Poll

How do you feel about the In Season Tournament?

I've always liked the concept, and still like it
10 (26.3%)
I didn't like it initially, but I do now
13 (34.2%)
I've never liked the concept, and still don't
14 (36.8%)
I liked it initially, but I don't now
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Feelings on the In Season Tournament?  (Read 8795 times)

Re: Feelings on the In Season Tournament?
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2023, 09:48:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the IST was a preview of what we can expect out of Joe and the team in the playoffs, I'm not all that encouraged.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2023, 09:59:37 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Sarcasm doesn't really translate on these boards, so I can't tell if everyone is serious about being happy the Celtics are out of the IST. I apologize for being so blunt, but if serious, then what a loser mentality.

I definitely wanted to see the Celtics win this, and prove they finally can get past the mental block of winning playoff type games against "inferior competition".

« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2023, 11:38:16 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
If the IST was a preview of what we can expect out of Joe and the team in the playoffs, I'm not all that encouraged.

Well if the Celtcis shoot <30% from three, and their opponent shoots >45% from three, then ya they'll be in trouble. We saw that last year vs Miami when they shot 30.3% in the ECF from three and MIA shot 43.3%.

But literally every team will lose under those circumstances.

« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2023, 11:55:07 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 177

Exactly. It’s more of the same with this group. Painful to watch.

If they’re the clear cut favorites “best team in the league” and “guaranteed to win the title” like Charles Barkley was saying last night on tnt then they simply dont lose that game last night.

The tournament itself is pretty cool but not encouraged by the Celtics after it.

« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2023, 11:59:46 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I must be in the twilight zone. If this was a meaningless regular season loss, people would be losing their minds over how we lost to an inferior Indy team. But instead, since it’s an IST game with 500k and a trophy on the line (which still count as regular season W/L btw!), people are absolutely chill about it. Like yeah nbd, win some lose some :o
- LilRip

« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2023, 12:21:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Well if the Celtcis shoot <30% from three, and their opponent shoots >45% from three, then ya they'll be in trouble. We saw that last year vs Miami when they shot 30.3% in the ECF from three and MIA shot 43.3%.

If we shoot below 30% from 3PT and their opponent shoots better than 45%, and we make no adjustments, absolutely. 

Of course, some teams do make adjustments.  We don't, unless that adjustment is to shoot even more threes.

Also, the shooting disparity wasn't the only reason we lost.  18 turnovers and continued lack of poise were issues, yet again.  Same thing with coming out flat in the third, and playing without intensity.  Not getting to the line, and not making our FTs when we were there.

So, like I said:  not encouraging.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 12:28:57 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2023, 12:29:52 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

If we shoot below 30% from 3PT and their opponent shoots better than 45%, and we make no adjustments, absolutely. 

Of course, some teams do make adjustments.  We don't, unless that adjustment is to shoot even more threes.

Also, the shooting disparity wasn't the only reason we lost.  18 turnovers and continued lack of poise were issues, yet again.

We are averaging 32.6% from 3 on the road.  We are averaging 14.5 TOV per game on the road.  We weren't all that much below our average, which is exactly the problem.

Our scheme is to shoot a lot of 3s.  You are always going to make 3s at a variable percentage, especially on the road.  We have chosen to play small, something most on here have advocated for.  Small teams need to take more 3s. 

I don't know what the problem is with TOVs.  Not sure why we can't clean that up.

« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2023, 02:03:38 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I must be in the twilight zone. If this was a meaningless regular season loss, people would be losing their minds over how we lost to an inferior Indy team. But instead, since it’s an IST game with 500k and a trophy on the line (which still count as regular season W/L btw!), people are absolutely chill about it. Like yeah nbd, win some lose some :o

I feel like those of us who react strongly to individual losses and those of us who don't are pretty consistent though - it's one of the nice things about the board, to be honest.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2023, 04:34:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Well you can make an argument this is actually much better than a regular season loss. If we had won we probably get an extra game against the bucks (someone correct me if I am
Wrong) on a neutral court rather than a lesser opponent. We also don’t have to worry about the starters playing 42 minutes in a game in December that is meaningless to the rest of us because the nba is promoting this and players make 500k. So we get an easier schedule and avoid injuries risk with a thin team. We also avoid rushing back porzingas for something a lot of us don’t care about. It’s actually pretty good.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 04:53:07 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2023, 05:54:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Well you can make an argument this is actually much better than a regular season loss. If we had won we probably get an extra game against the bucks (someone correct me if I am
Wrong) on a neutral court rather than a lesser opponent. We also don’t have to worry about the starters playing 42 minutes in a game in December that is meaningless to the rest of us because the nba is promoting this and players make 500k. So we get an easier schedule and avoid injuries risk with a thin team. We also avoid rushing back porzingas for something a lot of us don’t care about. It’s actually pretty good.

We could still end up with the Bucks, on the road rather than at a neutral site. ;)