer, imo.  Who are our building blocks, moving forward, and do we even have any?  Sully is probably the closest thing to being that, but, reasonably, that's about it as of now, imo, so it's going to be another frustrating year.  Hopefully, though, it will translate into getting a great big guy, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, lol ;D

« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
The Lakers are in tough shape but I don't really blame anyone in particular. They mortgaged the future and managed to put together the best team on paper(arguably) going in '12-13. It just all came crashing down with Nash and Kobe falling apart and Howard bolting. I see it as them experiencing some really bad luck(about time).
The only thing that worries me is that the Lakers are trying to out-tank us. Scott has come up with a swindling masterpiece - his team gets defeated and there is nothing the opponents can do about it. Other than Philly there is no team in the NBA so good at losing as the LAL.
"Scott has decided that the Lakers will snub their collective noses at modern basketball thinking and stop taking so many three-pointers. [...] Mid-range jumpers are the least efficient shot in basketball. Corner threes are among the most efficient. Over two games, the Lakers have taken 95 mid-range jumpers and eight threes ... none of which were in the corners."
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/17/6993657/lakers-worst-team-byron-scott-kobe-bryant

« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2014, 09:11:12 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I think we'd all love that, but developing talent, especially rookie talent, often comes with growing pains that lead to losses.  Frustrating losses.  Rondo aside, we don't have the talent to do both. Yet.  Sullinger has looked impressive in the preseason, and I think everyone wants to see more of Young, but Smart hasn't been that great, honestly.  Yes, he's made some excellent passes and gives everything he has out there, which is very commendable, but I don't know what happened to his offense.  I'm not giving up on him or anything, I'm just saying that he's been mostly a downer, imo.  Who are our building blocks, moving forward, and do we even have any?  Sully is probably the closest thing to being that, but, reasonably, that's about it as of now, imo, so it's going to be another frustrating year.  Hopefully, though, it will translate into getting a great big guy, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, lol ;D
Just wait until Dwight Powell gets into form  ;D

« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I think we'd all love that, but developing talent, especially rookie talent, often comes with growing pains that lead to losses.  Frustrating losses.  Rondo aside, we don't have the talent to do both.  Yet.  Sullinger has looked impressive in the preseason, and I think everyone wants to see more of Young, but Smart hasn't been that great, honestly.  Yes, he's made some excellent passes and gives everything he has out there, which is very commendable, but I don't know what happened to his offense.  I'm not giving up on him or anything, I'm just saying that he's been mostly a downer, imo.  Who are our building blocks, moving forward, and do we even have any?  Sully is probably the closest thing to being that, but, reasonably, that's about it as of now, imo, so it's going to be another frustrating year.  Hopefully, though, it will translate into getting a great big guy, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, lol ;D

No mention of Kelly as a key youngster?  Or Avery?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson