Author Topic: Boston, Sacramento and Brooklyn shake it up  (Read 2538 times)

Boston, Sacramento and Brooklyn shake it up
« on: September 03, 2016, 03:06:43 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
This trade is designed to happen near the trade deadline, after TZ becomes eligible for a trade.
The back scene is this; Boston is having a strong season but is still looking for that piece to push them into contention with Cleveland, Brown is having a very solid rookie year and is looking like a future starter. The Nets are not having the best of seasons, they are looking to cash in on a strong Lopez year to gain future assets. Sacramento are still distantly in the fight for the 8th seed but it's becoming increasingly clear that their future is not with Cousins, their wish is to remain competitive if he is moved.

The trade itself:

Boston receives: Cousins
Boston sends: Zeller, Crowder, Rozier, BRK 17, MEM 19, MIN 17 2nd

Sac receives: Lopez, Crowder, Rozier, BRK 17, MEM 19
Sac sends: Cousins, Koufos

Brooklyn receives: Koufos, Zeller, MIN 17 2nd
Brooklyn sends: Lopez

Brooklyn gets what I think is a good haul for Lopez. Two players on good contracts that can either be moved for more picks or used to make the team more competitive.
Sacramento gets a star center to replace Cousins, good on offense. They get a big haul with a starter level SF and two very good picks. Rozier gives them a shot at their pg of the future.
Boston get a star center to pair with Horford, completing the big 3. They give up their starting SF but hope Brown can step up. I feel we can give up more here and still be comfortable.

Thoughts?

Re: Boston, Sacramento and Brooklyn shake it up
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I like the thought that went into this but it doesn't really help Brooklyn at all. They don't own their picks so getting worse doesn't help them and it is not like Lopez is an awful contract

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 03:43:48 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I don't hate it. Maybe throw in Demetrius, RJ, and a pick and BKN might bite. They know how they will lose brook next year anyway...

Also not sure SAC would even consider brook. Papa, willy? They are putting chips all over that roulette spin.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I like the thought that went into this but it doesn't really help Brooklyn at all. They don't own their picks so getting worse doesn't help them and it is not like Lopez is an awful contract

Yes I agree.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 05:24:17 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
He's not a bad contract but realistically he isn't staying beyond that and it would make sense to try and get value for him before that. He's probably worth a 1st rounder instead of an early second but this does give Brooklyn more cap flexibility. Zeller is non guaranteed next year so if they decide they would like to hit the FA market hard they can. Koufos is a good center on a good contract. Agreed they probably need more.

I don't hate it. Maybe throw in Demetrius, RJ, and a pick and BKN might bite. They know how they will lose brook next year anyway...

Also not sure SAC would even consider brook. Papa, willy? They are putting chips all over that roulette spin.
Yeah it's those little pieces that could make the deal work. I'm sure we'd push for the pick to be the Brk 18 instead of the 17 but that wouldn't fly.
I think Brook and WCS would be a good fit. Remember the premise of the trade is that Sac want to remain competitive so I'm assuming they'd want to replace as much of Cousins' production as possible

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
OK so 10 days have passed and I'm just as bored at work...

So let me approach this with another attempt.. again for the trade deadline

Boston receives: Cousins, N. Collison
Boston sends: Zeller, Brown, Rozier, Hunter, MEM '19, BRK '17, CLE 2nd '17

Sac receives: Kanter, Brown, Rozier, Hunter, BRK '17, CLE 2nd '17
Sac sends: Cousins, D. Collison

OKC receives: Zeller, D. Collison, MEM '19
OKC sends: Kanter, N. Collison

So the premise is that OKC are fighting for one of the lower playoff seeds, it is clear that they need to get Westbrook more help if he is to propel them to a championship, so they ship out the Kanter contract to free up the cap space to chase Griffin in the summer. In return they get a backup PG for the playoffs and a potentially very nice pick down the line.
Sacramento, as in every Cousins trade scenario, are floundering out of the playoffs and decide to cash in on him. Brown and the Nets pick are future building blocks, Kanter is a Center to replace Cousins, he is still young as well. I think they need a offensive center coming back otherwise they are going to be fielding just rookies on the frontline.
Boston cash in a lot but not all of their assets for the big man they covet. In this scenario they keep Crowder so are making a push to win a title in the next few years.
Starting lineup of:
IT
Bradley
Crowder
Horford
Cousins

with a bench of Smart, Green, JJ, Amir, KO as well as Mickey, Collison and Jackson

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 11:49:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't really like the second one either.

I think something a bit more simplistic makes more sense

Bos - Cousins
Bkn - Gay, Zeller, Bos 18 1st, Min 17 2nd
Sac - Lopez, Brown, Bos 17 1st, Mem 1st, LAC 2nd, Cle 2nd

I think if Sacto is clearing out Cousins, then Gay makes sense to leave as well.  I don't think the 1st trade is near enough value for Lopez, but believe this one does get enough, and I don't think Sacto would be all that interested in Kanter as a main player component for Cousins.  So my trade, I believe is enough value for Cousins and Gay for Sacto, by getting Lopez, Brown, a likely top 3 pick, a future 1st and some 2nd's.  Boston doesn't deplete its roster acquiring Cousins, thus fully allowing a real run at Cleveland and the ability to add in quality depth using some of the younger players.

So Boston post-trade - 2 deep rotation
C - Cousins, Johnson
PF - Horford, Olynyk
SF - Crowder, Green
SG - Bradley, Smart
PG - Thomas, Rozier

Deep Bench - Jerekbo, Mickey
DLeague - Hunter, Jackson
1 open spot to sign a vet and send Mickey back to DLeague
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
DeMarcus Cousins is a cancer. And any trade that has him coming to Boston is awful.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So far biggest issue I see is Kings keep getting another Center in these deals. If they move Cousins they should want an upgrade at another position while getting younger. They have Kou, Pap, and WCS for Centers if they move Cousins.