Author Topic: Responses to Super off topic, off topic thread  (Read 716174 times)

Re: Responses to Super off topic, off topic thread
« Reply #990 on: October 14, 2010, 03:10:30 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
There  was a very pleasant surprise in the mail today:

An old girlfriend of mine had sent me my '88 Spalding Bird away jersey. We lived together for a year back in '97,'98 before we broke up. I actually didn't know she had it, as I thought it was in one of the boxes in the attic. I know, what kind of Celtics fan am I? LOL Well, it fit me when I was twelve and that's why I wasn't too worried. Turns out it's been with her since we broke up 12 years ago. I'd TP her if I could  :) I did text her and told her thanks for hanging on to it. Now my son can wear it when he's big enough.

That's pretty crazy - just yesterday my mom sent me a picture she'd found laying around somewhere.

Christmas 1988.  This'll be my new profile pic when I get around to it. 

IMPORTANT NOTE:  No longer have the glasses.

TP. Life is weird sometimes.

« Reply #991 on: October 31, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
LOL!!! Classic! TP to BarefacedMonk!

« Reply #992 on: November 01, 2010, 12:07:21 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
LOL!!! Classic! TP to BarefacedMonk!

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #993 on: November 07, 2010, 02:34:10 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I half saw a mouse running around my room as i was writing my paper. Not a overly rare occurrence in an old new England farm house in the late fall and winter.

Was I to take this sitting down? no my friends, for I have the ultimate weapon in the rodent war at my disposal.

Initially, the weapon was annoyed at being brought off standby (read: woken up at 1 in the morning and carried upstairs)he went back to sleep for about half an hour, but before too long, I was distracted from writing by a furious chase behind me

Grady 1, Rodents 0

If he could understand the concept of tommy points, I would lavish him with them. My cat's the man.

The hunter is mightily confused about where the mouse is now though. he has no concept of "tossed outside" as a live in cat. I like to imagine he thinks the front door is a portal to some alternate dimension, and the mouse got tossed into some sort of purgatory.

And yes, this is the most exciting thing that's happened to me all weekend. stupid law school paper.

TP, lol!

My cat Cosby is an outdoor cat, (as he was stray and adopted me, as it were), and he has the rather annoying habit of bringing the remains of his daily/nightly hunting exploits to the welcome mats at my front and back doors.

If it's a mouse, he generally leaves only the tail, if it's a bird, it's the wings and large feathers, if it's a chipmunk, he only eats the head, as I have come to the conclusion that chipmunks just plain taste bad for some reason.

On one memorable occasion, someone had come to visit, and upon entering told me that there was a nightcrawler, (large worm), on my welcome mat, (finding it an odd place to see a worm). Hearing this, we both went back out to the front door mat to investigate, and sure enough, there it was, squggling away. But something was a bit "off".

As I bent closer to look, I saw that there was some kind of small animal body parts there, and that the squiggling nightcrawler was not a worm, but rather the intestine of some poor hapless victim of Cosby's, still moving, (as it had been freshly killed).

No sooner had I discovered this, when Cosby came around the corner of the house, sat down beside (what was left of) his prize, and looked up at us with that "Aren't I just the best hunter in the world?" look on his face. He then went bounding into the house and began pigging out on his cat food.

Personally, (though I had planned on having lunch soon), it was a couple of hours before I could bring myself to eat again. I actually tried once to convert him to an "Indoor" cat, (for many reasons), but that was a very short-sighted choice on my part, as he begins destroying things if he can not get out to go on his "hunts".

So be it ... he is what he is and I live with it for purposes of his companionship, (and the act of fooling myself into thinking I'm actually needed). So now I own those rubber, easy-clean-type welcome mats, check them before anyone is expected at the door, and de-worm my "little" black fuzzy 22-pound Master-of-the-World every 6 months or so, (the rather disgusting by-product of his regular ingesting of tiny outdoor creatures).

He's a feline, afterall, and bringing me the remnants of his conquests, is just his way of letting me know he's doing his part, and far more preferrable than being a slave to the clock, (we silly humans). ;)

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #994 on: November 07, 2010, 06:08:50 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
My cats love my chinchillas (i think their favorite spot in the house is sprawled out on top of the cages, occasionally sticking their paws through the cage and trying to poke at them).  One time a chinchilla escaped and was hiding in a room full of clutter.  I went downstairs and got my cat Simba.  Probably not 10 seconds after I put him down in the room, the chinchilla came leaping out of its hiding spot, running for his life with Simba right on his tail.  I managed to get him out from under a dresser with Simba desperately trying to push my arm out of the way.

I wish I didn't live on such a busy street so I could let my cats out.  Simba especially because he just looks like a born hunter.  He's the most muscular cat I've ever seen and he's got the dewclaws.  Put it this way, neither of my chinchillas have dared to escape again.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #995 on: November 07, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Tp for the cat stories and picks, fun reads guys :D

Grady, who has a high opinion of himself anyway, has been absolutely insufferable all day.

But what can i do, he came up much in the clutch, he's been spoiled with cat treats and ear scratches all day.

Though i feel in fairness to the mouse, it should be pointed out that he has a competitive advantage. as you can see in that first pic, he has those freakish double paws that orange and whites seem to have.

Mouse didn't stand a chance against those flyswatters.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #996 on: November 07, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Grady, who has a high opinion of himself anyway, has been absolutely insufferable all day.

But what can i do, he came up much in the clutch, he's been spoiled with cat treats and ear scratches all day.

Though i feel in fairness to the mouse, it should be pointed out that he has a competitive advantage. as you can see in that first pic, he has those freakish double paws that orange and whites seem to have.

Ditto ... Cosby has a multitude of tiny fauna to choose from when hunting outdoors, but catching a mouse indoors is a whole different story ... TP for Brady's indoor hunting skills! (And a TP for Simba, too!)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #997 on: November 07, 2010, 07:00:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Those double paws really are freakish.  Funny you said flyswatters because i've seen my cat jump off a couch and pin a fly in mid-air down to the ground under his paw.  Cats are one of my favorite hunters.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #998 on: November 11, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
the text version of my Faith and Sports podcast

http://doughnutholes.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/my-audio-essay-on-faith-and-sports/

TP. One of the best reads I've had in a long time, and highly recommended. Whatever your personal beliefs may be, Faith is a universal force, and to me, one that is eclipsed only by Grace and Propitiation. Great stuff, Jeff.  (+)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #999 on: November 14, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.
This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

---R.L.B. Stevenson

TP.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1000 on: November 23, 2010, 10:03:23 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Empty your mind,
Be formless ... shapeless,
Like water.
Now, you put water into a cup,
It becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle,
It becomes the bottle.
You put it in a teapot,
It becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow,
Or it can crash.
Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee

TP!!!!

;D

« Reply #1001 on: November 29, 2010, 03:11:07 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

When I heard the learn'd astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wandered off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Looked up in perfect silence at the stars.

- Walt Whitman

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1002 on: November 29, 2010, 08:07:41 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
all these miami heat threads/discussion on cb is similar to the attention espn gives them....both are nauseating and annoying. 

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=42773.msg875457#msg875457

;)

« Reply #1003 on: December 01, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Huh?

« Reply #1004 on: December 04, 2010, 02:39:42 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Bahku, I was watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and this particular episode featured a restaurant named The Porthole restaurant or The Porthole Fountain (don't remember exactly) in Porland, Maine. I know you're from that part of Maine...just wanted to let you know...you should try that restaurant if you haven't already....yummy menu....the Lobster sandwich looked very appetising :D

Yeah, I've heard good things about it ... my sister went with a friend and loved it, and I've wanted to get there myself sometime. My folks' anniversary is coming up, so maybe I'll take the family. Thanks for the head's-up ... there's another Portland diner that is one of my favorite places, it's called "Becky's" and it's down on Commercial Street near the pier.

My ultimate favorite, though, is "The Lobster Shack" ... it's right on the water at Two Lights State Park, (Cape Elizabeth), and it has the best fried scallops, crabmeat rolls, onion rings, and home-made desserts in the world! The only problem is they're seasonal, and closed for the winter ... but for fresh seafood, there's nothing better! I always go on opening day, (and closing day), and my mouth is watering before I get there.

(I'm very hungry now). ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *